Dwarf Angelfishes for a 29 gallon tank

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience keeping an dwarf angels in such a tank (alone). For reference, the tank is:
  • Length​

31 IN
  • Height​

19 IN
  • Width​

13 IN

I've heard of angels like the coral beauty, flame angel, and the cherub angel being kept in a tank and them flourishing but what about a potters angel?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherubs/pymys stay a lot smaller and are probably the most appropriate fish.

I can not imagine my flame in a 29g, it is a pretty decent size fish and active, also not friendly at all so I would feel bad for any fish stuck in a small space with it.

Oh and my potters was just as big and active and kinda a bully as my flame.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter's will be about the same size as a coral beauty. Expect about a 3" fish. Flames get a little bigger. I don't like either for a 29 gallon.

You could make a better argument for a cherub, flame back , and a couple others.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flameback in a 29 for about 8 months until I upgraded and it didn't feel like the tank was too small for it. Granted it was a very small specimen when I bought it (1.5") and I had a pretty good amount of rock for it to swim in and out of, which gave it a lot of area to pick on as well.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub or flameback would be the ONLY ones I'd even consider, but even then my cherub uses every inch of my 120 gallon constantly cruising the entirety of it and weaving through the rockwork more than even my tomini tang. I think you could keep a cherub, but it certainly wouldn't be thriving. Also dwarf angels in small tanks can become quite mean and territorial so be prepared if you do go that route.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub or flameback would be the ONLY ones I'd even consider, but even then my cherub uses every inch of my 120 gallon constantly cruising the entirety of it and weaving through the rockwork more than even my tomini tang. I think you could keep a cherub, but it certainly wouldn't be thriving. Also dwarf angels in small tanks can become quite mean and territorial so be prepared if you do go that route.
Has the cherub bothered any of your LPS, clams or mushrooms?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the cherub bothered any of your LPS, clams or mushrooms?
My opinion on dwarf angels personally though is that if it tastes good to that particular angel, it'll eat it. They cruise constantly tasting every single surface in the tank. If it thinks that clam or lps tastes better than the seafood and algae blend you're feeding them, I imagine they'll go to town. Mine eats 4-5x a day and still pecks at every inch of the rock

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on dwarf angels personally though is that if it tastes good to that particular angel, it'll eat it. They cruise constantly tasting every single surface in the tank. If it thinks that clam or lps tastes better than the seafood and algae blend you're feeding them, I imagine they'll go to town. Mine eats 4-5x a day and still pecks at every inch of the rock
Thanks. I have a lot of nice meaty lps. Not worth the risk.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I would love to get a larger tank but all I can do right now is the 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I wouldn't get an angel past 3".

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gal tank is just too small for a dwarf angel. Even the smallest of angels like Atlantic pygmy angel (Cherub Angel) will be cramped in it and will be a terror in it.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gal tank is just too small for a dwarf angel. Even the smallest of angels like Atlantic pygmy angel (Cherub Angel) will be cramped in it and will be a terror in it.
I thought it over and I figured that I like the starcki damsel and that it would b optimal for my tank and it looks like an angelfish in a way.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is to say for sure if a tank is too small for certain fish.
I often keep breeding units of fishes. Angels spawn behavior the male would swill in a fairly Arlie circular pattern around the female, displaying his colors, spreading his fins. If he cannot do this in a tank due to space issue then I can conclude that the tank is likely too small. Also certain fish are territorial toward other fishes. If he constantly protect his territory against other fish then the space is too cramp for him and he is likely not do well long term there.
I keep Cherub, Flame and African Flameback harems in 40 and 65 gal tanks and concluded that the 65 gal is just the limiting size for Cherub and Flame Back. Too small for the Flame.
Even with the Flameback, I find that they are aggressive in a 65 gal tank. I really like them but not a peaceful tank was what I really cause me not restart this tank when I have to move my office.
In the future I may want to keep a harem of Flameback in a larger tank. They are beautiful, striking fish.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a cherub, flame back or coral beauty would probably be okay. I've had a cherub in a 20 gallon long with an azure damsel and a wheelers goby for four years with no issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back