Encrusting coral back walls

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just glued a bunch of different cyphastrea to the back wall in my tank. So far so good... I'm wondering if I could see any pics of any successful back wall encrusters from other reefers here.

Here's an example from @rusgum
1674571933845.png

Looks like an encrusting monti on the left side. It really looks stunning here. My vision is to get my back wall totally encrusted by various LPS / potentially SPS. I also understand people have done this with GSP / xenia. I've heard of people even doing it with wall hammers...

1674572071180.png

1674572204274.png

1674572218209.png

Would love to get some back wall pictures going in this thread - let's see what you guys got! Thanks!

Charlie

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just glued a bunch of different cyphastrea to the back wall in my tank. So far so good... I'm wondering if I could see any pics of any successful back wall encrusters from other reefers here.

1674571933845.png

Looks like an encrusting monti on the left side. It really looks stunning here. My vision is to get my back wall totally encrusted by various LPS / potentially SPS. I also understand people have done this with GSP / xenia. I've heard of people even doing it with wall hammers...

1674572071180.png

1674572204274.png

1674572218209.png

Would love to get some back wall pictures going in this thread - let's see what you guys got! Thanks!

Charlie
Tagging along, as I plan on doing the same!

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230201_135315.jpg

I have branching cyphastrea on the back of my 55. Slow growing back there, but it's now the size of a softball
That's awesome. Mine are doing great so far. It is kind of a chore monitoring them, every now and then one will fall off and I need to super glue it back on.

But other ones are clearly "puddling" and taking to the wall....

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

1674571933845.png

1674572071180.png

1674572204274.png

1674572218209.png

Charlie
Funny second pic is my tank, lol.
Here is a few more.
My 20g nao cube.
20220903_152459.jpg

Next is a green slimer on my 80g overflow.
20230202_112002.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used super glue to glue on the back glass, does not have a strong and often they fall. What do you use to get them to stick?
I'm having difficulties with this, but getting better. Right now I have 8 dif frags glued to my back wall. I also have two urchins and many turbo snails (bulldosers lol)

Tips to get them to stay:

1) Whatever surface the frag is encrusted to, ensure it is as thin as possible. I.e., if it's on a frag disk, if you can slice the disk in half to make it thinner. If it's on a thick frag plug, try to get the frag to encrust onto something thinner.

2) Preferably once it's encrusted onto something thin, coat the back / "down-side" of the frag very evenly with super glue all on the back of it. I think it's important to ensure maximal surface area of superglue contacting the frag / back wall. Also if you can ensure the back wall does not have a layer of algae / debris (inhibits adhesion).

3) Smush the frag on the wall, and let it sit there for 30 secs while applying gentle pressure. You can very slightly smush it back and forth (to get the super glue to smash into a more "even" layer). But, try to avoid creating a super glue excess/puddle around the frag (happens if you press too hard). I feel like then you lose super glue/adhesion, and I feel like it potentially inhibits growth.

4) If you can, glue it to spots on the back wall that have as minimal flow as possible, for obvious reasons. Thankfully, my tank is LPS / lower flow, so I don't have a lot of issues with this.

Hope those tips help. I'm excited to see how my stuff encrusts, and whoever else is trying this!!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like to do this but my back wall seems light restricted in most areas below mid level although right at the middle some zoas are growing on the back wall.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the pics look great. I've been thinking about doing something like this myself and have a few questions. At what tank level is it best to glue the frags onto the glass, towards the bottom or in the middle? Also, has anybody tried an aquarium safe epoxy kind of like was used to glue rocks together or will that not stick to glass? TIA Jason

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the pics look great. I've been thinking about doing something like this myself and have a few questions. At what tank level is it best to glue the frags onto the glass, towards the bottom or in the middle? Also, has anybody tried an aquarium safe epoxy kind of like was used to glue rocks together or will that not stick to glass? TIA Jason
Depends on the coral and their light/flow needs.

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these tanks look great, I’m doing mine with GSP, but never thought about using monti. Good thing I have two overflows

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

1674571933845.png

1674572071180.png

1674572204274.png

1674572218209.png

Would love to get some back wall pictures going in this thread - let's see what you guys got! Thanks

Charlie

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back