Examining the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture | BRStv Investigates

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get over how ugly these fixtures are. Looks like they took old dual bulb T5 fixtures, added a metal strap on each end to tie them together and one retrofit bracket center and called it a new thing. Imagine if this was a sleek, one piece fixture, would be a hundred times better.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job aquaticlife! Not exactly a brand that commanded a lot of excitement in hardcore reefers before, so it's great to see they nailed this so well.

As for me, I keep waiting for someone to develop a OLED light for reef tanks, we can't be all that far from it. Think laptop screen - make them cover the surface of standard aquariums while being a quarter inch thick and provide a totally uniform light over the entire surface... It's nice to dream at least

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get over how ugly these fixtures are. Looks like they took old dual bulb T5 fixtures, added a metal strap on each end to tie them together and one retrofit bracket center and called it a new thing. Imagine if this was a sleek, one piece fixture, would be a hundred times better.

I actually think it looks great lol.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thus far there is no method to get comparable output in LED vs T5 within a tube. And like rtparty stated the previous popular brand had inconsistent behavior on dimmable HEP ballasts used in dimmable ATI Fixtures (as well as it was only about 75% of the output).

Actually, that is too simplistic of an explanation...
Need to really gut the mis-matched electronics though..
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/b/bridgelux/eb-series-modules
  • High efficacy, up to 159 lm/W, and a wide lumen range with two times the overdrive capability
  • Lumen output of up to 2,270 lm, 4,450 lm, and 8,900 lm for 280 mm, 560 mm and 1,120 mm modules
Benefits

• No separate heat sinking required
  • Reliable use at elevated currents enables greater design flexibility
  • Easy installation using mounting holes and connectors

F54/T5/HO - 54 Watt - T5 High Output - Programmed Start ... F54T5 (4 ft.) ... hours operating at 5,000 lumens initially and an average visual light of 4,650 lumens.

Now high k or royal blue.. now that is an issue.. and cost.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job aquaticlife! Not exactly a brand that commanded a lot of excitement in hardcore reefers before, so it's great to see they nailed this so well.

As for me, I keep waiting for someone to develop a OLED light for reef tanks, we can't be all that far from it. Think laptop screen - make them cover the surface of standard aquariums while being a quarter inch thick and provide a totally uniform light over the entire surface... It's nice to dream at least
That would be a very cool concept!

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL , true words, that's what it is. Cord placement and such could be a lot better but it does meet my expectations for the price point.

I think the goal here was absolutely to make it low cost. There is a lot of risk investing in ageing technology but if this takes off I think you will see competitive products.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will these ship with bulbs ? what bulbs were used over the DT in the video?
My request is 2/4 bulb operation 1 front 1 back etc. What started as supplemental t5's is now a t5 lighting solution with supplemental LED's... and as always great job and thanks for the good work

They do not ship with bulbs, so we used ATI Blue Plus for all testing. :)

-Randy

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Randy
Randy,

Do you think the Apex Lunar lights would be a good match with this fixture and Kessil 360's?

And if so, why do you make them so hard to find on your website? :confused:

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
Do you think the Apex Lunar lights would be a good match with this fixture and Kessil 360's?
And if so, why do you make them so hard to find on your website? :confused:

Sure! Those would probably work really well with these fixtures. :) Our search function works really well! Try typing in “LSM” and you’ll see the module and lights. ;)

-Randy

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Randy

According to Dave at Aquatic Life they are actually recommending ATI Bulbs for use in their fixtures. They no longer offer bulbs so ours are being recommended. (at least this is what he told me at Reefapalooza)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atinorthnamerica time to strap 2 dual bulb fixtures together

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I will accept a 60 inch fixture.

I will be...cough......dropping in 4 Kessil A360s and 3 Hydra 52s along with a 4-5 light string of apex lunar lights.

Just let me know when the 60 inch fixtures and extra brackets are in...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! Those would probably work really well with these fixtures. :) Our search function works really well! Try typing in “LSM” and you’ll see the module and lights. ;)

-Randy
I'm thinking they might sell a bit better if you would put them under.. I don't know... LED lighting? Or possibly under Apex Modules in the controller section? :p

Honestly, I had no idea these existed or that you guys stocked them until I found them on a google link that took me to BRS. I tried to find them again on your website and finally re-found them when I searched for "lunar". ;Blackeye

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking they might sell a bit better if you would put them under.. I don't know... LED lighting? Or possibly under Apex Modules in the controller section? [emoji14]

Honestly, I had no idea these existed or that you guys stocked them until I found them on a google link that took me to BRS. I tried to find them again on your website and finally re-found them when I searched for "lunar". ;Blackeye
They are plug and play and easy to mount to any kind of mounting frame, you'll like them. Canopy is better so you don't see wires.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are plug and play and easy to mount to any kind of mounting frame, you'll like them. Canopy is better so you don't see wires.
I'm thinking these would mount well with the wires run along with the Kessil A360 wires on this fixture.

I keep going back and forth between 3 of the Kessils or 2 Radion XR30 pro's. My main reason for thinking the radions was a lack of a good moonlight option. I think these might fit the bill since I do use an Apex.

So many choices!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking these would mount well with the wires run along with the Kessil A360 wires on this fixture.

I keep going back and forth between 3 of the Kessils or 2 Radion XR30 pro's. My main reason for thinking the radions was a lack of a good moonlight option. I think these might fit the bill since I do use an Apex.

So many choices!
The LSM has one continuous string of lights, not a separate wire for each light. You won't be able to run it along the Kessil wires.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LSM has one continuous string of lights, not a separate wire for each light. You won't be able to run it along the Kessil wires.
The Kessils would all be Apex controlled also, so their control wiring would also be jumped together.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to why Aquaticlife didn't allow a mounting option for their own single point LED, the Halo lights? Seems like they would work well in this fixture...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back