Engineer goby

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I read that the engineer goby likes to burrow a lot and may topple rock structures, but if all of my rocks are directly on the sand, so is this really a problem?

nereefpat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I read that the engineer goby likes to burrow a lot and may topple rock structures, but if all of my rocks are directly on the sand, so is this really a problem?
Yes, that's a problem. Rocks would need to be directly on the glass, not on the sand.

Engineer gobies will dig tunnels under the rocks, causing a live rock avalanche.

OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, that's a problem. Rocks would need to be directly on the glass, not on the sand.

Engineer gobies will dig tunnels under the rocks, causing a live rock avalanche.
Sorry I meant to say directly on the glass! Brain fart

https://www.omegasea.net/

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
how are these guys when looking at having jawfish, or smaller goby species? are they prone to going after smaller fish? I was always interested in one, plus the eel like look would be awesome

Rxwanless

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes this is a real problem, I have one about 4 inches long. Dig under everything and rocks do settle and fall. Currently I have an acrylic tank so no risk of crack. When I upgrade to glass, I will place rocks directly on glass then add sand around them. Great fish but burrow a lot

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
I have one and never had a problem with him regarding digging under my rocks which i placed on my sand, but now he is to big to get under them now

How confident are you that your skimmer is the right skimmer for your tank?

• Very Confident

Votes: 178 40.2%
  • Somewhat Confident

Votes: 155 35.0%
  • Not Too Confident

Votes: 47 10.6%
  • Not Confident At All

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • I Don't Use A Skimmer

Votes: 35 7.9%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.6%