Eshopps r-200 questions

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I pull the trigger on this - I'm building my 75 gallon reef tank and want to go with the Triton method.

Will the Eshopps r-200 have enough fuge space for a 75g dt? It's 10x7 and I don't know if I will be able to grow enough chaetomorpha in that space to make the Triton method effective...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I always dread asking these questions because there are so many threads out there and I don't want to sound lazy - but none of them seemed to answer my question (that I found).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your requirements are in regards to the triton method, but I consider the refugium section of this sump definitely under sized. I would look at the trigger system sumps emerald line.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your requirements are in regards to the triton method, but I consider the refugium section of this sump definitely under sized. I would look at the trigger system sumps emerald line.
I was really hoping I'd only have to spend $250 on the sump. Dagnabit. It seemed too small to me as well. Thank you.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other sumps less than $300 with a large enough fuge section? Trigger seems to be the most popular, but that price tag...

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Triton suggests 10% of water volume to be a fuge. I would imagine you could use that sump if you added an ATS or a cheato reactor. Both ATS and chato reactors are more effective then a fuge so I would think one mixed with a traditional fuge with good lighting would counter the lack of volume of the fuge itself. I no expert and i dont know tons about Triton but i do have a little experience with my ATS and they work once you get them dialed if if you diy it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using any method in Reefing , I highly Reccomend the additional use of the KISS method. It's a good companion piece.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other sumps less than $300 with a large enough fuge section? Trigger seems to be the most popular, but that price tag...

Yeah I really like those trigger emeralds but could not bring myself to spend that kind of money, so I dis a diy somewhat of a knock off on their design; everything said and done it was $160-180. BTW Petco is having their $1/gallon sale right now. Thing is a good size nice quality reactor alone for the algae reactor could cost you 150 alone.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an R-100 on my 75 gallon and it grows a pretty nice size clump of chaeto. I harvest a baseball to softball size chunk every week and you can always grow more chaeto in the skimmer section, it has plenty of room. The only thing is that the chaeto will not really tumble so just make sure you get a strong light source, I use 100% white channels only on a 120W black box LED that I had on my first tank.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really like those trigger emeralds but could not bring myself to spend that kind of money, so I dis a diy somewhat of a knock off on their design; everything said and done it was $160-180. BTW Petco is having their $1/gallon sale right now. Thing is a good size nice quality reactor alone for the algae reactor could cost you 150 alone.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

This would probably be the best option if you want a diy.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an R-100 on my 75 gallon and it grows a pretty nice size clump of chaeto. I harvest a baseball to softball size chunk every week and you can always grow more chaeto in the skimmer section, it has plenty of room. The only thing is that the chaeto will not really tumble so just make sure you get a strong light source, I use 100% white channels only on a 120W black box LED that I had on my first tank.
I pulled the trigger and purchased the r-200, just so I'd have enough room for chaeto - maybe an extra bit in the skimmer area.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of LED lights that came with my Nuvo Fusion 20 that I'll probably use for the fuge. Will be using the 20 as my QT tank and will get better lighting for corals and such on it.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see your build!
Me too!!! Man, it seems like its taken forever to get to the point I can put it all together!

Sump will be here Thursday - I'll have the tank plumbed and up and running by Sunday - as long as my budget can withstand some rocks.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too!!! Man, it seems like its taken forever to get to the point I can put it all together!

Sump will be here Thursday - I'll have the tank plumbed and up and running by Sunday - as long as my budget can withstand some rocks.

I think you are doing it right, I didnt take the time you have taken when i set up my tank. I also didnt rush it to much like some. If i could go back and start over i would have started with a sump insted of an AIO, ended up adding a sump later and had to upgrade some of the equipment i had purchased trying to make a AIO work. We are moving out of Portland to Corbett next spring or early summer and i have started stashing some money aside to build a bigger tank. I definitely wont fill it till I have all the pieces. I will definitely not rush the scape, my current scape isnt bad but I wish i would have spent more time on it. You are doing it right taking it slow, it will pay off for sure. ;)

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are doing it right, I didnt take the time you have taken when i set up my tank. I also didnt rush it to much like some. If i could go back and start over i would have started with a sump insted of an AIO, ended up adding a sump later and had to upgrade some of the equipment i had purchased trying to make a AIO work. We are moving out of Portland to Corbett next spring or early summer and i have started stashing some money aside to build a bigger tank. I definitely wont fill it till I have all the pieces. I will definitely not rush the scape, my current scape isnt bad but I wish i would have spent more time on it. You are doing it right taking it slow, it will pay off for sure. ;)
I'm pretty certain of what I want for a scape. 3 islands, small, medium, large. I suspect I'll knock that out quickly. Probably starting with 50 pounds in the DT and some marine pure and rubble in the sump. I've looked at what feels like millions of scapes. R2R has made this part pretty easy. R2R has made all sorts of things a lot easier! I can't imagine how hard it would have been before the internet to run a successful tank.

I only hope my tank holds up and looks good!

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eshopps R-200 arrived today and honestly, I'm pretty impressed. I really like the setup. The fuge area is the same size as the one in my DIY sump. Though I fear the flow through that portion will be lacking. Probably going to put a little powerhead in there.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim - Just wanted to check in with you and see how you’re liking your Eshopps sump...

I’ve had my R200 3rd gen running a few weeks now, started with a handful of chaeto (baseball size) and have it nearly 3/4 full in the refugium. I’m not dosing anything yet, since there’s no frags in tank, so it’s growing on nutrients from eight chromis and Biospora alone. I’m not quite ready to give the eBay-acquired “purple grow light” some credit just yet.

64782824-1ABA-47D2-90DF-61E66DDB70B5.jpeg

Hopefully you’re enjoying your system, and are already harvesting chaeto.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back