Facebook and R2R giveaways rant

dirkdirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not to be a downer here but I see once again another r2r or other reef stuff related giveaway that requires facebook to enter. I’m sorry but facebook is junk for more than what most people would think or feel. I refuse to use it. I am sure im not the only one. We here at R2R who have paid to be members we should be able to enter without facebook. I know there are some exclusives for us but to have facebook necessary to enter a giveaway not only irks me but I start to question why. Maybe I’m just an old grump(not really that old), but it be nice to not have to have facebook to enter. End rant.

Still love all the information on this site. It can’t be beat.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I haven’t had facebook in almost 13 years. I just got sick of the FarmVille notifications and all it contained was advertisements. Nobody ever posted statuses anymore.
Unfortunately I cannot participate in some giveaways because of this. I refuse to get a facebook account. My dislike of it outweighs the want to win contests lol
R2R is the only form of social media i partake in :)

OP
OP
D

dirkdirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya crabs. Even when I “cared” it was still mostly a waste. If I want to talk to you ill call, email, text, or come visit. Heck at this point id rather write a letter and mail it. I just never inderstood putting your whole life on the internet. Guess what it used to be almost no one cared. I know I am in the minority. I have even seen places now say join us on facebook for black friday this and cuber monday that. I guess maybe everyone got sick of emails from companies so now its just on facebook.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have the right to your own perspective, but facebook is what you make it. Most of the complaints above I would characterize as user errors. I follow reef etc related groups and pages I like, and unfollow or unfriend anything that irritates me.

You could always have a facebook account only for R2R and don't friend anyone at all. :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well not to be a downer here but I see once again another r2r or other reef stuff related giveaway that requires facebook to enter. I’m sorry but facebook is junk for more than what most people would think or feel. I refuse to use it. I am sure im not the only one. We here at R2R who have paid to be members we should be able to enter without facebook. I know there are some exclusives for us but to have facebook necessary to enter a giveaway not only irks me but I start to question why. Maybe I’m just an old grump(not really that old), but it be nice to not have to have facebook to enter. End rant.

Still love all the information on this site. It can’t be beat.

I couldn't agree more.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's free and you choose not to use facebook, that is not the company's/giveaway hosts fault. Marketing strategy, many people use Facebook and not reef2reef it is much smarter to utilize every site to reach the most amount of consumers.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a little time away from Facebook a couple of years back, and ended up returning due to the social pressure. Over time I have come to love all the local folks buying and selling reefing gear and anything else I might need, and once in awhile I interact with relatives posts, fulfilling any social obligations of "keeping in touch" that are customary for fellow humans to do. Most peoples targeted ad issues are actually related to Google... Google's ability to know what I need to buy before I do is scary.... hmmmm aquarium pumps..... I better check up on mine... Oh Crap!

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously don't get why people don't use Facebook. I've been on it for 10 years and it hasn't seriously impacted my life one way or the other. For me it's just an easy way to keep in touch with family and friends without much effort lol. So if you choose not to be on it that's your choice. You made your choice. Don't expect people to conform to your choice. Social media is an excellent marketing platform. Welcome to the 21st century.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I despise facebook, but I do have an account. Not to link up with friends, or to use it as a social media account, but to follow different business interest and so forth.

Recently, I had to open a Instagram account to enter a contest. It got ridiculous how many hoops you had to jump thru to enter. Yes, I realize I didn't have to enter, and I didn't.;Smuggrin

Now on a positive note! Here's a contest you can enter here with just your email: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/win-an-octo-pulse-2-pump-from-reef-octopus.665358/

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Twitter account to follow some politicians and authors. I have an Instagram account I never use. None of my FB friends are fellow reefers. It kind of cracks me up to have to share contests knowing nobody on any of mine are the least bit interested.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IF we have a giveaway that requires Facebook it's because the sponsor of that contest wanted it that way as they are trying to build their Facebook following. MOST of our own contests will have a way to enter outside of FB. Thanks.

Back