Ever wonder where Aussie Acans come from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here ya go, nutrient rich water with very poor visibility.

Success with acans requires low light and nutrients(some nitrates and a little PO4 yes please!) We achieve this by feeding often and keeping an eye on the aforementioned nitrate and PO4.

I am told this was a good day for collecting :)

Enjoy!

Photos by Salty Pets pty ltd and used with permission(these guys collect insane stuff)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang that's crazy!

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC, how do you keep algae at bay with such high nutrient conditions?

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome deal, it must be gard to even tell what they are looking at in water that murky. Thanks for sharing

jmreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second jcdeng and his question on algae. I've also heard that overfeeding on a daily basis can hurt them or make them recede in size. I've been feeding mine reef roids and fauna marin lps but scaled back when i noticed some colonies pulled back while others had their feeders out.

On algae a good clean up crew comes to mind but I've busted emerald crabs and hermits ontop of my acans digging for food?

OP
OP
CherryCorals

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC, how do you keep algae at bay with such high nutrient conditions?

We count on well behaved Desjardini tangs(you have to watch them to make sure they don't go rogue and start nipping at your acans), sea hares, and tons of snails.
We also have melanurus and six lines(yes we have both in a 4x8) in each tank.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here ya go, nutrient rich water with very poor visibility.

Success with acans requires low light and nutrients(some nitrates and a little PO4 yes please!) We achieve this by feeding often and keeping an eye on the aforementioned nitrate and PO4.

I am told this was a good day for collecting :)

Enjoy!

Photos by Salty Pets pty ltd and used with permission(these guys collect insane stuff)

Aussie Acans come from Australia but the Most Beautiful Aussie Acans only come from Cherry Corals :)

Awesome Pics Todd.

Thanks for Sharing.

We see Many Pics of Corals in Tanks but Rarely do We see Pics like the ones you posted with them in the Ocean.

I never knew they were in Water Like that.

You learn something new every day :)

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second jcdeng and his question on algae. I've also heard that overfeeding on a daily basis can hurt them or make them recede in size. I've been feeding mine reef roids and fauna marin lps but scaled back when i noticed some colonies pulled back while others had their feeders out.

On algae a good clean up crew comes to mind but I've busted emerald crabs and hermits ontop of my acans digging for food?

I feed mine 3 Times a Week

Fuel
Reef Roids
BRS Coral Chili
Larry's Reef Frenzy (LRS) Frozen Food.

They absolutly Love LRS the Most!

It seems like every time I feed them LRS I see New Heads the Next Day :)

I have not seen any problems feeding them all this either.

They get Bigger and Bigger and Never Receed.

For Algae Control I Only Use Tiger Trochus Snails (Often referred to as the "Cadillac of Snails") They Plow through Hair Algae. Accept No Substitutes!

I do not like Crabs like you said.

And do not put Peppermint Shrimp in a Tank with Acans!

They are Evil.

Last edited:

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome deal, it must be gard to even tell what they are looking at in water that murky. Thanks for sharing
You are correct! They really don't know what they really have until it's on the boat! Notice the cold water too? Amazing!

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to see where my Aussie acans came from... I'm not surprised because when I do a water change I usually take a turkey baster and stir up all the detritus in my DT so it gets sent down to the sump for easy removal. The water gets cloudy and the Acans seem to love it, getting all puffed up and happy-looking.

Right now I am regretting adding hermit crabs, though, as they have been caught messing with my Acans one too many times. My Cleaner shrimp also tries to steal food from them so I've resorted to using the bottom half of a plastic bottle to protect them when direct feeding but this method is messy and annoying. I've contemplated getting rid of the crabs and shrimp but then I would have no cleanup crew to scavenge the inevitable scraps that come from overfeeding... it's a Catch 22, I guess?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to see where my Aussie acans came from... I'm not surprised because when I do a water change I usually take a turkey baster and stir up all the detritus in my DT so it gets sent down to the sump for easy removal. The water gets cloudy and the Acans seem to love it, getting all puffed up and happy-looking.

Right now I am regretting adding hermit crabs, though, as they have been caught messing with my Acans one too many times. My Cleaner shrimp also tries to steal food from them so I've resorted to using the bottom half of a plastic bottle to protect them when direct feeding but this method is messy and annoying. I've contemplated getting rid of the crabs and shrimp but then I would have no cleanup crew to scavenge the inevitable scraps that come from overfeeding... it's a Catch 22, I guess?

Why not Get Snails?

They do an Awesome Job on Algae.

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not Get Snails?

They do an Awesome Job on Algae.

Here in Taiwan, Margarita snails are all you can typically find. I have a couple, but they mainly stick to the glass rather than moving throughout the tank. I guess I would need something that can clean the substrate of excess food without bothering the Acans.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have to try to feed each polyp of the acan colony or does feeding just some of the heads result in growth and color for whole colony?

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to try to feed each polyp of the acan colony or does feeding just some of the heads result in growth and color for whole colony?

+1 on this question... I was wondering the same thing.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine 3 Times a Week

Fuel
Reef Roids
BRS Coral Chili
Larry's Reef Frenzy (LRS) Frozen Food.

They absolutly Love LRS the Most!

It seems like every time I feed them LRS I see New Heads the Next Day :)

I have not seen any problems feeding them all this either.

They get Bigger and Bigger and Never Receed.

For Algae Control I Only Use Tiger Trochus Snails (Often referred to as the "Cadillac of Snails") They Plow through Hair Algae. Accept No Substitutes!

I do not like Crabs like you said.

And do not put Peppermint Shrimp in a Tank with Acans!

They are Evil.

Where do you get your tiger trochus? Are they the same as banded trochus?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back