Electrical Connection Best Practices

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some (but never enough) talk regarding GFI's (GFCI's, outlets with two buttons, my personal favorite: 50G, etc) and power strips. If you're new to the hobby (or if you've not thought about it recently), don't forget that water and electricity don't mix! Also remember that at some point everything fails. Have a backup!

I just had a friend suffer an entire house loss due to a failed tank heater which shorted submerged. The circuit was not plugged in to a GFI protected outlet, nor was the strip GFI protected or surge protected.

Quick non-technical Example RE: electrical shorts:

Consider two tanks: a 100 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump with a return pump (rated to move water equal to the drain for discussion). A total water volume of 120 gallons exist. This never changes (ignore evaporation for discussion) during normal operation. Whether the return pump is running or not, there is always 120 gallons. This capacity is voltage. When the return pump is running, there is flow of water from the 100 gallon tank to the 20 gallon tank and back (via return pump) to the 100 gallon tank consistently. This flow is current. Notice that all the water that is draining from the 100 gallon tank to the 20 gallon tank is returned to the 100 gallon tank again, and no water is lost or gained in the process. Now, take a drill and drill a small hole in the 20 gallon tank. Water starts to leak out. The size of the hole dictates how much water is leaking out. As the system is running with the hole in the 20 gallon tank, the capacity inside the tanks is getting smaller. This is a short circuit! Its no longer true that the amount of water coming from the 100 gallon tank is equal to the amount returned from the 20 gallon tank because of the loss of water through the hole. That is what happens to the current in a fault. The current into the outlet will no longer equal current out of the outlet. Also true, the voltage will drop at the outlet during a short circuit, as does the water capacity inside the tanks. There is a ton more that happens during a fault, but that's all we care to know for these two electrical devices.

How GFI's work:
They are bulky outlets for a reason. They actually contain a measurement device inside of them that can measure the current flow in and the current flow out. If they do not equal (which they always should if there is no hole drilled in the tank), the circuit will trip. This happens within tenths of a second, and the current is read real time. If something is leaking in your setup, the GFI will trip. To troubleshoot, unplug everything, reset, and plug one thing in at a time until it trips. The last thing you plugged in is the problem child.

Just like people warn others not to blow off their fingers with fireworks, use a GFI! The big box stores sell portable GFI's as well as simple plug in, self reset on power loss, GFI taps. For $20, save your house, yourselves and family from a bad accident. They are required in bathrooms to trip a circuit should someone drop their plug in radio in their tub while bathing. The same principle applies here. I am always astounded when I see tanks at friends houses running thousands of dollars of equipment, all plugged in to a single outlet with series power taps, no GFI protection and no surge suppression.

Powerstrips:
I'm always very curious what this means to everyone. I worry the confusion exists that every power strip is a surge protector. All thumbs are fingers, not all fingers thumbs. Power taps are no different than an extension cord. They have X amount of outlets more than you had before. Some have fuses in them to stop from overloading the strip. A Surge protector has the ability to protect your equipment from.....power Surges! This is an increase in voltage that occurs in the system. This can happen for a bunch of reasons, most notable are lightning strikes around your area. Given the example above, imagine you were adding water to the tank with a fire hose. That's a lot of water in a very short time, the tanks will overflow. To tell if you have a surge protector vs a multi-outlet extension cord, read the back of the device. Extensions will usually say power tap. Surge protectors will say Surge Protection Device, Transient surge suppressors (or TVSS), and will always have a Joule rating. The higher the joule rating, the better the protection. This essentially tells you how many defense-men you have between your equipment and the high voltage.

How Surge Protectors work:

Most Surge protectors use something called MOV's which essentially burn open, cutting power, when voltage gets high enough (higher than normal operating voltages). This can lead to fires in some instances. A few companies makes a power strip with MOV's with a special coating that does not catch fire when they burn. This will NOT protect you, your house, or your family should something leak current in the tank. Some power strips also provide "power filtering". Don't get too caught up in the need for filtering unless you are using a UPS or are having significant problems with low voltage (modems, routers, etc) devices around your home. There are also gas discharge tubes in some surge protectors, which work via a gas filled chamber that conducts when the voltage gets too high.
NOTE
Surge protectors lose effectiveness over time. The more they operate the less useful they become until eventually they do not protect your devices. Many have LED status lights indicating protection exists. My personal favorite are the strips that shut off when they are no longer protecting your equipment. While this is an inconvenience, it ensures you KNOW there is no protection. I don't recommend this type for your heartbeat equipment (return pumps, heater, etc).

Bottom-line:
GFI's can protect you, the tank, and your belongings, including the outlet (and wire if you use a GFI breaker instead of outlet) from electrical failures in equipment. Surge protectors protect you're equipment from voltage surges that may otherwise damage or render your equipment inoperable.
I would suggest using a combination of both when possible, but if I had to choose one; GFI every time.

What equipment are people using surge protection on?

If you have electrical questions, there are plenty of people here with great advice, practices, and experience. The hobby is fun, especially when its done safely.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, thank you for the information

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surge protectors lose effectiveness over time. The more they operate the less useful they become until eventually they do not protect your devices. Many have LED status lights indicating protection exists. My personal favorite are the strips that shut off when they are no longer protecting your equipment. While this is an inconvenience, it ensures you KNOW there is no protection. I don't recommend this type for your heartbeat equipment (return pumps, heater, etc).

This is a very important point, one which I feel is either often ignored or just not commonly known.

What equipment are people using surge protection on?

My system is split across two (soon to be three - one for the DT, and two for the fish room) circuits, spanning multiple outlets. For each circuit, I put GFI outlets as the first outlet (that touches the tank/system), protecting it and the rest of the circuit. I also use surge protector power bars on all equipment that is constantly powered on; the exception could be my mixing station (heater and powerhead), or random utility pumps...

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have electrical questions, there are plenty of people here with great advice, practices, and experience. The hobby is fun, especially when its done safely.

Aaah. I see what you did there :) good write-up!

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up! Very informative and easy to understand:)

OP
OP
T

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very important point, one which I feel is either often ignored or just not commonly known.

My system is split across two (soon to be three - one for the DT, and two for the fish room) circuits, spanning multiple outlets. For each circuit, I put GFI outlets as the first outlet (that touches the tank/system), protecting it and the rest of the circuit. I also use surge protector power bars on all equipment that is constantly powered on; the exception could be my mixing station (heater and powerhead), or random utility pumps...

That's excellent! Thanks! I've been very curious how everyone protects their controller outlets since they dont have any surge supers sion nor Gfi features. It's odd to me that those strips are known to be powering submersible equipment but not GFI protected out of the box. Then again, it'd be one more part to fail.

I'm jealous of the three circuit set up!

Back