El Kae's Bonsai Lagoon 50

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 update:

Well, shortly after the previous update, I made the decision to switch to Aquaforest's reef salt, and balling method. Literally after one water change, the tank took a turn and went to crap. First time ever, I had an outbreak of dynos. The combination of that and tank chemistry changing, and my corals started dropping like flies. I held on through October and November, trying to salvage what was still hanging on. Finally going into the holidays, I gave up and planned for a hard reboot going into the new year. Over the past 2 weeks, I've swapped out to a different sump and integrated UV into the return. Also got my hands on a Trident and have that hooked in to monitor the system. In the display, I pulled the previous scape and put in a new one. (not surprising for me lol) 2 weeks in and things have been holding stable. SPS wise, only the oregon tort and Cherry Bomb pulled through, though showing much battle scars. I swung by my cousin's and trimmed some of his corals to throw in as testers. So far so good. This hobby stresses me out haha.

IMG_1298.jpg
Oh no, sorry to hear about the trouble. Very interesting to follow your scapes as they change :) You’re going BB again or plan on using a substrate? Following

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 update:

Well, shortly after the previous update, I made the decision to switch to Aquaforest's reef salt, and balling method. Literally after one water change, the tank took a turn and went to crap. First time ever, I had an outbreak of dynos. The combination of that and tank chemistry changing, and my corals started dropping like flies. I held on through October and November, trying to salvage what was still hanging on. Finally going into the holidays, I gave up and planned for a hard reboot going into the new year. Over the past 2 weeks, I've swapped out to a different sump and integrated UV into the return. Also got my hands on a Trident and have that hooked in to monitor the system. In the display, I pulled the previous scape and put in a new one. (not surprising for me lol) 2 weeks in and things have been holding stable. SPS wise, only the oregon tort and Cherry Bomb pulled through, though showing much battle scars. I swung by my cousin's and trimmed some of his corals to throw in as testers. So far so good. This hobby stresses me out haha.

IMG_1298.jpg
Sorry to her about the troubles. At least you're in good spirits and continuing on. Your tank has been an inspiration man. Keep up the work.

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found your thread, I'm sorry for your recent troubles with your tank. You're a very talented reefer, I'm sure you'll bounce back in no time. Your tank is beautiful, with one of the coolest scapes I've seen in a while.

Thanks for the kind words!

Oh no, sorry to hear about the trouble. Very interesting to follow your scapes as they change :) You’re going BB again or plan on using a substrate? Following

As much as I love the look of running substrate, I'm going to stick with BB.

Sorry to her about the troubles. At least you're in good spirits and continuing on. Your tank has been an inspiration man. Keep up the work.

Thanks! It's all part of the hobby. With my constant tinkering and changes I always make, it was bound to happen.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always amazing scapes, we’ll thought out.
When you had your reefer 170 did you prefer the MPs on the sides or back wall for flow?

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always amazing scapes, we’ll thought out.
When you had your reefer 170 did you prefer the MPs on the sides or back wall for flow?
To be honest I don't recall running them on the sides, was always on the back in the 170.

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop changing things! haha
Got anxiety flipping through your RS-170 and then through this. Very jealous of your seemingly nonchalant access to premium frags. You also are giving me more confidence in trying Tropic Eden Supreme Tonga Branch Rock in my RS-170 scape (vs. making my own minimalistic scape pieces via rubble).

So are you off of the Aquaforest lineup? I was planning on dosing Triton's CORE7 with RS blue bucket.

Happy with running two 330 Gyre's?

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop changing things! haha
Got anxiety flipping through your RS-170 and then through this. Very jealous of your seemingly nonchalant access to premium frags. You also are giving me more confidence in trying Tropic Eden Supreme Tonga Branch Rock in my RS-170 scape (vs. making my own minimalistic scape pieces via rubble).

So are you off of the Aquaforest lineup? I was planning on dosing Triton's CORE7 with RS blue bucket.

Happy with running two 330 Gyre's?

Haha thanks! I'm lucky to have a few high end reefers that love to roll their eyes at me every time my tank changes. I'm sticking to the Aquaforest line for the time being. The gyres were good. I actually changed (lol) to a pair of nero pumps on the back wall. Was a pain cleaning the side glass. I have no complaints about blue bucket. My rs170 tank was at it's prime using blue bucket and brs 2part.

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such has become unsurprising with how my tank goes, I lost all my sps after the last update. I had treated my tank with a dose of Salifert Flatworm Exit. The morning after all my sps showed signs of stress and some rtn. Within 24 hours everything had rtn'd. I know it was not because of the flatworms as I had only saw a handfull of tiny ones on the glass and it was more of a precautionary treatment. I've treated this and previous tanks this way in the past with no ill effects. There must have been a change in the formula or a bad batch. All the corals are easily replaced but only ticked about losing my Oregon Tort colony which I had grown to a baseball size from a 1/2" frag I got two years ago. It finally had enough of my bs I guess lol. Luckily I was able to grab a new frag from the same mother colony. I've since moved on from the situation. Two months later and the tank has stabalized after several 100% waterchanges. After a couple of test corals showed no stress, I loaded the tank up with fresh frags this week. Let the regrowth begin... again. lol Here's some shots of some of the frags tonight.

DSC00729.jpg
DSC00731.jpg
DSC00733.jpg
DSC00758.jpg
DSC00765.jpg
DSC00768.jpg
DSC00776.jpg
DSC00779.jpg
DSC00781.jpg
DSC00782.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back