Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV light is now hooked up and running. Hope it shortens the half life of the meds.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they are not happy here the gsp thinking of removing them
2689fcbcd3babb0c83bd8116a69a279e.jpg

I would remove the gsp for sure...imo its "hard to kill" so it hopefully it will bounce back

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok what about my leathers?

I do have several colt corals which are leathery and were left in during treatment...they were unaffected. The only things I removed were my serpent stars and my snails.

I would say if you have some place to put it and you're concerned...why not move it.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have those on this post found when it comes to removing the meds from their tanks? What is the average time once you started doing water changes and carbon?

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have those on this post found when it comes to removing the meds from their tanks? What is the average time once you started doing water changes and carbon?

without a way to test for it, how would anyone know?

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without a way to test for it, how would anyone know?

Some folks had snails die during treatment. So how long did it take before they could add new snails and have them survive.

In my case, I am using the Xenia I pulled out before I dosed my tanks. After doing a number of water changes and adding carbon I tried putting one Xenia back in. When I dosed the my setup, the Xenia was the first coral to show stress in a few hours. The piece I added back in looked ok for about a day and then started to show stress and ultimately perished. So I added the UV and a fresh bag of carbon yesterday. So I am going to wait till Saturday and add another Xenia to the system and see if it survives. I figure once the Xenia doesn't perish, I can then add back my other corals and critters.

Brad Bessett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dosed the tank with them in there, it may already be too late. You can try removing them. I've been reading on another thread that Fendendazole takes a long time possibly months to eliminate from a tank once it is used. Sounds like it gets absorbed into the rocks.

After the initial heavy WCS, I continued with 10% weekly and it took 2 months or so before I felt the med was fully removed. A good indicator is Astrea snails. They were extremely sluggish even with trace amounts of med in the tank.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks had snails die during treatment. So how long did it take before they could add new snails and have them survive.

In my case, I am using the Xenia I pulled out before I dosed my tanks. After doing a number of water changes and adding carbon I tried putting one Xenia back in. When I dosed the my setup, the Xenia was the first coral to show stress in a few hours. The piece I added back in looked ok for about a day and then started to show stress and ultimately perished. So I added the UV and a fresh bag of carbon yesterday. So I am going to wait till Saturday and add another Xenia to the system and see if it survives. I figure once the Xenia doesn't perish, I can then add back my other corals and critters.

I'm not 100% sure, but based on my posts I think I added snails back in about a week after the initial treatment and 4 days after water change and adding a carbon reactor. I don't believe I lost any snails.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add meds to my display, always preferring a biological solution. Pyramid butterfly cleared my tank of clove polyps and Xenia. Too bad it didn't also eat green hairy mushrooms.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add meds to my display, always preferring a biological solution. Pyramid butterfly cleared my tank of clove polyps and Xenia. Too bad it didn't also eat green hairy mushrooms.

Unfortunately, this is very hit or miss since you cant tell the fish what you want it to do. Your butterfly worked for you, but maybe the one I get doesn't like to eat BCP. Worse yet, maybe mine picks at all my corals.

I can say this is the first and only time I have ever medicated my tank. I only did this as a last resort before I was going to give up completely, but the results here speak for themselves and cant really be argued with. Its not that it might work, it does work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back