Dying Montipora Digitata's

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a reefer 170 for about 10 months now (dry rocks started cycling 2 months earlier), but one of my problems is trouble with my first Montipora Digitata's.

A while ago, I decided to test some easy SPS, but things have been going poorly. I know my tank is quite new and battling dino’s for a half year probably didn’t help creating a healthy biome. However, 2 months ago I started doing water changes again after the dino’s where gone and miraculously my Montipora Capricornis that was on the brink of death, is making an amazing come back.

One of the two Montipora Digitata isn’t dying (yet), but looks HORRIBLE with no color or growth (except for the algae). The second one - added after the dinos - pretty much the same, but is bleaching since this week as well. As soon as they hit the water, they are getting worse pretty fast.

I’ve measured PAR with Seneye and they’re in the 220-240 range. I have an AI Hydra 32HD. For flow I currently have 1 Nero 5 on 60% 2s pulse mode by day and 50% random at night.

Just got my ATI ICP results in too, but I don’t know what to think about it:
https://lab.atiaquaristik.com//share/37150dd898a66875d5f7
RO water is tested as well and seems to be clean, Also no spikes in parameters in the last months as far as I know of too.

So basically I’m wondering if my tank is still too new or if there’s something else I need to address.

DSC06809.jpg
DSC06808.jpg
DSC06810.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with my bigger tank that until I had significant pink and purple growth just about every stick I put in would die.

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some growing on my wavemaker. I clean my overflow quite often from algae and my urchin is a machine too, so it’s kind of hard to tell.

My tank being too new could certainly be the culprit, but I’d like to rule out any other possible causes where I am too inexperienced for.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some growing on my wavemaker. I clean my overflow quite often from algae and my urchin is a machine too, so it’s kind of hard to tell.

My tank being too new could certainly be the culprit, but I’d like to rule out any other possible causes where I am too inexperienced for.
For what I can sorta understand from your icp as it’s in another language. Didn’t look bad. I think it’s just a young tank. And maybe lights are a bit dim side for Sps.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have bubble algae, need to remove that carefully, outside the DT if possible. Some hair algae taking over on the tip.
All signs the maturity is not yet there for some corals.
Over 200 par is a little high for these guys as they are just frags, maybe 200 for a multi branch piece, but I’d use 150par right now.
All else looks good.
Ensure your parameters stay butt on with as little flux as possible, day in day out, keep nutrients in the band and stable.
Not seeing any data so can’t comment there 3F72E03E-84D3-4765-AF05-667E0642E2E3.jpeg

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have bubble algae, need to remove that carefully, outside the DT if possible.
I have an emerald crab, that's currently in the sump. He's going back and forth from the DT to the sump, because when he's done with all the bubble algae he moves on to my duncan. I place him back soon though for another run while I keep a close eye on him.

For what I can sorta understand from your icp as it’s in another language. Didn’t look bad.

Not seeing any data so can’t comment there

Here's an english screengrab from the ICP test:

ATI-ICP-2023-03-25.jpg

Would there be anything noteworthy, except for the recommendations I will be doing soon?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emerald crab, that's currently in the sump. He's going back and forth from the DT to the sump, because when he's done with all the bubble algae he moves on to my duncan. I place him back soon though for another run while I keep a close eye on him.

Here's an english screengrab from the ICP test:

ATI-ICP-2023-03-25.jpg

Would there be anything noteworthy, except for the recommendations I will be doing soon?
Those numbers look very good, keep them pinned.
Iodine low (debatable of its usefulness in reef aquaria) but I do dose this to 0.03-0.06ppm for 5 years running.

Maybe the crab will keep it somewhat in check, but won’t eliminate.

Vibrant did work well for me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers are fine. PAR for those is fine. Just need some more time. The dino was a setback for the biome maturation process. Keep adding (inexpensive) pieces. Once the biome settles and you keep those numbers it will all be okay.

Be sure to keep some nitrates and phosphates available.

Pico Reef Geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this problem has been resolved, and I am new, but I've heard SPS frags need a slow increase in light to their normal levels when first introduced to a tank. Also, yeah, water change, water change, water change. Hope they came back.

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an update. It’s not resolved unfortunately. Actually removed the digitatas as they got overgrown with algae.

Added a birdsnest recently for another go. But unfortunately having the same problem of it darkening out, even though I start at the bottom. It doesn’t really matter where I put them in the end, they will still get really dark.

Already doing 10 percent WC weekly for quite a while now. Also, finally I see some spots of coraline growing on the rocks. Everywhere else it’s growing like weed.

Not sure what else I could do except for keeping things stable and wait.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back