Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, My turn! My problem is GSP. @#&**&Q$ So annoyed i put this in my tanks...
To summarize that I have read in this thread:
Fenbendazole will kill Green Star Polyps, Xenia, clove polyps and some snails but my Toadstools and anemones will be unaffected. Is this everyone experience?
After the GSP is dead how did anyone remove the purple mat?

Will the pyramid butterfly target GSP?

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, My turn! My problem is GSP. @#&**&Q$ So annoyed i put this in my tanks...
To summarize that I have read in this thread:
Fenbendazole will kill Green Star Polyps, Xenia, clove polyps and some snails but my Toadstools and anemones will be unaffected. Is this everyone experience?
After the GSP is dead how did anyone remove the purple mat?

Will the pyramid butterfly target GSP?

No beware it killed my toadstools gsps a brain ! And still counting remove all the corals you want to save I lost a lot !!!!!!!!’

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I have too many inverts in my tank to remove. I have maybe 3 large rocks with sps Nd zoas on them that are covered in BCP. Has anyone tried to do a dip with this medication to avoid having to treat the whole tank?

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No beware it killed my toadstools gsps a brain ! And still counting remove all the corals you want to save I lost a lot !!!!!!!!’
Thanks for the heads up.
Take me through what you did. Of the 10 or so reports I have read I haven’t heard of this type of die off.
What weee you trying to target and how much was there?
Was there major die off of invertebrates like bristle worms or star fish that may have caused some issue?
At what point did you run carbon?

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 1mg per gallon to kill blue clove polyps. No major inverts died that I’m aware of. initially it killed the BCP and then it led to a huge rock of Gsps dying, brain, and then all of my toadstools. It was hard to watch. I started carbon a week after

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the article carbon was run after 60 hours and a major water change was completed at hour 84, 2.5 and 3.5 days respectively.
There is the potential that the increased exposure to the medicine had these negative effects.

Either way, I'm going to forgo this method and use kalk paste to eliminate the Green Star Polyps on my tank that have got to go

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP are encroaching into my zoa rock and it's time to kill them. I tried using a soft tipped toothbrush to halt them during water changes, but they spread faster than I could kill I suppose.

I just bought some medication off of amazon (Thanks for the link!). I have a 30gallon tank so I should be careful not to overdose.

I have had recent success using Joes Juice/Kalk paste.
-Turn the water flow all the way off
-Lay a blanket of the Kalk Paste over a section of the GSP (not the whole colony- Thats too much to do at once IMO)
-Leave it sit for an hour.
-Syphon the solution off of the colony.
-Wait a few days then scrape and syphon the scrapings simultaneously. I used a 3/8" hard acrylic rod cut at a sharp angle and sharpened. I stuck it in the end of a hose and viola. Slowly but surly I'm removing the GSP. It's not easy, iut's not clean and it takes time. That's the hobby for you.
-Be sure to run carbon to suck up the potential toxins released by destroying the GSP.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Wait a few days then scrape and syphon the scrapings simultaneously. I used a 3/8" hard acrylic rod cut at a sharp angle and sharpened. I stuck it in the end of a hose and viola. Slowly but surly I'm removing the GSP. It's not easy, iut's not clean and it takes time. That's the hobby for you.
-Be sure to run carbon to suck up the potential toxins released by destroying the GSP.

Will any GSP come back if the mat is not scraped from the rocks?

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any GSP come back if the mat is not scraped from the rocks?
You know, I am not sure.
GSP is some resilient stuff so I wouldn't be surprised. I would still do your best to scrape it or pull it off so it doesn't sit there and rot away in the tank. You can use something flat and tough to get under the mat and pull it away little bits at a time the best you can.

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to try this in my tank. I don't have blue clove polyps, nor have I ever purchased any clove polyps. However I have a pest that most on here believe is a type of clove, or xenia that is taking over my tank quickly. Apparently it made its way in my tank either with a frag or the live rock, as my tanks been set up for 3 years. Has anyone else dosed this with leather corals in the tank? That is really the only coral I'm worried about killing, as I'm not able to remove it.

Here is a link to my thread of the "clove/xenia" I'm trying to kill.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/looking-for-an-id-on-this.344333/

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to me like anthelia... UGH.
Have you tried using joes juice/aptasia x/kalk paste to eradicate it? I have used these to kill xenia- apply it to the center of the polyp and wait 60 minutes. Come back and siphon it away... the xenia will pretty much just melt
I'm a Cincinnati resident myself! Milford!

