Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note, your LR will absorb the medication. I dosed my full system and at a lower level and it has taken over 2 months to remove the medication from my system. So each rock you dose will release the medication into your main system. I replaced well over 2x my system total gallons, I tried a UV light and carbon. Not sure if my carbon wasn't the best, but recently I switched to using the ROX carbon from BRS. I was finally able to add my sensitive corals back into my system. You may want to dose all your rocks in the smaller tank and then do large water changes and carbon before you add the rocks back to your main system.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone notice if this has the same effect for the large polyp sized clove polyps?

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that they would perish with the BCP. I moved mine to a separate tank.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After day 5 when I saw my other corals being affected and the BCP all shriveled up

Will any GSP come back if the mat is not scraped from the rocks?

You know, I am not sure.
GSP is some resilient stuff so I wouldn't be surprised. I would still do your best to scrape it or pull it off so it doesn't sit there and rot away in the tank. You can use something flat and tough to get under the mat and pull it away little bits at a time the best you can.

In my case, I had a frag tank that was plumbed into the same system that had one entire wall covered in gsp. I scraped off whatever I could as a sheet with a putty knife and put it into a separate system. there were many areas left with small amounts of purple mat. After dosing, I have not seen any gsp in that system at all. whatever purple was left behind is gone

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to try this in my tank. I don't have blue clove polyps, nor have I ever purchased any clove polyps. However I have a pest that most on here believe is a type of clove, or xenia that is taking over my tank quickly. Apparently it made its way in my tank either with a frag or the live rock, as my tanks been set up for 3 years. Has anyone else dosed this with leather corals in the tank? That is really the only coral I'm worried about killing, as I'm not able to remove it.

Here is a link to my thread of the "clove/xenia" I'm trying to kill.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/looking-for-an-id-on-this.344333/

I would try Fenbendazole on that for sure, it looks like the same family. You may need to experiment with a higher dosage if they aren't eliminated by the standard treatment.

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done the treatment and all is well. My cloves are destroyed!! So far the only thing I’ve noticed is my zoas and palys are still upset but they’re alive. I also let it run for 5 days instead of the 3 so that could be it. I wanted to make sure these cloves would die. I fragged my gorgonian before the treatment and my lfs is holding it for me. I’m glad I did because the base of it that’s left has perished, which I read it would affect gorgs.

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try Fenbendazole on that for sure, it looks like the same family. You may need to experiment with a higher dosage if they aren't eliminated by the standard treatment.

Here’s the before and after of my infestation. So far I’m happy with the results as the other option was tearing my whole tank down.

870c2c5bec17d352748e5a57005ae460.jpg

26be2653a19ad816d09255d015107b00.jpg

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is what I ended up doing. I set up a 5 gal quarantine to treat separately form the DT. So far I have treated 3 rocks. I take frags from the SPS on each rock and set aside in a rack in the DT just for added insurance. Then I mixed one level scoop of the red scoop, which is basically a big guess on dosage, with approx. 3 gal of tank water in quarantine set up. Then in goes the rock to be treated. I have been running with the treatment for 48 hrs with treated water, then I drain and add clean tank water to the quarantine set up again and blast the rock with high flow and clean water fro another 24 hrs. then straight back into the DT. Seems to work amazing! All BCP DEAD! Only side effect is slight color loss of the SPS. But I am thinking it is due to lack of light for the 3 days. Hoping they just bounce back relatively quick. This is my last batch for now. Once done and back in tank I will post follow up Pics of them all. This solution really works great thus far.
20180115_154422.jpg
20180115_154424.jpg

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is what I ended up doing. I set up a 5 gal quarantine to treat separately form the DT. So far I have treated 3 rocks. I take frags from the SPS on each rock and set aside in a rack in the DT just for added insurance. Then I mixed one level scoop of the red scoop, which is basically a big guess on dosage, with approx. 3 gal of tank water in quarantine set up. Then in goes the rock to be treated. I have been running with the treatment for 48 hrs with treated water, then I drain and add clean tank water to the quarantine set up again and blast the rock with high flow and clean water fro another 24 hrs. then straight back into the DT. Seems to work amazing! All BCP DEAD! Only side effect is slight color loss of the SPS. But I am thinking it is due to lack of light for the 3 days. Hoping they just bounce back relatively quick. This is my last batch for now. Once done and back in tank I will post follow up Pics of them all. This solution really works great thus far.
20180115_154422.jpg
20180115_154424.jpg

Nice but why guess? It's not hard to figure out the dosage.

This is a great solution if you have only a few small rocks that are affected, but frankly from your description it sounds like it was more stressful on your SPS than dosing in the DT would have been. Also....if you missed 1 polyp on some other rock, it may have been for nothing.

In my case I would have had to break my entire tank down just to get to some of the rocks that had BCP, and then I'm sure many would not have fit in a 5 gal. Plus, it seemed I was always finding new growth somewhere I hadn't seen before.

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice but why guess? It's not hard to figure out the dosage.

This is a great solution if you have only a few small rocks that are affected, but frankly from your description it sounds like it was more stressful on your SPS than dosing in the DT would have been. Also....if you missed 1 polyp on some other rock, it may have been for nothing.

In my case I would have had to break my entire tank down just to get to some of the rocks that had BCP, and then I'm sure many would not have fit in a 5 gal. Plus, it seemed I was always finding new growth somewhere I hadn't seen before.
Could be a possibility. But I only had 4 medium sized rocks that were getting covered in it not to say it can't show up somewhere else. But I wanted to try on a small scale first.

I couldn't get the dosage figured out. I don't have a scale that can weigh something that low. All.i read told me had to be weight.

Also I have a ton of inverts in my tank. Large scale CUC. I don't want to lose everything if I have a chance to treat individual rocks.

But I can see what you are saying.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a possibility. But I only had 4 medium sized rocks that were getting covered in it not to say it can't show up somewhere else. But I wanted to try on a small scale first.

I couldn't get the dosage figured out. I don't have a scale that can weigh something that low. All.i read told me had to be weight.

Also I have a ton of inverts in my tank. Large scale CUC. I don't want to lose everything if I have a chance to treat individual rocks.

But I can see what you are saying.

The packets are 250mg. If you add the whole packet to a gallon of water (128oz) and dissolve then you would have approx 2mg per ounce of liquid which you could easily measure at the dosage rate of 1oz per 2 gallons to treat. :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this was asked before..........

Can this be used as a dip? I only have one frag with the small grey/blue cloves.

I saw the old fluke tabs mentioned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I still have some of these if I can be pointed to the old links on it's usage I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this was asked before..........

Can this be used as a dip? I only have one frag with the small grey/blue cloves.

I saw the old fluke tabs mentioned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I still have some of these if I can be pointed to the old links on it's usage I'd appreciate it.

Fluke tabs haven't been made in years. The Fenbendazole I have has an expiration date that is 2 years from when I purchased it. I'm not sure I would trust stuff that old.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fluke tabs haven't been made in years. The Fenbendazole I have has an expiration date that is 2 years from when I purchased it. I'm not sure I would trust stuff that old.

I'm aware of that............they still work fine for what I use them for and I only use them for dips. They don't contain Fenbendazle.

Anyways, care to answer my original questions? At least about the Fenbendazle..

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So experiment #1 failed. 48 hour quarantine soak with 24 hour clean water soak failed. 3 days after being back in DT the BCP are opening back up.

So, this time I think I will try to remove all my inverts and corals that I think will die when I treat the DT directly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back