OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use any of that stuff, as I said before, you will find many opinions, it's up to you to weed through them and decide what's best for you. Here's what I do, and this 1st part is very important; match the sg in your your qt tank to the sg in the bag. Noting that you match the sg do your acclimation as you would normally. I would try and feed as soon as I saw the fish cruising around seemingly ok. If he is eating well and there are no signs of any issues I would fatten him up a couple/few days before dosing with gc, as it can sometimes mess with their appetite. If he doesn't eat I observe very carefully for stringy poo, pinched belly, cloudy eyes, or faded color; all signs of parasites. I don't wait for him to go more than a couple of days without eating before dosing the gc. Spend some time observing through the day for signs of other issues, like ick etc. If after 30 days he has not presented any signs of a disease, I would be comfortable moving him to the dt.

Just to make sure, you have a fully cycled qt tank.
I actually just completely sanitized the tank with bleech and vinegar. Yesterday I just put a damesial in it with quick start. I was planning on running test on it tomorrow to see where the levels are and then again on Tuesday.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just completely sanitized the tank with bleech and vinegar. Yesterday I just put a damesial in it with quick start. I was planning on running test on it tomorrow to see where the levels are and then again on Tuesday.
And for the general cure I like your idea about waiting a few days until the fish is comfortable eating. Then start dosing for internal parasites. And possibly ich and velvet as well.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much copper (I like CopperSafe) can kill your fish, too little (never hitting and sustaining a therapeutic level) will not handle your Ich or Marine Velvet problem. So the range is very important. That is why most people treating with copper today will use a Hanna [brand] Copper Checker, rather than stare at API test tubes and pray the colors mean what they say. LOL.
Just saw this ok I will get some Hannah test kits the colors are a little confusing lol.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know. I just ordered the general cure. Thank you for the help. Should I dose any destressing medications before hand? To attempt to calm the fish down? I have the option to either receive him from a facility in Wisconsin or California. Both require overnight shipping except I live in wisconsin so I feel like it would be a little less movement and stress on the fish. Than the California option. Thank you so much for the help as well.

er, what? did you order it from the diver's den section of the site? that's their facility in WI. CA is just dropshipped from wholesale in LA. if you have the choice between the two, go with the diver's den one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you will almost always be testing for copper as a result of purposely adding it to your tank (as opposed to a kid having thrown a penny into your DT -- Ha! Ha!), you want the "High Range" checker. ;)

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to hanna copper checker. Easy and very accurate.

Instead of using copper right off the bat, you could tank transfer the Emperor. Less harmful than copper, but far more stressful than observation. Can work for ich and velvet if done right, and can dose Prazi while you're at it. Though a lengthy observation should be fine, if not a 100% guarantee.

Also, following this as I intend to get an Emperor.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
er, what? did you order it from the diver's den section of the site? that's their facility in WI. CA is just dropshipped from wholesale in LA. if you have the choice between the two, go with the diver's den one.

Yes I did. It is only a 5 dollar difference so I went with the divers den .

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you will almost always be testing for copper as a result of purposely adding it to your tank (as opposed to a kid having thrown a penny into your DT -- Ha! Ha!), you want the "High Range" checker. ;)
Ok I will order that. Thank You

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to hanna copper checker. Easy and very accurate.

Instead of using copper right off the bat, you could tank transfer the Emperor. Less harmful than copper, but far more stressful than observation. Can work for ich and velvet if done right, and can dose Prazi while you're at it. Though a lengthy observation should be fine, if not a 100% guarantee.

Also, following this as I intend to get an Emperor.
Right now my plan is to put him in qt as soon as I get him Fatten him up for the first 3 days doing 25%-50% water changes everyday then treat him with either ich prevention or rid ichx for 4 days doing 25% water changes. I will then give him 3 days to rest and observation. After that treating him with general cure for 10 days following instructions on then box. After that I will observe him for 10 days and also adding some vitiams to the tank.
Would you change anything?
I am planning on receiving him Thursday because I have off school Thursday and Friday giving me 4 days to fully devote to him. So I do Have 4 days to make some final adjustments to my game plan.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be about 2"

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 5.38.01 PM.png

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
243E4141-B1B8-4198-9D8C-265C35771DF7.jpeg

Wow, I don’t think I caught that he’s coming at only 2”. I used three 2-gallon fish bowls for a 2” Purple Tang, and just moved him down the line every 2 days to a clean bowl to stay ahead of Ich and ammonia. With an Emperor Angel that small you may in fact want to consider TTM more seriously.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, I don’t think I caught that he’s coming at only 2”. I used three 2-gallon fish bowls for a 2” Purple Tang, and just moved him down the line every 2 days to a clean bowl to stay ahead of Ich and ammonia. With an Emperor Angel that small you may in fact want to consider TTM more seriously.
Hm was it successful for you? I am open to anything. I currently have a 10 gallon qt tank setup and was going to quarantine him with a orange shoulder tang that I also am getting. Hmmm could I also use five gallon buckets I guess too, correct? What would I all have to put in the tanks? Can you elaborate more on what you did?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, did that work for you. @JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Super simple. Air stone only. (I live in Florida, so I didn't need a heater, but a tiny fixed-temperature one would fit easily). Feed very lightly so as not to foul the water during the 2 days. Use something as a nothing-fancy lid to keep the fish from jumping out / dispense with having to keep bowls 10-feet apart. I used a strong vinegar & water solution to keep one bowl washed and thoroughly dried at any given time, ready to leap-frog the fish every 48 hours.

Oh, and with these small bowls, transferring the fish is easy-- pour the fish out into a net over a sink or a bucket, and then plop the fish into the next water bowl.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Super simple. Air stone only. (I live in Florida, so I didn't need a heater, but a tiny fixed-temperature one would fit easily). Feed very lightly so as not to foul the water during the 2 days. Use something as a nothing-fancy lid to keep the fish from jumping out / dispense with having to keep bowls 10-feet apart. I used a strong vinegar & water solution to keep one bowl washed and thoroughly dried at any given time, ready to leap-frog the fish every 48 hours.

Oh, and with these small bowls, transferring the fish is easy-- pour the fish out into a net over a sink or a bucket, and then plop the fish into the next water bowl.
Where you able to treat him with meds too?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t want to ‘push it’ with any overlapping or complicating factors, such as meds; for one, it’s such a small volume of water, and the fish moves-on so quickly to the next tank. But I suppose theoretically one could medicate carefully.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t want to ‘push it’ with any overlapping or complicating factors, such as meds; for one, it’s such a small volume of water, and the fish moves-on so quickly to the next tank. But I suppose theoretically one could medicate carefully.
So would I have to treat for internal parasites and ich?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back