Ecotech Vortech Gyre Mode Stall ( Mobius )

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!! Since day one that I installed 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's I have not been able to try Gyre Mode due to stall error. At first the MP60 master and opposite side MP40 would work fine but the other 2 pumps would stall. Noticed that the opposite side MP40 would still be running at a very low speed but the other 2 slave pumps that would give a stall error were completely stopping when in anti-sync of the master. Called Ecotech support and they told me to do the phone shake and submit a ticket which I did and the next day I was sent OS updates from engineering. Installed updates and now all slave pumps stall out in Gyre mode. The MP40 that would run at a very slow speed and not stall out now stops like the others and stalls. Called support again and talked with two support technicians and the both told me that they believe when in Gyre that the pumps should never stop completely. They should only slow way down. I asked if they are supposed to slow down below there advertised minimum speed and both said yes which makes sense because if the MP40's ( 1600gph min ) and MP60's ( 3600gph min ) only slowed down to advertised minimum speed that would defeat the purpose of Gyre Mode. Another ticket has been submitted but I have not heard anything from them. Been 2 weeks.
Has anyone else seen this issue running Gyre ( Mobius )? If running Gyre Mode do your pumps stop or run slow when alternating?
All other modes work fine and never stall.
All my pumps are clean.

Villareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a stall error (mobius message and pump flashes red and green) as well when my mp10 switches from short-pluse to gyre modes while running my schedule through mobius. I am going to try to insert a 5 minute transition before the gyre mode.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 MP60s in gyre mode and it has been working fine. 1 master and 3 slaves. All pumps always spin.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech fixed the stall issue with a OS update 2.2.17. They were able to re-create the issue in there shop but there is still an issue they are looking at. I have a scene that I set up for a spot feed corals that stops the pumps. When the pumps restart they go back to the original issue ( pre 2.2.17 ) to where the pumps stop in anti sync and stall out. I have sent them videos and did the phone shake and submitted a report with the fault active but they are having a difficult time trying to get it to work properly. They do recognize that there is an issue with Gyre Mode. Just an FYI the pumps are not supposed to stop in Gyre. They are supposed to slow down bellow the rated minimum speed. Example MP60 minimum speed is 3600 but in Gyre they go slower than minimum speed when in anti sync. Works fine until I do the Coral Spot Feed Scene to where I stop the pumps. I hope to here from Ecotech soon. Been a few weeks but they say they are still working on the issue.

Villareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a stall error (mobius message and pump flashes red and green) as well when my mp10 switches from short-pluse to gyre modes while running my schedule through mobius. I am going to try to insert a 5 minute transition before the gyre mode.
The 5 minute transition before gyre mode worked, no stall error since.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to stop the pumps during a scene like I was trying to do or is your issue like what Villareef was explaining?

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to stop the pumps during a scene like I was trying to do or is your issue like what Villareef was explaining?
One of mine keeps stalling, but only while in gyre mode. Both are set to gyre mode on anti sync and fully stop, they don’t slow down.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the OS and see if it running 2.2.17. If not do a reset to factory settings and re-select your pumps to allow them to update to the latest OS. This did fix my stall issue but did nor fix the scene issue when I actually stop the pumps during a Coral Spot Feed. Even if you have OS 2.2.17 I would still do the reset.

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the OS and see if it running 2.2.17. If not do a reset to factory settings and re-select your pumps to allow them to update to the latest OS. This did fix my stall issue but did nor fix the scene issue when I actually stop the pumps during a Coral Spot Feed. Even if you have OS 2.2.17 I would still do the reset.
They are running 2.2.15. Doing a factory reset as we speak and keeping my fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just update 1 pump at a time. When I selected all 4 of my Vortech's at the same time the OS said it was updated to 2.2.17 but still did not work. Ecotech told me to update 1 pump at a time and that worked. Just an FYI.

