ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C05FE7D0-1EC2-4FCA-BE9D-182779E3BFF1.jpeg

I got some euphyllia frags today. These were crawling around inside one of the bags. Are they euphyllia eating flatworms?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waminoa sp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a morph of the acoel flatworm and without the presence of natural predators, flatworm populations are difficult to control in aquaria. This type of flatworm has the ability to congregate and smother corals and prevent them from feeding, affect the amount of light that reaches the coral, and also these flatworms compete with the corals for their planktonic food. Basically, the brown rust flatworms if left to multiply to great enough numbers can starve corals to death.
Siphoning them up is effective but not guaranteed to get every single one.
If you can, adding either a 6 lined wrasse. lunare or melanurus wrasse will increse chance of removal as they will eat them.

OP
OP
ReadySet-Flow

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, there weren’t any on the frags themselves. Dipped and nothing came off. The flatworms I saw were all mobile and around the bags or the container I used to acclimate.

unfortunately a 25 is the largest tank I have and I don’t think there are any wrasses that would work in a tank that small.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, there weren’t any on the frags themselves. Dipped and nothing came off. The flatworms I saw were all mobile and around the bags or the container I used to acclimate.

unfortunately a 25 is the largest tank I have and I don’t think there are any wrasses that would work in a tank that small.
Try to observe more the frag/the coral, because you can have unhatched eggs, which will turn in the flatworm. The DIP usually don't kill the eggs.

OP
OP
ReadySet-Flow

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to observe more the frag/the coral, because you can have unhatched eggs, which will turn in the flatworm. The DIP usually don't kill the eggs.
Ok I scrubbed the skeletons with a toothbrush. No more flatworms came off and I hope by using a toothbrush I got rid of the eggs.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I scrubbed the skeletons with a toothbrush. No more flatworms came off and I hope by using a toothbrush I got rid of the eggs.
that's good point, you got it I hope. just observe it for future pests to be safe. And when you brush be carefull with the flesh you know ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back