Existing fish chasing new additions

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40G Breeder mixed reef that is stocked with a pair of ocellaris clowns, black cap basslet, midas blenny, starcki damsel, and a pair of banggai cardinals. The black cap, midas, clowns, and starcki all stay on the right side of the tank for some reason. There's some occasional flaring and displaying but everyone coexists. Only the cardinals hangout on the left.

Today I found a pink streak wrasse and sunburst anthias at my LFS for a solid deal. I figured that I had half a tank that was unoccupied, and both of these fish have been on my wish list for a while, so I decided to get them. Upon introduction the existing fish have been chasing the new additions non stop. The anthias is hiding behind the overflow and the wrasse is in the rocks somewhere.

I realize the new additions are both passive in nature. So am I setting them up for demise? Are the new fish likely just establishing their dominance? I'm hoping that the aggression diminishes after a day or so, but I'm not sure. Would an acclimation box make a difference?

Input/advice is welcomed.

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns and damsels can be quite aggressive with new fish, not sure about the others as I don’t have experience with them, but from my experience damsels and clowns can be quite aggressive to new additions, especially if they have been in the tank for a long time. Sometimes it subsides, and sometimes it’s relentless. I would monitor them closely and if need be put them in an acclimation box let them introduce to each other or return them if it gets really bad.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back