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just update 1 pump at a time. When I selected all 4 of my Vortech's at the same time the OS said it was updated to 2.2.17 but still did not work. Ecotech told me to update 1 pump at a time and that worked. Just an FYI.
I just did the hard reset and re-selected the pump causing an update, but it’s still 2.2.15 :(

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screenshot of one of my MP60's. 2.2.17 is the latest OS. Not sure why you are not getting the correct version. Did you do the 3 step hard reset on the controller? If so then I then would call Ecotech tech support and ask them why your pumps will not update to 2.2.17.
Screenshot_20210719-195635_Mobius.jpg
Good luck.

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a stall error on my new MP10 with mobius. I downgraded the firmware to try and hook it up to my apex wxm which didn’t work so I updated the firmware to go back with mobius, now I get the stall error. The wet side it not stuck, I know this because when it was downgraded the wet side worked fine, it’s only after I try to update. Anyone have this happen? Fix?

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the pump from Modius.
Do a hard reset:
  1. Press and Hold the Mode and Set Buttons-(Red, White, and Blue)
  2. Press and Hold the Mode Button – It will flash Purple and Red.
  3. Press and Hold the Set Button- It will restart to solid green.
Unplug power from Vortech receiver including battery backup if using one for 30 seconds then plug back in.
Install MP10 in Mobius.
Remove any Feed Modes. This includes the default Feed Mode. Not sure why but I had too.
If using multiple modes, install a transition before and after Gyre Mode.
Setup feed modes after setting your pump schedule if using Feed Modes.

This works for me. One thing that does not work I have found out is if you use a feed mode that you program to stop the pump lets say for spot feeding, when coming out of feed mode the pump will stall when going into Gyre. I have yet to figure that one out and Ecotech could not help with that one. Now when I spot feed, I manually turn the pumps off.
Another issue I had is My MP60's one in Parent and one in Child work fine but if I set my MP40's to Child following the MP60 Parent the MP40's will stall. Again, Ecotech was no help with this issue either. Because of this I only run Gyre with the MP60's.
Hope this helps. Good luck. Let me know if you have any sucess.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the pump from Modius.
Do a hard reset:
  1. Press and Hold the Mode and Set Buttons-(Red, White, and Blue)
  2. Press and Hold the Mode Button – It will flash Purple and Red.
  3. Press and Hold the Set Button- It will restart to solid green.
Unplug power from Vortech receiver including battery backup if using one for 30 seconds then plug back in.
Install MP10 in Mobius.
Remove any Feed Modes. This includes the default Feed Mode. Not sure why but I had too.
If using multiple modes, install a transition before and after Gyre Mode.
Setup feed modes after setting your pump schedule if using Feed Modes.

This works for me. One thing that does not work I have found out is if you use a feed mode that you program to stop the pump lets say for spot feeding, when coming out of feed mode the pump will stall when going into Gyre. I have yet to figure that one out and Ecotech could not help with that one. Now when I spot feed, I manually turn the pumps off.
Another issue I had is My MP60's one in Parent and one in Child work fine but if I set my MP40's to Child following the MP60 Parent the MP40's will stall. Again, Ecotech was no help with this issue either. Because of this I only run Gyre with the MP60's.
Hope this helps. Good luck. Let me know if you have any sucess.
One more thing, if you have multiple pumps only install one at a time.

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, if you have multiple pumps only install one at a time.
Thanks for the reply. I tried this and no luck. No matter what I do, ever since I downgraded the first time to try and hook it up to my apex wxm it always gives the stall error. What I have to do is downgrade to be able to use the pump at all.
Any other ideas? It’s like as soon as it installs the newest OS, the stall error happens

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am running out of ideas but I did do a little research after noticing you tried using your Apex WXM. There are quite a few post where people were having a lot of issues with the downgrade/upgrade function. You may need to contact Ecotech service about your issue. It may be hit and miss with them depending on the service rep who answers your call.
I have zero experience with Apex. I run the GHL Profilux 4 on my 280g main display tank.
I did find this on the Ecotech web page but I don't think this is your issue.

When attempting a firmware upgrade or downgrade in Mobius always put your device into Airplane mode then re-enable Bluetooth first. This prevents any potential communication errors and allows for a quick, seamless process. To do this, follow the steps below.

Steps:

1. Open your Device Settings app
  2. Select Airplane Mode and turn on
  3. Re-enable Bluetooth
  4. Open the Mobius app

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back