Exotic Marine Overflow box

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NaH20nerd I finally got the package! First impressions are that this thing is built like a tank. One thing I know I'll like better is being able to see into the internal box. The Tideline overflow had the removable weirs. When you remove the weir / cover the bottom of it is about an inch and a half below the water line. The first time I removed it my heart stopped because of the sudden rush of water into the sump...thankfully the sump was large enough to handle it.

First two pics are straight out of the box and bubble wrap removed. The internal box has braces to help with bending / warping. The lid for the external box is 3 layers so that's not going to warp either. You can see on the external box they also added a second layer around the holes. I'm thinking / hoping I can use my existing drain lines with minimal altering. It'll probably be next weekend before I get time to work on it.
IMG_20190209_105204041.jpg

IMG_20190209_105235072.jpg

IMG_20190209_110659932.jpg

IMG_20190209_110651985.jpg

IMG_20190209_203601599.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking. Looking forward to photos of the install and putting it to use. It almost makes me want to rebuild my 40g cube and ditch the bottom drilled overflow!

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially planned to install the overflow next weekend but realized I had everything I needed to make any alterations to the plumbing. Install was a breeze...remove the old and install the new. No leaks from any bulkheads at all. The only thing I had to make sure to do was level the interior box. There are no weirs so the "overflow" areas need to be level. I didn't even have to alter the plumbing which was a big plus!!! I turned the return pump on to refill the tank. I was watching the water rise and double checking everything the back of the tank and saw the water reach the overflow areas. I was standing behind the tank and thought the return pump had turn off for some reason because I wasn't hearing any water in either box. When I saw the pump was running I realized this thing is DEAD SILENT!!! Since there are no weirs to break up the water which is what apparently causes most waterfall noise, the water simply runs down the inside of the box. I only had to make a minor adjustment to the gate valve. Total time was about half an hour to remove the old, silicone the plumbing where it screws into the bulkheads on the bottom of the exterior box to prevent leaks and install the new.

IMG_20190210_124315429.jpg

IMG_20190210_124223617.jpg

The water noise you hear is where the water runs from the initial drain area of the sump into the filter sock section. If I can get that silent it'll just be the icing on the cake!

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I realized over the weekend is I can ramp my return pump back up! I had to reduce it to about 40%...any higher and it was pushing too much water into the old overflow causing major waterfall noise.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I realized over the weekend is I can ramp my return pump back up! I had to reduce it to about 40%...any higher and it was pushing too much water into the old overflow causing major waterfall noise.

Hey man. I know it's an old post but im thinking of converting my Eclipse L overflow into this toothless style. Can the .5 inch overflow area handle high flow?

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. I know it's an old post but im thinking of converting my Eclipse L overflow into this toothless style. Can the .5 inch overflow area handle high flow?
I'm not sure how much flow they can handle. The slots in mine are 5" wide and there's three of them. I'm using a Varios 6 pump and have it running at 50%. You can email Taylor and ask. He's really good to work with.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eshopps Eclipse L overflow. Problem is the glass people cut the holes in the back glass too high so when the box is installed a section if it is out of the tank. I plan to cut the higher section which will leave me about 2 inches of overflow so I was contemplating just removing the teeth, leave a .5 inch gap like the the Exotic and adding a 1inch acrylic strip above.

Please see pics for my issue.
20200409_172956.jpg

otyrrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that was a straight swap from the 16" Tide line overflow to the 20" Exotic Marine?

Is it still working well, were there any issues with water level changing in the tank?

I'm thinking of doing the same with a planet aquarium build.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that was a straight swap from the 16" Tide line overflow to the 20" Exotic Marine?

Is it still working well, were there any issues with water level changing in the tank?

I'm thinking of doing the same with a planet aquarium build.
Yep, just a straight swap. I recently moved and sold the tank but up until then it worked perfectly. I don't remember about the water level in the tank but if it did change it wasn't hardly any difference. Maybe have an in or so.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back