Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut,

Thanks for getting this thread started and for posting that first article. You’ve made a huge contribution to the hobby! If not for all this knowledge that’s accumulated, I would have had to start my established tank completely over. Cheers!!
so glad to hear. I did it because like you I was at that point where I was ready to tear it all down. It saved my tank and my sanity.

Reefrookey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so glad to hear. I did it because like you I was at that point where I was ready to tear it all down. It saved my tank and my sanity.
Peanut:
Did you happen to have vermitid snails in your tank during treatment? If yes did you notice if the Fenbendazole killed them. I have an infestation of them as well as blue clove polyps. I am hopeful that treating will eliminate both! Thanks for all the info you have provided!

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut:
Did you happen to have vermitid snails in your tank during treatment? If yes did you notice if the Fenbendazole killed them. I have an infestation of them as well as blue clove polyps. I am hopeful that treating will eliminate both! Thanks for all the info you have provided!

not sure. I removed all the snails I had prior to dosing. Its definitely worth a shot, although if they start dying I would try to clean up as much as possible as quickly as possible to eliminate your water getting completely fowled up

khazmodain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pest brown clove polyps that are spreading like wildfire and growing onto my acros.. going to give this approach a try. The display is a 400g that's 36" deep and it's all over on the base rock so manual removal is out of the question. System is about 450 net gallons. I ordered Panacur C Canine Dewormer which has 1g packets at 22.2% concentration. So if I'm dosing at 2mg/gallon I'd dose about 4 grams (so 4 x 1g packets), does that sound right? Is 2mg/gallon a good target? I'm planning on removing carbon but let the skimmer keep going. Then redose again at same concentration 4 weeks later?

My system is almost entirely SPS but does have a few LPS (frogspawn, torch, favia). I have some zoas but really don't care much if they get lost in the process. My cleanup crew has been in need of replenishing for probably the last year so I'm not too concerned about any major snail losses. I do have 3 large serpent stars that I've had for 12 years that I'd prefer to not lose. Has anyone had issues with them in this process?

You can see it growing on the base of this acro:
PXL_20201231_200323707.MP.jpg

It's all over the rock
PXL_20201231_200334853.MP.jpg

Growing between the utter chaos polyps:
PXL_20210207_215130775.MP.jpg

Tomas Kaumer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
I'm about to start a treatment with fendabensazole (brown clove polyps) and I have a question.

I'm planning a 450mg dose (800liters water/211gallon) but I can see that people reccomend a second dose 14 days later on.
It makes sense to give it a second treatment since i've already done the preporation, moved the neccecary corals, starfishes and snails to antoher system during the tretment, but should I leave all GFO,carbon, uv and Rowaphos out during the first AND the second treatment? 14 days + 72 hours

I will keep the skimmer ON during the prosess, but leave UV, carbon, Rhowaphos out of the system for the first 17 days.
Then start the long healing/cleaning process with carbon and water changes

Any thougts on this?
Thanks

regards Tomas

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pest brown clove polyps that are spreading like wildfire and growing onto my acros.. going to give this approach a try. The display is a 400g that's 36" deep and it's all over on the base rock so manual removal is out of the question. System is about 450 net gallons. I ordered Panacur C Canine Dewormer which has 1g packets at 22.2% concentration. So if I'm dosing at 2mg/gallon I'd dose about 4 grams (so 4 x 1g packets), does that sound right? Is 2mg/gallon a good target? I'm planning on removing carbon but let the skimmer keep going. Then redose again at same concentration 4 weeks later?

My system is almost entirely SPS but does have a few LPS (frogspawn, torch, favia). I have some zoas but really don't care much if they get lost in the process. My cleanup crew has been in need of replenishing for probably the last year so I'm not too concerned about any major snail losses. I do have 3 large serpent stars that I've had for 12 years that I'd prefer to not lose. Has anyone had issues with them in this process?

You can see it growing on the base of this acro:
PXL_20201231_200323707.MP.jpg

It's all over the rock
PXL_20201231_200334853.MP.jpg

Growing between the utter chaos polyps:
PXL_20210207_215130775.MP.jpg
I would not recommend using the canine dewormer unless it is 100% Fenbendazole. I would think there are many worms in your tank, and I have no idea what a canine dewormer will do to them. "Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole" is what I used and is available for sale on the web.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
I'm about to start a treatment with fendabensazole (brown clove polyps) and I have a question.

