striker24!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I bought an electus mushroom coral about 2 weeks ago, but lately I’ve been noticing it doesn’t look very good, it’s either extending looking closed up or folded up, I noticed most fish stores have them in little boxes or trays, separate from the others, is that something I must do too? I don’t want it to die but I am a little concerned as to why it’s been looking odd lately along with like white stringy film in the base of where it attaches. I have added it into a little cup in the meantime to see if I can maybe find a mushroom box, if anyone can please advise what it could be and how to go about resolving the issue I would greatly appreciate it.
0FEFE544-6EB6-42A8-A7D9-A6D3124128C0.jpeg

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t need to be kept in cups, stores just do that to keep them separate so they don’t attach to rocks or float around the tank if they are unattached. What are your parameters, are they stable, what kind of lighting, flow, and how old is your tank?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They don’t need to be kept in cups, stores just do that to keep them separate so they don’t attach to rocks or float around the tank if they are unattached. What are your parameters, are they stable, what kind of lighting, flow, and how old is your tank?
+1

Tell is a little more about your tank ;)

OP
OP
S

striker24!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameter are stable, all my torches, hammers, zoas, favia, acan, and other mushrooms are fine I’m currently going fallow as one of my clowns had ich and have always done my weekly water changes of 20% since it is a 20 gallon tank and I know parameters can have crazy swings in smaller tanks if water changes aren’t addressed, my tank is 10 months old, and lighting I have the AI prime 16 HD but I’ve ran into a new issue in regards to this maybe you can help me out. I woke up this morning and my electus mushroom is missing… I placed it in a tray with rocks similar to how they have them at the lfs and my skunk cleaner shrimp was on the tray and my mushroom is gone and I can’t seem to locate it in the rock work, I’m currently going fallow, but I make sure the shrimp is fed too, is it possible it was hungry and took advantage of my mushroom and ate it? I thought skunk cleaner shrimps were reef safe, but could it be possible it picked on an already stressed out coral and decided to make my mushroom it’s lunch?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameter are stable, all my torches, hammers, zoas, favia, acan, and other mushrooms are fine I’m currently going fallow as one of my clowns had ich and have always done my weekly water changes of 20% since it is a 20 gallon tank and I know parameters can have crazy swings in smaller tanks if water changes aren’t addressed, my tank is 10 months old, and lighting I have the AI prime 16 HD but I’ve ran into a new issue in regards to this maybe you can help me out. I woke up this morning and my electus mushroom is missing… I placed it in a tray with rocks similar to how they have them at the lfs and my skunk cleaner shrimp was on the tray and my mushroom is gone and I can’t seem to locate it in the rock work, I’m currently going fallow, but I make sure the shrimp is fed too, is it possible it was hungry and took advantage of my mushroom and ate it? I thought skunk cleaner shrimps were reef safe, but could it be possible it picked on an already stressed out coral and decided to make my mushroom it’s lunch?
I doubt the shrimp ate it, it likely got blown around the tank somewhere.

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! I received some mushrooms from liveaquaria awhile back. One had detached from the rock and I placed it in a tupperware in an attempt to get it to attach. I noticed tons of pods on it and I believe they ate it as it started to melt. I don't blame the pods (and doubt your cleaner shrimp has expensive tastes in mushrooms) but totally believable that it could have picked at it as it started to disentigrate. Mushrooms are tough though and there's probably a pretty good chance it drifted away and is somewhere in the rockwork or sand.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Reef Fam! Been stuck in Puerto Vallarta since the 1st. That shroom looks like it was starting to melt. Will check back soon.
I used to live in PV, looking out my window at the snow I suddenly have an overwhelming sense of jealousy.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess it floated around the tank and got stung by another coral . Isolating it can help it’s recovery if it’s healthy enough to fight to come back . Also mild dip maybe iodine mite stop it from deteriorating anymore than it is . Good luck!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back