Ems station Aquarium!

Darkhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day folks. Need some help with ideas to convert our station saltwater aquarium into a reef aquarium. The tank has been up for about two months now. All info will be helpful to help achieve the goal for my station!

Thank you all for your help!

View attachment 20180808_145509.jpg

20180808_145432.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, Thank you for your service.. There are many ways to set up a reef but in general your going to need specialized filtration and lighting to convert that tank, depending on your budget your probably looking at around $400 minimum for bottom end equipment with some DIY components and it goes up from there.. my current build I’m going to be right at 1k for just lighting and filtration and that’s for all lower end components mostly purchased on sale.. Do you have room under the tank for a sump?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Darkhorse

Darkhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, Thank you for your service.. There are many ways to set up a reef but in general your going to need specialized filtration and lighting to convert that tank, depending on your budget your probably looking at around $400 minimum for bottom end equipment with some DIY components and it goes up from there.. my current build I’m going to be right at 1k for just lighting and filtration and that’s for all lower end components mostly purchased on sale.. Do you have room under the tank for a sump?

Sorry for the late reply.. Yea looking into getting a sump and a protein skimmer to get the aquarium going good.. Hopefully with overtime I can get it done soon.. nirate level is 20ppm..so that's my first task is to bring that down.

OP
OP
Darkhorse

Darkhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Darkhorse and welcome to R2R!

The following article may help you out to start off:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

The key to a reef with corals etc., is stability of the water parameters (nutrients, foundation elements etc). Fish only are a lot more tolerant to changes, whereas corals will tell you quickly if they don’t like their environment.

Good luck and whatever you need to know just ask.
Thanks bro..working on nitrate level is 20ppm..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back