OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are also speaking from a general hobbyist standpoint and not that of a business. But yes, some people have money to gamble with, and sometimes it pays off.
Definitely talking about hobbiest not small business or big businesses here...

I do woodworking as a small business next to my regular 40 and I wouldn't even want you guys to look in that wood pile. I have some blocks of wood that are the size of some of these frags that are hundreds. That's a whole nother animal when we are talking literally trying to make money off of something.

Hobbiest only, not your side business.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are also speaking from a general hobbyist standpoint and not that of a business. But yes, some people have money to gamble with, and sometimes it pays off.

I do woodworking as a small business next to my regular 40 and I wouldn't even want you guys to look in that wood pile. I have some blocks of wood that are the size of some of these frags that are hundreds. That's a whole nother animal when we are talking literally trying to make money off of something.

Yes I agree, but most of my pieces were acquired before I started my business including the aforementioned $2k Rainbow Splice.

Also this is not my side business. It is my fulltime job now.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I don’t understand the difference here. Paying a lot for a frag whether you’re a business or not is still paying a lot for a frag. I think hobbyist or “business hobbyist” it’s still some coin you’re dropping likely rationalized similarly as an investment. Business owners just have bigger systems- options to move things around- and wholesale alternatives

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree, but most of my pieces were acquired before I started my business including the aforementioned $2k Rainbow Splice.
I understand. I know how it morphs into something bigger, too. I wish I could quit my day job and take the plunge myself. But, for now, it's a side thing for me. Very nice coral, btw.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don’t understand the difference here. Paying for a lot for a frag whether you’re a business or not is still paying a lot for a frag. I think hobbyist or “business hobbyist” it’s still some coin you’re dropping likely rationalized similarly as an investment. Business owners just have bigger systems- options to move things around- and wholesale alternatives
One purchases to sell, one to just enjoy. Not all Reefers sell frags.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don’t understand the difference here. Paying for a lot for a frag whether you’re a business or not is still paying a lot for a frag. I think hobbyist or “business hobbyist” it’s still some coin you’re dropping rationalize similarly as an investment. Business owners just have bigger systems- options to move things around- and wholesale alternatives
As a business my duck call shop has a CPA that let's me write off inventory at the end of the year. She also writes off some of my household bills and some gas as well during the year. I can buy a nice slab of cocobolo cross cut for $3000 and at the end of the year I still have that peice then it is listed as stock and some of that can be taken out of what I would normally have to pay in. Same with donations. If I donate that $3000 to ducks unlimited then that's $3000 I can write off.

My tank does not have that luxury. Unfortunatly.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I have been n the hobby since 1991. I didn't purchase the expensive pieces with intent to grow them out to make money. I simply love the Acros that I chose to purchase. My success with them and transitional opportunities led to starting the business of growing and selling corals which, fortunately, is something that I love to do.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never bought an expensive frag, but I have purchased a few $500+ Acanthophyllias online. All came in healthy, and all are still with me (and they're my fav corals), so I consider it money well spent. But they're 5+ inches across. $400 for a 1 inch frag is nuts, IMO.
All relative. Happy u have those beauties still w u. No room for them but on a wish list.

Funky12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guilty. $250 but still rolling.
IMG_7106.JPG
IMG_7803.JPG

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I have been n the hobby since 1991. I didn't purchase the expensive pieces with intent to grow them out to make money. I simply love the Acros that I chose to purchase. My success with them and transitional opportunities led to starting the business of growing and selling corals which, fortunately, is something that I love to do.
Lucky Jon Heder GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the people spending the money are just not answering this thread. I was just on the Live stock selling page and thier is plenty of corals selling for high prices and getting sold quickly. I just looked and saw a mushroom listed for a $1,000 and sold in 2 days.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those people. I have over 250 different SPS in my systems, many of which were over $100 and some of which were over $1000. The most I've paid for 1 frag is $2000 for an RRC Rainbow Splice when they first arrived in the US in May of 2019. I have since sold over $30,000 worth of Rainbow Splice Frags in 3 years. Here is what I paid 2K for:

1696456517249.jpeg

Many of the corals in this tank started as $300+ frags:
1696456646574.jpeg

Everyone has different feelings on what they prefer to spend their money on. Some like expensive cars, some like the RC hobby, some like ladies of the night and blow. I like corals.
Hey bill you got any home wrecker? I’d love to see it photographed properly like your pictures… this new generation doesn’t get it.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bill you got any home wrecker? I’d love to see it photographed properly like your pictures… this new generation doesn’t get it.
It's small and grows pretty slow for me. In comparison to the nub it was it's not too bad...this one I got for about 40 bucks in lieu of the thread lol.

20230917_085910.jpg

A lot of people have the Walt Disney as well so here's that. It was about the same size as HW for comparison

20230901_201450.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Fox has very very nice stuff. I have never been less than impressed
This would be a true representation of that coral.. weird how that works huh? I can make it even brighter than you showed and I don’t know how to use photoshop.. all I did was screen shotted it and used my iPhone to turn the saturation off.. I’ve seen this coral in person a few times and that’s how it looks with some white lighting and heavy blues.
IMG_1438.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back