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to me like anthelia... UGH.
Have you tried using joes juice/aptasia x/kalk paste to eradicate it? I have used these to kill xenia- apply it to the center of the polyp and wait 60 minutes. Come back and siphon it away... the xenia will pretty much just melt
I'm a Cincinnati resident myself! Milford!

Hi there! I'm on the west side, in the Delhi area. I have not tried aiptasia X, but I do have some. I just have so much of this now that it's taking over quickly. I've admittedly waited to long to take action, and now it's a problem lol. I did end up ordering the fenbendazole last night, so I think I'm just going to treat the tank regardless.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I'm on the west side, in the Delhi area. I have not tried aiptasia X, but I do have some. I just have so much of this now that it's taking over quickly. I've admittedly waited to long to take action, and now it's a problem lol. I did end up ordering the fenbendazole last night, so I think I'm just going to treat the tank regardless.
Ugh that sucks. How big is your tank?
I’ve been systematically eliminating a an 18”x18” patch of GSP I’ve the last 1.5 months. I so stoked I got it taken care of!! It’s a perfect spot for a clam and some stonies!

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that sucks. How big is your tank?
I’ve been systematically eliminating a an 18”x18” patch of GSP I’ve the last 1.5 months. I so stoked I got it taken care of!! It’s a perfect spot for a clam and some stonies!

It's just a 29 gallon biocube. The problem is it's on a bunch of different rocks now. I still may try some aiptasia X until that fenbendazole gets here.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 2 months and I am still BCP free. The downside is that the med is still in my tanks. I did 80mg on a 100 gallon setup. If I try to add Xenia or GSP back into my system. They still die in about 24 hours. I did over 200 gallons of water changes, UV light and carbon. Just can't get it out of the tank. Just bought some high end carbon from BRS going to try that. Other tank inhabitants seem just fine.

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my plan. Let me know what you guys think.

I have 4 pieces of live rock with various sps and zoa on them that have been consumed by BCP. I do not want to dose my DT. So I set up a 5 gal quarantine tank. I am going to remove one piece of Live rock at a time and move to the quarantine tank for treatment. Once treated for 48 hours I will change the water for 24 hrs to clean tank water. I plan to move back to the DT after the clean water change to avoid treating the tank. I have some high end sps frags on the live rock that I plan to frag just to have a back up if I lose any, but from what I have read there is no die off of any sps due to treatment. Does anyone see any complications with the medication leeching into the live rock and then being transferred back to the DT?

Lastly, how does one measure milligrams for dosing? Do I weigh it somehow? I am thinking of using the small red scooper that comes with Salifert test kits for their powder solutions. And just putting in one scoop per the 3 gal of water in the take. Best I can think of.

I will post pics after the treatment with my results. Here are before pics
20180108_140345.jpg
20180108_140348.jpg
20180108_140408.jpg
20180108_140413.jpg
20180108_140445.jpg

Last edited:

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my plan. Let me know what you guys think.

I have 4 pieces of live rock with various sps and zoa on them that have been consumed by BCP. I do not want to dose my DT. So I set up a 5 gal quarantine tank. I am going to remove one piece of Live rock at a time and move to the quarantine tank for treatment. Once treated for 48 hours I will change the water for 24 hrs to clean tank water. I plan to move back to the DT after the clean water change to avoid treating the tank. I have some high end sps frags on the live rock that I plan to frag just to have a back up if I lose any, but from what I have read there is no die off of any sps due to treatment. Does anyone see any complications with the medication leeching into the live rock and then being transferred back to the DT?

Lastly, how does one measure milligrams for dosing? Do I weigh it somehow? I am thinking of using the small red scooper that comes with Salifert test kits for their powder solutions. And just putting in one scoop per the 3 gal of water in the take. Best I can think of.

I will post pics after the treatment with my results. Here are before pics
20180108_140345.jpg
20180108_140348.jpg
20180108_140408.jpg
20180108_140413.jpg
20180108_140445.jpg

I would venture to guess you will surely have the potential for it to leach into the DT. I just dosed my tank last night, and the SPS didn't seem phased. I did notice that within 2 hours the clove polyps were closed, and irritated. Good luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back