Engineer goby

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I read that the engineer goby likes to burrow a lot and may topple rock structures, but if all of my rocks are directly on the sand, so is this really a problem?

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

nereefpat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I read that the engineer goby likes to burrow a lot and may topple rock structures, but if all of my rocks are directly on the sand, so is this really a problem?
Yes, that's a problem. Rocks would need to be directly on the glass, not on the sand.

Engineer gobies will dig tunnels under the rocks, causing a live rock avalanche.

OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, that's a problem. Rocks would need to be directly on the glass, not on the sand.

Engineer gobies will dig tunnels under the rocks, causing a live rock avalanche.
Sorry I meant to say directly on the glass! Brain fart

Top Shelf Aquatics

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
how are these guys when looking at having jawfish, or smaller goby species? are they prone to going after smaller fish? I was always interested in one, plus the eel like look would be awesome

Rxwanless

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes this is a real problem, I have one about 4 inches long. Dig under everything and rocks do settle and fall. Currently I have an acrylic tank so no risk of crack. When I upgrade to glass, I will place rocks directly on glass then add sand around them. Great fish but burrow a lot

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
I have one and never had a problem with him regarding digging under my rocks which i placed on my sand, but now he is to big to get under them now

Reef Pro Corals

TOP 3 Ingredients for an AMAZING Reef Tank? (pick 3)

• Proper Lighting

Votes: 381 71.6%
  • Substrate

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Aquascape

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • Filtration

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • Livestock

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Water Chemistry

Votes: 280 52.6%