Dwarf Angelfish For 45 Gallon

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
I have a 45-gallon tank that I'm planning on keeping as an Lps and Softie tank. My dimensions are 20 by 20 inches and 28 inches tall. I also have a 20-gallon sump. The tank scape has plenty of rocks and a lot of swimming spaces and holes. I was hoping to add a flame angelfish but I have heard that they need a larger tank and are a bit aggressive. What do you think is the best option for this sort of tank. Any recommendations?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels typically like a bit more room, but 45 gallons is doable for a single (1) dwarf angel. Note that they may not be entirely reef safe (depends on the individual fish a lot).

I should add: try to find the smallest one you can. And they will seek out a secluded cave/nook for sleeping, so plan one into your rock work.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great to hear. Which dwarf angelfish would you recommend.
I’d personally go for one of these guys;
Multicolour Dwarf Angel (C. multicolour) - This species is my favourite dwarf angel
Flame Back Dwarf Angel (C. aurantidorsalis) - These guys can be slightly more boisterous but its all fish dependant
Cherub Angel (C. argi) - This is a closer relative to the Flameback but they’re generally not as boisterous
Fishers Angel (C. fisheri) - These guys are a great Angel to replace the large Golden Dwarf as they have a rusty bronze appearance
Whitetail Pygmy Angel (C. flavicauda) - These guys are similar to the Fishers but the blue version :)

Overall I’d go for the Fishers or Multicolour, I unfortunately don’t have a photo of the fishers but here’s a photo of a Multicolour.
5345A09A-89F4-4201-824A-9FFDF419714C.jpeg

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'll look more into he multi colour the cherub and the flame back dwarf angel. Whats your personall opinion on a flame angel or even an coral beauty.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'll look more into he multi colour the cherub and the flame back dwarf angel. Whats your personall opinion on a flame angel or even a coral beauty.
I wouldn’t personally as although they’re ‘Dwarf’ Angels they’re really not dwarf - These guys aren’t scared to get to 5”. I’ll never understand why some of the Centropyge species are still dwarfs as many of them get to 6-7” quite happily which is the same size as many of our ‘medium’ angels.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really. That's really large. Thanks alot for that. It's abit hard finding many of these fish all the way down under in good all Australia but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Thanks for the reply. I'll look more into he multi colour the cherub and the flame back dwarf angel. Whats your personall opinion on a flame angel or even an coral beauty.
I've had each of them in a peninsula appx the foot print of a 40 breeder but about 6 inches taller. They wanted more room. They were LPS nippers. Occasionally I'd catch them getting at sps. I had the coral beauty and traded him for the flame. I gave up at that point and traded the flame angel for a flame hawkfish and a black cap.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went to a sea live aquarium the other day if i saw a black tang i think it would have been a pocket job for it unfortunately did not see 1 they had lots of yellows though
Blacks are a pain to bring up from the depths… It’s what makes them so rare is the way it takes weeks to bring them up and even then it’s rare many survive the journey.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blacks are a pain to bring up from the depths… It’s what makes them so rare is the way it takes weeks to bring them up and even then it’s rare many survive the journey.
Yeah that's the way the cookie crumbles. But hey adleast you can buy marine fish and koi without having to bend backwards for it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back