Dying Acanthophyllia or still acclimating?

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my center piece acanthophyllia from aqua SD. However, when I received it the edges looked receeded and the coral hasn’t yet opened.

AquaSD tells me the edges were trimmed to remove old die off to make the coral more presentable. I Have photos from the vendor from before it was shipped

Is this a goner? I’m turning off my lights for a few days in hopes that will make it feel more comfortable and open up.

its been 36 hours.

6C98B1FE-719A-4CB2-A52D-170562811D2B.png 4D201B8A-8770-4A23-8A69-869D8E9FACEF.jpeg 0A0B0EB6-17CB-446F-8BD6-691CA360683F.jpeg EF9CF16D-402D-4B4D-A166-BB6A4B532F3A.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im sorry to say It does look to be like its on its way out. You may be able to save it but it looks pretty rough.

Did I read that right and you said Aqua sd "cut" the acanthophyllia....

I have not heard of that before with meat corals.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a DOA. From my experience, stay on top of them to get your full refund. Thats all I'm going to say.

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they told me. I asked repeatedly if there was a policy to refund me if it dies. I paid $650.

Also they instructed me to keep it in complete shade as if that would help it relax. From what they tell me it’s normal.

is there a way to tag AquaSD to this post have them respond? I’d hate for anyone else to be in m position...

3077A3C0-6796-48AF-8C71-BBFB0695E979.png

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what they told me. I asked repeatedly if there was a policy to refund me if it dies. I paid $650.

Also they instructed me to keep it in complete shade as if that would help it relax. From what they tell me it’s normal.

is there a way to tag AquaSD to this post have them respond? I’d hate for anyone else to be in m position...

In my opinion this is unacceptable....I have never seen or heard of any reputable company cutting a meat coral and shipping it to a customer for any money let alone $650.

@AquaSD any way to clear this up?

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This sounds similar to my experience on a $900 piece. I hope you have an easier time being made whole than me.

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds similar to my experience on a $900 piece. I hope you have an easier time being made whole than me.

Did they end up making good on the situation? I am shocked, I was under the impression AquaSD was a very respected vendor :/

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they cut down some of the old, exposed skeleton, not actual flesh.

AquaSD

We specialize and Rare and Unusual Corals!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help out here!

To clear things up, the dead skeleton was trimmed, this process is normal in the trade, to cut excess skeleton off of a coral (clean up).

We did not cut into the coral (no flesh was damaged), there would be no reason to do so. When the coral opens up, there will be no sign of any skeleton.

We believe it needs a little more time to acclimate. We explained that we have kept this piece in near darkness, corner of our grow out bin with lower blue LEDs. The buyer doesn't have a shaded area in the system, so most likely it's getting a bit more light than what it's used to, therefore not opening up. The buyer asked if putting a towel over a section of his tank, to help shade it would help, we agreed that it will help it.

Yes, Michael, if it goes south, just reach out to us, we will help out, you don't have to worry. Please continue to shade the piece, and not expose it to too much light. Once it starts to get comfortable again, feed it reef roids. It fed like a pig here!

Thanks everyone

Here's a cell pic we shot before it was sent out:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help out here!

To clear things up, the dead skeleton was trimmed, this process is normal in the trade, to cut excess skeleton off of a coral (clean up).

We did not cut into the coral (no flesh was damaged), there would be no reason to do so. When the coral opens up, there will be no sign of any skeleton.

We believe it needs a little more time to acclimate. We explained that we have kept this piece in near darkness, corner of our grow out bin with lower blue LEDs. The buyer doesn't have a shaded area in the system, so most likely it's getting a bit more light than what it's used to, therefore not opening up. The buyer asked if putting a towel over a section of his tank, to help shade it would help, we agreed that it will help it.

Yes, Michael, if it goes south, just reach out to us, we will help out, you don't have to worry. Please continue to shade the piece, and not expose it to too much light. Once it starts to get comfortable again, feed it reef roids. It fed like a pig here!

Thanks everyone

Thanks. Tank has been in full blackout. Coral appears to be more retracted than ever and I am worried it could develop BJD and wipe out my euphyllia garden. Shame, especially for such a premium priced piece.

I will keep the thread updated both on the hopeful recovery and the vendors response.

I appreciate all the help.

OP
OP
B

BTB117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help out here!

Thanks everyone

So after holding on hope that the acanthophyllia just needed to relax, after putting all my corals in a black out for days, today we woke up to what looked like brown jelly or possibly some other infection excreting from a gaped mouth. Painful but we quickly cut the powerheads and scrapped it in fear that it will spread to my lps dominant tank.

here is the last photo we have of it from night before. I am hoping @AquaSD will refund or supply a store credit for the $650. I will supply the group with an update on the resolution for future buyers.

5C08E040-9F1B-4284-BDA5-F301553DDC5A.png

Back