Expensive SPS frags

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Fox has very very nice stuff. I have never been less than impressed
He does have nice stuff but he don’t have any coral that looks like that in person! Go to a coral show and check the pieces out! There’s tons of nice stuff but nothing that will glow like that even under blue lights.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I literally cannot even hit the limit for free shipping let along drop $400 even on a box full at one time. I just cant do it, then again I am a penny pincher and my lady is like a hawk so... If I dont want her buying $400 purses I better not even look at a battle box.. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
outside rare occasions I am moving away from sales and whatnot. my LFS has a number of acros for $35 or 2 or 50. well encrusted and over an inch long. I feel a lot less bad when they die, plus I have store credit fairly regularly.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
outside rare occasions I am moving away from sales and whatnot. my LFS has a number of acros for $35 or 2 or 50. well encrusted and over an inch long. I feel a lot less bad when they die, plus I have store credit fairly regularly.
This is reasonable. This I can get behind but a purple tort frag just because it has some random name for $299.... I just want to know who is buying this.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to know who you are... I want to know who the person is that is dropping $250 on one and $399 on another one inch frag freshly glued to a frag plug. Surely if you are doing this you are willing to show em off. Lets see em. Show yourselves. LOL
Hi I’m DJ and I fit this bill. Glad to meet you and your judgement.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So people will spend $1k on a g6 but not $500 on a sps????!!!! If I am spending that much on a led I will spend thousands on my coral. Just saying.

I am not one that will spend $1k on a light either let alone $500 on one SPS. I just want to know who these people are and see pictures of these in other people's tanks....

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures.. gotta have the pictures.
Here is a few… one thing I don’t spend on is time in photoshop or taking great pics. These are my latest costy adventures (minus a pending SBB shipment)- WD and a SCOP… note the orange in the bigR WD- no camera tricks there. Both are still coloring up and new to my system. I’ll edit here with more as the lights kick on-

IMG_2619.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a hard rule that I won’t spend over $100 for a single coral and usually I don’t even get close to that number.

I’m curious how many people that do buy the “high end” corals do so with the intentions of selling frags. In which case the high end coral is an investment, although a risky investment.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a hard rule that I won’t spend over $100 for a single coral and usually I don’t even get close to that number.

I’m curious how many people that do buy the “high end” corals do so with the intentions of selling frags. In which case the high end coral is an investment, although a risky investment.
$300 for an investment that will likely not pay off for 2 years.... I can make more than that on a swing trade in a week... Much less of a risk.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Fox has very very nice stuff. I have never been less than impressed
He also doesn't do his own photography. If I remember correctly he said his wife does and he doesn't even know what kind of camera is used. Photoshop is king. Just saying

Last edited:

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be but agree the return isn’t there. I’ve strived to get my hobby just to pay for itself and it has a couple months over the last decade :) best investment are the cheaper fast growing corals that you can chop up and sell cheap. My goal is to grow what I enjoy to look at which includes corals that can cost if they’ve been tagged by a name- I don’t exclusive name shop but most the times I’ll say that the ones with names are the nicer, unique ones. My most expensive piece is an acantho that I’ll never sell and wouldn’t get a return on anyway. But it is gorgeous, mesmerizing and I’m blessed to have it.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference between "high end" coral, and expensive coral though. I have plenty of high end, but also have a lot of reefing friends. If you want lower prices, try being more social. Just advice for everyone. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference between "high end" coral, and expensive coral though. I have plenty of high end, but also have a lot of reefing friends. If you want lower prices, try being more social. Just advice for everyone. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Truth! Get your system dialed to where someone wants a remote backup in there

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or just clean the glass and filters in the local shop..... For free...... Thats what I do... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth! Get your system dialed to where someone wants a remote backup in there
Yeah, I have a few buddies like that. One in particular. Been over two years, and I still bug him to come get his stuff! :grinning-squinting-face:
He's like, "I picked this up for 'cheap' but ain't ready for it yet". We have different meanings of cheap. Lol.

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to know who you are... I want to know who the person is that is dropping $250 on one and $399 on another one inch frag freshly glued to a frag plug. Surely if you are doing this you are willing to show em off. Lets see em. Show yourselves. LOL
I feel like 90% of this happens online with pictures of a mother colony. When you visit a LFS you can see if the plug is encrusted and the acro is healthy. Almost nobody would pay $400 for a 1" freshly-cut frag if they saw it in person. It's a great way for the seller to make $400 and take no risk.

I also see this with the labeling of a "colony." It's a great way to sell what's basically a frag for the price of a grown-out show piece.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back