Duncans closed up for a few days

PeakeAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
My Duncan's were looking amazing have been in my tank for 3-5 weeks depending on the specific one. 2 days ago I woke up and they were all closed up and have been slightly opening but barley. Most of the time they are closed up tight. I haven't changed anything or added anything new to the tank. Lighting and salt mix have all stayed the same. All my levels seem to be good as seen below. I'm just not sure if there is something I am missing as it seems to only be affecting my Duncan's.

Calcium 514 ppm
Phosphate 0.10 ppm
Alkalinity 8.4 dkh
Temperature 77.8°F
PH 8.2
Salinity 35.4 ppt

20210126_172457.jpg 20210126_172508.jpg

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move it to slow flow and low light area & see if it opens up. if it does then u have your answer.
If it still stays closed then you water is the issue. Mix a fresh batch of saltwater in a container and move it (after acclimating) it to that container. use a small pump to gently move water. a small light /lamp will help too. if it opens then u have your answer.
It is usually not a good idea to change your parameters just for one coral. it might backfire and rest of your corals might get unhappy.

OP
OP
PeakeAquaculture

PeakeAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move it to slow flow and low light area & see if it opens up. if it does then u have your answer.
If it still stays closed then you water is the issue. Mix a fresh batch of saltwater in a container and move it (after acclimating) it to that container. use a small pump to gently move water. a small light /lamp will help too. if it opens then u have your answer.
It is usually not a good idea to change your parameters just for one coral. it might backfire and rest of your corals might get unhappy.
Okay this I can do, if they do open up what should I do? I can't just leave them in a bucket. Just do larger water changes till everything evens out?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate light and water flow. They do best mid tank.

Assure you are in range:

Temperature 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
nitrate < .04
phosphate < .04
Ammonia < .03
mag 1300
CA 440
alk 8-9

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this I can do, if they do open up what should I do? I can't just leave them in a bucket. Just do larger water changes till everything evens out?
it's a bit tricky. you might get ur duncan happy but other corals might not like a large water change. try to acclimate it slowly to your tank's parameters. while doing multiple water changes over a period of a week or 2. meet midway & everyone will be happy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back