Elegance coral

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this guy at the lfs today, been there about a week. I had one years ago that I had for a period of a year or 2 until a tank crash where I lost all my corals. I can only assume this is an aussie since there is the indo ban still in effect and it has a flat bottom.

Been reading a lot and find conflicting information on care. Some people suggest keeping it in the sandbed will lead to infections and death and that they should be kept on rockwork off the sandbed, others say on the sand is the natural habitat and supports the fleshy body of the coral.
What's the general consensus for placement. I know moderate flow and moderate lighting and ample feedings of small food. My last one was a small specimen with shorter tentacle, only like 2-3 inch long flat base with no scrolls, probably a juvie, but did well and grew. This one is much larger with a scrolling typical mature colony shape.
Nor fully expanded yet only a couple hours acclimated.
15531927675649113899452928357652.jpg

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I've had for a little over a year now. It's in the sand under a rock overhang so that it gets indirect light and actually get fairly strong intermittent water flow.

The natural habitat for these is definitely the sand and don't need strong lighting. I know that prior to this species being imported from Australia, there were serious issues with what was referred to as "Elegance coral syndrome". The corals imported that were susceptible to this usually didn't last but a couple of months in captivity. My research seemed to support that the Australian imports were relatively hardy and didn't seem to suffer from this fate. I was very leary when I purchased mine and kept in an isolation tank so I could watch it closely for about the first 4 months. Since then it's in my DT as stated above and has grown noticeably.

Other than the "syndrome" I've never heard of sand causing an infection.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently rehomed one I have had for 4 years. It went from about 3" to over 12" fully laid out on the sand. It stayed there, I had no issues, and the only reason for rehoming, was my purple haddoni decided to move more that way. Never any issues with it on the sand.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea from all the research I did the indonesion onea were known to have better colors but always doomed in our tanks. A lot of people said the aussie ones fared better but there was still a significant amount of posters who said they had no luck with either. Seemed to be a lot of the people who thought they had aussie elegance a totally had been sold indos sold as aussies thought.

Moved it down to the sandbed, gets decent flow and is basically right under the light but it is 21inches down with the kessil 5 inches from the surface at 60% max.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea from all the research I did the indonesion onea were known to have better colors but always doomed in our tanks. A lot of people said the aussie ones fared better but there was still a significant amount of posters who said they had no luck with either. Seemed to be a lot of the people who thought they had aussie elegance a totally had been sold indos sold as aussies thought.

Moved it down to the sandbed, gets decent flow and is basically right under the light but it is 21inches down with the kessil 5 inches from the surface at 60% max.
I still have an indo that is 5-6 years old and doing fine in another tank. It is in lower light and moderate flow on the sand as well. No issues out of it either, but I know others who can keep everything alive, besides indo elegances.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the sand, it is 2yrs old, gets moderate to low flow, and same for light. I would keep it on the sand in a lower flow area so sand does not get kicked up onto it, that is usually how infections start.

Mine had an infection for the first time 2 months ago, ended up saving it by dipping in in saltwater and hydrogen peroxide. even after the infection scare, i still keep it on the sand.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the sand, it is 2yrs old, gets moderate to low flow, and same for light. I would keep it on the sand in a lower flow area so sand does not get kicked up onto it, that is usually how infections start.

Mine had an infection for the first time 2 months ago, ended up saving it by dipping in in saltwater and hydrogen peroxide. even after the infection scare, i still keep it on the sand.
Very good point about the sand on it. Elegance corals are very soft around their mouths, and I could see sand moving across them causing scratches that could get infected.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flor might be a bit much. The sans doesnt blow around a lot but IRS still moderate flow. I'll be doing a WC Monday and move it to find a sweet spot. Until then I think I'll just let it settle in and stop stressing it out more.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.facebook.com/scott.card...208378821/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab
I had an elegance that was doing fantastic for about a week and the dies over a period of days after I stirred up alot of detritus into the water column. coral was mid way up in the water column. Water parameters were correct. he stated opening in hours after he was introduced into tank and was at full extension 3 days latter.

Would detritus do this?

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy sps corals and understand people that talk about the sps bug, but I could never so an sps dominant tank. I love the movement and looks of lps so much more.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an elegance that was doing fantastic for about a week and the dies over a period of days after I stirred up alot of detritus into the water column. coral was mid way up in the water column. Water parameters were correct. he stated opening in hours after he was introduced into tank and was at full extension 3 days latter.

Would detritus do this?
Was the elegance only in your possession for a few weeks before dying? If so I'd think it was more likely its demise was because of the nature of these corals and not anything you did.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the elegance only in your possession for a few weeks before dying? If so I'd think it was more likely its demise was because of the nature of these corals and not anything you did.
yes it was. It did not show any ill signs till detritus was in water column. It wasn't due to a known disease that effects these corals. I know that one, unfortunately. grrrrr

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for a couple of years now. It was about the size of a half dollar when I got it...with one mouth. It is now the size of a softball...if not larger... with many many mouths. It is in the center just right of the setosa frag. The other elegance above the setosa was purchased at the same time by my neighbor. It was on the sand in his tank and it was in good flow and MH lighting. It did not do well. In the year or so I have had it, I have basically brought it back to life. As you can see both are off the sand on rockwork. They are at the top of the lower third of the tank with Gen 3 Radions and t-5 supplemental lighting. They are both getting pretty moderate flow. They reside in among all sorts of other corals.

image-71965.jpeg

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for a couple of years now. It was about the size of a half dollar when I got it...with one mouth. It is now the size of a softball...if not larger... with many many mouths. It is in the center just right of the setosa frag. The other elegance above the setosa was purchased at the same time by my neighbor. It was on the sand in his tank and it was in good flow and MH lighting. It did not do well. In the year or so I have had it, I have basically brought it back to life. As you can see both are off the sand on rockwork. They are at the top of the lower third of the tank with Gen 3 Radions and t-5 supplemental lighting. They are both getting pretty moderate flow. They reside in among all sorts of other corals.

image-71965.jpeg
That reminds me of the first one I had years back loved that coral and also had it perched up on a rock a couple inches above the sand.

Wife doesnt like the elegance, thinks it looks creepy like a medusa head . Hopefully it grows on her in time

Luvnreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest addition. My girlfriend and I share the habit and love of the reef so this a d a nice Lobo were her birthday gifts..can't wait to see it fully opened in the Los it was really big and beautiful.

15542144415753195115059849525416.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back