Eating Up RO Membranes

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go with best practice I would, especially with blowing through RO membranes since that isn't normal.

However it could still be a bad seal or just the temperature your running the unit at.
Did you drop any of the housings at some point? Could have developed a hairline fracture leading to bypass at the seal. The seals themselves can be damaged but unless your really Mishandling them and tossing them around they should be fine.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much Woodyman and all others. I've already ordered another canister and I'll order the chlorine test kit. It seems I need to bring my RO/DI station indoors.
Not a problem hopefully you get this worked out, replacing RO membranes isn't fun, especially when you've done it more in the last year then you should be doing in 5-10 years...

While you wait for the orders I'd give it a go with the unit inside after purging the line for a bit, and see how the numbers compare. Without making any changes for now other than location.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you drop any of the housings at some point? Could have developed a hairline fracture leading to bypass at the seal. The seals themselves can be damaged but unless your really Mishandling them and tossing them around they should be fine.
Can't remember dropping but not 100% sure. I ordered a new one. Should be here early next week

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem hopefully you get this worked out, replacing RO membranes isn't fun, especially when you've done it more in the last year then you should be doing in 5-10 years...

While you wait for the orders I'd give it a go with the unit inside after purging the line for a bit, and see how the numbers compare. Without making any changes for now other than location.
I'll se what I can do tomorrow. I need 150 gallons of water for my new build and I have two Brutes full right now

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember dropping but not 100% sure. I ordered a new one. Should be here early next week
They are cheap and easy enough to swap, when you get this figured out if that housing is ok you can add a piggyback for only the price of yet another RO membrane!!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that will make a difference? Are we assuming the membrane may still be good?
Depending on the accuracy of those chlorine strips and the lighting for your interpretation of the color change your carbon filters may be fine. In which case it could be the high temps and since that is relatively easy to check I would do that next while you wait on the new membrane housing.

The membrane may be ok, do you have a manual or auto flush?

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the accuracy of those chlorine strips and the lighting for your interpretation of the color change your carbon filters may be fine. In which case it could be the high temps and since that is relatively easy to check I would do that next while you wait on the new membrane housing.

The membrane may be ok, do you have a manual or auto flush?
manual flush

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your making large amounts of water at once right? Not letting the unit turn on just to make like half a gallon and turn off, to then make just another half a gallon over and over?

When you do turn on to make water do you open the bypass (waste water outlet) and let it run full open for maybe 30 seconds before closing it off to start making your water?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that will make a difference? Are we assuming the membrane may still be good?
Do you ever check your TDS going into the membrane? It's not likely, because if this were the case I think you would know, but maybe you have a fracture on your water line and your getting unusually high TDS into the membrane and by chance the membrane is still operating within it's states efficiency of ~96-98%

Again not at all what I think is your problem but knowing the incoming TDS doesn't hurt.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check in the morning and post the results.I know the water usually reads in the 250's from the tap. The flush is a "when I remember" I'd say one a month for about 5-10 minutes.
That would be part of your problem, may not be the complete problem but it is a contributing factor.

The length is fine and can be scaled back, but the frequency needs increased. Should be done at startup and in best practice ~30 minutes to an hour depending on flow rates and production, and then again post production.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check in the morning and post the results.I know the water usually reads in the 250's from the tap. The flush is a "when I remember" I'd say one a month for about 5-10 minutes.
Perform a good 5 minute flush in the morning after purging the line and then check all your values and post back. We'll get this figured out.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oof, yeah always open your bypass (wastewater) up for a while when you start making water. I think this could be some of your issue. I open mine up until I see the TDS start to drop again that's being output from the RO unit

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those rejected particles that aren't getting flushed down the brine line are sitting on your membrane which will lead to a premature failure of your membrane.

Overtime the particulates will puncture and lead to bypass of the membrane.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back