Emperor Angel not eating

Is he eating at all yet? I would think after the first Prazi treatment you would see a feeding response. Can you post updated video for a new assesement?
 
Here’s a video. I think it’s gotten a few nibbles, but really hard to be sure. It had 2 doses of Prazi in QT. It’s back in the main tank right now, which also had Prazi treatment. I figured it had a better chance of nibbling on food in the main tank where a lot more feeding happens.

 
J, not a fish Medic, but looks like your fish is showing signs of edema and may becoming moribund. The root cause still seems undetermined and is very puzzling for a 2-1/2 year old fish. Flukes may have been a factor but you should have seen signs of improvement. Some other event caused this decline. Maybe Bacterial? Do you run UV on you DT? Maybe the Medics can offer some advice based on your new Video.
 
J, not a fish Medic, but looks like your fish is showing signs of edema and may becoming moribund. The root cause still seems undetermined and is very puzzling for a 2-1/2 year old fish. Flukes may have been a factor but you should have seen signs of improvement. Some other event caused this decline. Maybe Bacterial? Do you run UV on you DT? Maybe the Medics can offer some advice based on your new Video.
Yes, I run UV as well. I agree it is odd and I am pretty much anticipating that it’ll just pass on at some point.

Figured I’d give it one more shot with the Kanaplex since I’ll be treating the Vlamingii tang in QT with it today.

Would be helpful to have a diagnosis as well, but who knows…?
 
Here’s a video. I think it’s gotten a few nibbles, but really hard to be sure. It had 2 doses of Prazi in QT. It’s back in the main tank right now, which also had Prazi treatment. I figured it had a better chance of nibbling on food in the main tank where a lot more feeding happens.



The angel seems to be respiring much faster than it was in the first video, and the eyes seems worse, or at least have not gotten any better. I agree with the others, after two prazi treatments, if it was flukes, I would expect it to begin to recover, at least not get any worse.

I guess I'd add the angel to the antibiotic treatment - if you don't do something, since it is worsening, it won't make it if you stay on the present path.
 
The angel seems to be respiring much faster than it was in the first video, and the eyes seems worse, or at least have not gotten any better. I agree with the others, after two prazi treatments, if it was flukes, I would expect it to begin to recover, at least not get any worse.

I guess I'd add the angel to the antibiotic treatment - if you don't do something, since it is worsening, it won't make it if you stay on the present path.
Agreed. It's in QT with the Vlamingii. Gave the first dose of Kannaplex a couple hours ago. How soon would it show improvement if the antibiotics are effective?
 
Agreed. It's in QT with the Vlamingii. Gave the first dose of Kannaplex a couple hours ago. How soon would it show improvement if the antibiotics are effective?

Antibiotics can take up to five days to stop an infection, and often 7 days to cure it.

With Kanaplex, you need to dose it every two days for three treatments. That takes you to 8 days of effective medication levels.
 
Antibiotics can take up to five days to stop an infection, and often 7 days to cure it.

With Kanaplex, you need to dose it every two days for three treatments. That takes you to 8 days of effective medication levels.
Will update here next week. Thanks!
 
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Are there other additives, medications, etc. that are good for regular use, or have on hand for emergency, to keep fish healthy?
Typically, medications all have some drawbacks or side effects, so shouldn’t be used routinely - especially antibiotics.

Regular water changes and a great diet is best…..
 
Typically, medications all have some drawbacks or side effects, so shouldn’t be used routinely - especially antibiotics.

Regular water changes and a great diet is best…..
Perfect, so I’ll continue what I’ve been doing all along. I just wish I knew what happened to this fish so I can try to prevent it.
 
From what I understand, it's safer on a Fish that has eye Flukes to do a FW Dip and then Prazi as the Flukes take a while to die using Prazi and in the process can damage the Eye. Jay would be able to confirm this.
 
Here is where the angel is at on day 7 of kannaplex (gave doses on day 1,3, and 5)

 
Looks worse to me…..
What do you think is wrong with it that Prazi and Kannaplex couldn’t cure?

Is it unsafe to put it back into the main tank to live out its days? I don’t keep a QT active year round.
 
I'd give it a FW Dip. Might kill your fish but at this point you have nothing to lose. I wouldn't put him back in your DT. In his present state I doubt he could last a week.
 
I was planning to leave it in the QT for another day or two. Videos may not be that accurate, unfortunately. I have been focusing on it's right eye, which was very cloudy and inflamed, and it appears to have improved a bit. @Jay Hemdal - what specifically looks worse?
 
I was planning to leave it in the QT for another day or two. Videos may not be that accurate, unfortunately. I have been focusing on it's right eye, which was very cloudy and inflamed, and it appears to have improved a bit. @Jay Hemdal - what specifically looks worse?
The facial erosion looks worse to me and its whole demeanor looks off.

Sorry - I don’t know what to tell you; you’ve gone with flukes and bacteria, and those are the two things I can think of that would cause this.
 
The eye cloudiness was looking a bit better yesterday, so I decided to do a second round of Kannaplex and see if that helps it continue to improve. Not ready to throw in the towel just yet...

Can't speak to the facial erosion though. Is that HLLE?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new