Expensive SPS frags

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda think half the fun is tracking down nice stuff for cheap. Most of our fragz have been $25 and under and up to 50 for a couple of really nice pieces. Granted if you count what I end up spending on gas, meals, drinks, tickets, etc and rolled that into the frag price... My wife and I enjoy traveling to different lfs and shows to look for stuff. We're going to Columbia in a couple of weeks for the southern aquatic experience. So, $80 for 2 vip tickets, 3 hours driveing each way, so gas, probably $150 on food and drinks. So I'm probably almost $300 in before I buy anything. Tomorrow morning we're getting up early to drive to one of our favorite LFS, so couple hours each way, lunch, etc....but hey my wife fell in love the the hobby too and wants to go shop for a new fish to add to her tank. And maybe some frags. And if that isn't priceless I dunno what is.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda think half the fun is tracking down nice stuff for cheap. Most of our fragz have been $25 and under and up to 50 for a couple of really nice pieces. Granted if you count what I end up spending on gas, meals, drinks, tickets, etc and rolled that into the frag price... My wife and I enjoy traveling to different lfs and shows to look for stuff. We're going to Columbia in a couple of weeks for the southern aquatic experience. So, $80 for 2 vip tickets, 3 hours driveing each way, so gas, probably $150 on food and drinks. So I'm probably almost $300 in before I buy anything. Tomorrow morning we're getting up early to drive to one of our favorite LFS, so couple hours each way, lunch, etc....but hey my wife fell in love the the hobby too and wants to go shop for a new fish to add to her tank. And maybe some frags. And if that isn't priceless I dunno what is.

This is different, this is what the hobby is supposed to be about. This is the fun of it. This isnt clicking buy on a $400 frag you have never seen.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth is, if I had enough money and could afford to do so. I probably wouldn’t care about prices.
I would have a 1600 sq. ft fish room instead of my house.
Am I trying to justify frag cost by my finances, probably so. It’s priorities, I could afford to buy a 500$ frag. I would rather use that money to go on an overnight tuna trip and spend time with my brother.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bill you got any home wrecker? I’d love to see it photographed properly like your pictures… this new generation doesn’t get it.
Here's one of our HW colonies:
JF Homewrecker (1 of 1).jpg

Here's another one:
JF Homewrecker.jpg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the people spending the money are just not answering this thread. I was just on the Live stock selling page and thier is plenty of corals selling for high prices and getting sold quickly. I just looked and saw a mushroom listed for a $1,000 and sold in 2 days.
I wasn't going to chime in here, because, what's the point?

I picked up this frag pack from epic aquaculture.

20230919_123759.jpg

Even if you average it out, its over $250 each.

Front right is JF Home Wrecker. Definitely one that I've had my eye on for a while.

I get the purpose of this thread, and definitely wish that coral prices weren't so high but people have been complaining for decades and nothing changes.

This hobby spans the economical landscape. There are people with expendable income and some on a shoestring budget. Unfortunately the prices get dictated based on those with expendable cash. Like it or not, the reality is the rest of us have to pay to play.

I'm not saying you can't get high end corals below market value, they're everywhere if you know where to look.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is largely talk about Acros, but I’ll throw in with yes, I’ve spent a fair chunk for the Gonis I love but one of the best I’ve got in the tank started with a $5 and $38 twin that I got last Feb.
‘Feb 23
1696538482560.jpeg

Now
IMG_9806.jpeg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to chime in here, because, what's the point?

I picked up this frag pack from epic aquaculture.

20230919_123759.jpg

Even if you average it out, its over $250 each.

Front right is JF Home Wrecker. Definitely one that I've had my eye on for a while.

I get the purpose of this thread, and definitely wish that coral prices weren't so high but people have been complaining for decades and nothing changes.

This hobby spans the economical landscape. There are people with expendable income and some on a shoestring budget. Unfortunately the prices get dictated based on those with expendable cash. Like it or not, the reality is the rest of us have to pay to play.

I'm not saying you can't get high end corals below market value, they're everywhere if you know where to look.
We truly appreciate your business Jimmy! Frags are looking great! Let me know when you're ready for your next pack. We're having a Halloween sale so make sure to check the site for some great deals starting Friday October 27th through Tuesday October 31.

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you are going to get many true responses to this thread, because honestly... it comes across as a bit judgemental. Intentional or not.

As with every hobby, people can choose how to enjoy it and how much money to spend on it. In addition to reefing, I do astrophotography. I dont think I can explain the amount of money some spend on that, and that doesnt mean its ruined for those that dont spend that type of money.

True that supply and demand and higher prices in general may drive up frag costs for the rest of us. Yet I think this is balanced out by more vendors being able to enter the hobby to sell to hobbyists, greater variety of coral species and color morphs, and allowing communities in other countries to make a living as well.

You do not need to go buy a HW frag, just as you do not need to buy a Porsche. And if you really want one and cant afford it, you can certainly try forums, auctions, local hobby groups, etc. Or you can wait for it to come down it cost, which I think most morphs have eventually done.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed the whole point of this post.
Lets Go back to that. You just wanted to see "who the person is that is dropping $250 on one and $399 on another one inch frag freshly glued to a frag plug". You also stated you wanted to see the frags..couldn't really tell if by "show yourselves" that meant they needed a picture of themselves as well. But I think that was the point of it if I'm not mistaken.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back