Engineer goby

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that the engineer goby likes to burrow a lot and may topple rock structures, but if all of my rocks are directly on the sand, so is this really a problem?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that the engineer goby likes to burrow a lot and may topple rock structures, but if all of my rocks are directly on the sand, so is this really a problem?

Yes, that's a problem. Rocks would need to be directly on the glass, not on the sand.

Engineer gobies will dig tunnels under the rocks, causing a live rock avalanche.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 of them years ago. Loads of fun to watch. Busy little cave makers indeed. They will dig under you rocks and they can shift and injure the fish. Though I never had that happen to mine I suppose it’s possible.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's a problem. Rocks would need to be directly on the glass, not on the sand.

Engineer gobies will dig tunnels under the rocks, causing a live rock avalanche.
Sorry I meant to say directly on the glass! Brain fart

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine once in a blue moon will build a hill but for the most part has its own little zone and sticks with it and its' 12+"

engineer.jpg

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are these guys when looking at having jawfish, or smaller goby species? are they prone to going after smaller fish? I was always interested in one, plus the eel like look would be awesome

Rxwanless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is a real problem, I have one about 4 inches long. Dig under everything and rocks do settle and fall. Currently I have an acrylic tank so no risk of crack. When I upgrade to glass, I will place rocks directly on glass then add sand around them. Great fish but burrow a lot

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and never had a problem with him regarding digging under my rocks which i placed on my sand, but now he is to big to get under them now

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back