I'm planning a 450mg dose (800liters water/211gallon) but I can see that people reccomend a second dose 14 days later on.
It makes sense to give it a second treatment since i've already done the preporation, moved the neccecary corals, starfishes and snails to antoher system during the tretment, but should I leave all GFO,carbon, uv and Rowaphos out during the first AND the second treatment? 14 days + 72 hours

I will keep the skimmer ON during the prosess, but leave UV, carbon, Rhowaphos out of the system for the first 17 days.
Then start the long healing/cleaning process with carbon and water changes

Any thougts on this?
Thanks

regards Tomas
I think you will be ok. One thing I would do is have water on hand to do a large water change should things start looking ugly. Other than that, it sounds like you're ready.

khazmodain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend using the canine dewormer unless it is 100% Fenbendazole. I would think there are many worms in your tank, and I have no idea what a canine dewormer will do to them. "Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole" is what I used and is available for sale on the web.
Only active ingredient is Fenbendazole. The 22.2% Fenbendazole aligns with the concentration in darco's write-up. It sounds like bristleworms are going to get nuked based on the feedback I've read. Primarily concerned with the serpent stars at this point.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only active ingredient is Fenbendazole. The 22.2% Fenbendazole aligns with the concentration in darco's write-up. It sounds like bristleworms are going to get nuked based on the feedback I've read. Primarily concerned with the serpent stars at this point.
and what are the inactive ingredients?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago, I purchased a rock that had some beautiful Space Monster zoas on it. It also had some Blue Clove Polyp on it as well. I saw the BCP, I knew it was there, I really didn't worry about it at all because I had no idea what it could become.

Fast forward....its now everywhere. Its growing all over my zoas. All over the base of sps. In my refugium. Everywhere!

I was literally about to break down my entire tank, get clean frags of what I could off my existing rock, get all new rock, and start over. It sounded like a monstrous undertaking, but the problem was so bad I didn't see any other way.

I found a few articles/posts that talked about a product called "Fluke Tabs" that seemed to be able to get rid of the BCP. I finally had some hope...but that didn't last long. I learned that at some point this product became unavailable in the US, and I don't think its even being made anymore today. I continued my search.

I then found the following article by Max Draco where he explains the process he went through to find an alternative to Fluke Tabs. I can't thank him enough for both doing all the research to find a solution (which was pure genius), and most importantly documenting it for everyone. Without this article, I would probably be very unhappy right now.

About 1 week ago, I started the process. I followed Max's example very closely. I purchased this product here. I made 50+ gallons of salt water. I removed everything that I thought would die, serpent stars, snails, leather coral, etc. and stopped skimming and using carbon. I dosed 1mg of Fenbendazole per gallon of water to be treated. I waited a little over 72 hours and started skimming again. I added back the carbon and finally I did a large water change at one week (yesterday).

Amazingly, one week after my initial dose....there is not a single Blue Clove Polyp to be found anywhere in my system. Its unbelievable, but they're gone.

Also...I miscalculated initially and I bought way too much Fenbendazole. If anyone needs a packet with enough to treat 250 gallons for only a few dollars... just send me a PM.
Amazing

shblink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brown clove polyps that just won't go away. I've done fenbendazole treatments twice now. They go away for awhile and always come back. I hate them! They always end up smothering my corals.

I think I need to take the double tap approach next and do two rounds back to back to really knock em dead.. wish me luck.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brown clove polyps that just won't go away. I've done fenbendazole treatments twice now. They go away for awhile and always come back. I hate them! They always end up smothering my corals.

I think I need to take the double tap approach next and do two rounds back to back to really knock em dead.. wish me luck.
Good Luck!!

Krheigh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having problems with brownish close polyps. Been controlling them with Calc paste but can’t get to all stumble over this fenbendazole treatment posts.
I live in Sweden and it’s kinda hard to get hold on fenbendazole here in small pacs (1l smallest and its about 200/250$ And I would need 1-2 ml)
there is some deworming drugs but they contain much other stuff I even can’t pronounce
Any hints where I can get small pacs of it ?

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having problems with brownish close polyps. Been controlling them with Calc paste but can’t get to all stumble over this fenbendazole treatment posts.
I live in Sweden and it’s kinda hard to get hold on fenbendazole here in small pacs (1l smallest and its about 200/250$ And I would need 1-2 ml)
there is some deworming drugs but they contain much other stuff I even can’t pronounce
Any hints where I can get small pacs of it ?
Try searching the web for FISHBENDAZOLE

Last edited:

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I need to take the double tap approach next and do two rounds back to back to really knock em dead.. wish me luck

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few recurrences in my tank, the dose that finally killed the BCP permanently was:

-3 treatments of 2.5 mg per gallon, each two weeks apart.
-I left out carbon for 2 weeks after the last dose, for a total of 8 weeks.

Last edited:

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few recurrences in my tank, the dose that finally killed the BCP permanently was:

-3 treatments of 2.5 mg per gallon, each two weeks apart.
-I left out carbon for 2 weeks after the last dose, for a total of 8 weeks.

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have those purple blue clove polyps. Man those sucked! Lol.
Does not surprise me the dosing to combat them. Seems common these days to fight with medicine or treat or dose.
Im catchin on!
D

Back