Evening

joyce1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been keeping a marine tank now for a few years and seem to be struggling with my toadstools. They never seem to fully extend their polyps and haven’t grow if anything they are shrinking since a house move nearly 4 years ago. Before this they opened fully and were a lot larger. They are all in moderate flow and situated in the middle third of my tank. My Zoas seem happy and reproducing well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6367.jpeg IMG_6366.jpeg IMG_6365.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I have been keeping a marine tank now for a few years and seem to be struggling with my toadstools. They never seem to fully extend their polyps and haven’t grow if anything they are shrinking since a house move nearly 4 years ago. Before this they opened fully and were a lot larger. They are all in moderate flow and situated in the middle third of my tank. My Zoas seem happy and reproducing well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6367.jpeg IMG_6366.jpeg IMG_6365.jpeg
Any changes in flow or lighting?
Additionally assure your phosphate level has not become elevated and that you haven’t recently added a fish that may be harassing them
Also they don’t like sediment on them and try a few gentle bursts with a turkey baster to see if any sediment dislodges off them
Add occasional iodide which they convert to iodine as well as aminos to the water

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Welcome to the REEF! It is a journey that, at least for me, is rewarding, and fun. Hope your journey brings you where you want to be.

I love this forum and the people in it. When I got back into the hobby, I found the internet added a whole new dimension to reefing. Every time I searched something R2R came up as a solution. Finally I joined, found I really enjoy the people and conversations. Great knowledge on here (but seems always two sides to the story) so always double check and proceed with what you feel comfortable with. What works for me may not work for someone else and so on. I then joined as a member, then a supporting member as I want to make sure it is here for everyone now and in the future. I also love conversing with people from all over the world.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do have one of these and it doesn't like any fast changes of any kind whether it be lighting, flow and even cleaning the tank. It also likes whiter lighting. At least mine does, but is fine in different lighting if I do it slow.
I also have it in low flow.
Don't know if that helps and
Welcome Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
J

joyce1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for all the replies.

My parameters are the following taken this morning.
Calcium 440 mg/l

Phosphate under 0.003

Alk 9.3 dkh /3.30 166 ppm

Nitrate 10 ppm

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 0

Ph 8.0

Salinity 1.023

Temp 27 / 80

The tank itself is a 300ltr display with a 50ltr sump.
Lighting tmc v2 illumenair
Clarisea sk5000
Tmc 1500 DC reef skim skimmer
Dc return pump
3 power heads set to wave and slaved together.

Stock
2 clown fish
1 royal gamma
4 chromis
21 toadstools all approx size of a 50p but have slowly shrank used to be the size of a cup.
25 head patch of zoas seem happy and multiplying regularly.
Bubble tip opening well and feeding.

Bit of a long one but want to give the SME in the forum all the info as I used to love the way they looked in the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back