Epoxying PVC?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have an older recirculating skimmer that I'm trying to plumb to a new system. The problem is that it's an older Deltec skimmer, so it uses VDL unions - which are dang near impossible to find locally or online in imperial units.

I'm considering hacksawing them off and attaching new PVC pipes so I can glue on Spears unions, would this work? Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have an older recirculating skimmer that I'm trying to plumb to a new system. The problem is that it's an older Deltec skimmer, so it uses VDL unions - which are dang near impossible to find locally or online in imperial units.

I'm considering hacksawing them off and attaching new PVC pipes so I can glue on Spears unions, would this work? Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance!

@Floyd R Turbo, any ideas?

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up hack sawing the PVC joints and using JB Weld plastic epoxy to glue new pipes back together. I used a coupling over the end of the PVC to give the PVC pipe/coupling more surface area to seal to.

After curing for 24 hours, the new contact points are rock solid. I'll be using PVC cement to glue on new Spears unions tonight and finish plumbing it up to the system.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you used jb weld to adapt the metric plumbing to our plumbing?. I have done that before and it works. Try to avoid the JB quick as it just dont have the same strength and if that union is a little tight it can cause the jb quick to fail. Now if possible I use sand paper and try to sand the pipes to fit and then use pvc cement but I knw that is not always an option. I make all my skimmer external to me they just work better. I have even dropped a skimmer and shattered it and JB welded it back together and ran it for about a year with no problem

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.........Now if possible I use sand paper and try to sand the pipes to fit and then use pvc cement but I knw that is not always an option.......

This is what I've done in the past, but using a round rasp file. I then give it multiple applications of the "cleaner" to soften it up, and then glue it up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back