Facebook and R2R giveaways rant

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do it to promote their products and social media is one of the highest forms of promotion and it all revolves around keywords, ad tracking, and ad campaigns. Most likely it's the ad company/divisions, IT persons, and promotion companies pushing it. The manufacturer is most likely just agreeing to give something away.

Phonebook ads don't work anymore.

As long as there are other ways to enter I see no problem here.

Welcome to 2019.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't participate because I rarely ever go on Facebook and if I do I dont want my post to be about pushing products on my friends, etc. However, I get why the sponsors do this and I dont see a problem with it either. I mean they are giving you a chance to win something for free and in return share their product. Doesn't seem that bad of a deal to me.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FB account because of a local reef club we started. Other than that I don't get on fb. I'll check ever few days. With that said fb is mostly spam and memes, I don't feel bad adding to it

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously don't get why people don't use Facebook. I've been on it for 10 years and it hasn't seriously impacted my life one way or the other. For me it's just an easy way to keep in touch with family and friends without much effort lol. So if you choose not to be on it that's your choice. You made your choice. Don't expect people to conform to your choice. Social media is an excellent marketing platform. Welcome to the 21st century.
Your statements have several apparent logical flaws. You said you don’t understand why people don’t use Facebook but then say that it hasn’t impacted your life one way or another. So if it hasn’t impacted you (for good or bad) then why have you used it for the last 10 years? At the very least you should understand why someone would not use it since it hasn’t impacted you.

It’s an easy way to keep in touch with friends and family? Aren’t there many other ways of doing that with out the use of Facebook? I think there’s been at least several thousand years that people have done this.

I’m actually not expecting people to conform to my choice of not using Facebook. Technically it’s you that is expecting them to conform to your use of Facebook. It’s because people use Facebook that they started marketing to them.

I will agree with you that social media is an excellent marketing platform. My issue is that Facebook shouldn’t be that. When it first came out, it was about connecting with friends and family, and I used it when that was the case.

Thank you for welcoming me into the 21st century, but don’t assume that because I don’t use Facebook that I don’t understand what is going on. I’m capable of critical thinking and made a conscious decision to not use Facebook.

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a facebook account. I hate it. But the in app messaging is far better than the one on my phone, plus video calling and other features.

Plus I have hundreds of friends that are other reefers some I have met at shows, swaps and meetings. It's pretty cool to meet in person someone you only know in text.

Just like in this forum there are plenty of nice people willing to help you.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped Facebook a long time ago. And it's funny I dont randomly brainlessly pick up my phone and just scroll through endless junk. And people useless factless rants about how they would have done things differently and the mindless adds and junk Facebook brought to my phone. So glad it's gone. I'll never go back on there again

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Facebook is still a great advertising platform. I’m not sure how the numbers are exactly, but I’m guessing there is an equal audience in Facebook groups than on R2R.

dduby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't have anything against tying these giveaways to social media but the ones that get me are the ones that give social media people an advantage. One that comes to mind i saw recently, it gave the social media folks multiple additional entries just for "tagging us on Insta" or "mashing that like button," or the ones where entry for non-social media users ends meanwhile the fb and insta people can continue to get additional entries. I get it, it's free advertising but the playing field not being level leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

U

User1

View Badges
Well not to be a downer here but I see once again another r2r or other reef stuff related giveaway that requires facebook to enter. I’m sorry but facebook is junk for more than what most people would think or feel. I refuse to use it. I am sure im not the only one. We here at R2R who have paid to be members we should be able to enter without facebook. I know there are some exclusives for us but to have facebook necessary to enter a giveaway not only irks me but I start to question why. Maybe I’m just an old grump(not really that old), but it be nice to not have to have facebook to enter. End rant.

Still love all the information on this site. It can’t be beat.

TL;DR - can we please offer giveaway entries to non FB users?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s asking sponsors to accept less publicity though for their giveaways, just because you don’t want to make a random anonymous account to post on. Which disincentivizes them.

You can make a fake account. Doesn’t need to be your real name or any details... a “burner”, so to speak, also works :)

U

User1

View Badges
That’s asking sponsors to accept less publicity though for their giveaways, just because you don’t want to make a random anonymous account to post on. Which disincentivizes them.

You can make a fake account. Doesn’t need to be your real name or any details... a “burner”, so to speak, also works :)

I don't disagree. At all.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Facebook here either and I agree with the sentiment it shouldnt be part of the rules. If vendors insist then perhaps they hold the giveaway on Facebook. Do they advertise in Facebook and make people join reef2reef? Probably not but IDK.

My facebook was hacked in 2010 and it screwed me more than you can imagine.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or at least make different ways to enter. I've seen multiple contests "like us on facebook, share us on facebook" and thats it. If theres a contest where you subscribe to a newsletter, or something similar, i'm more than happy to enter :)

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your statements have several apparent logical flaws. You said you don’t understand why people don’t use Facebook but then say that it hasn’t impacted your life one way or another. So if it hasn’t impacted you (for good or bad) then why have you used it for the last 10 years? At the very least you should understand why someone would not use it since it hasn’t impacted you.

I wasn't clear. What I don't understand is why people are so adamant about not using FB. Since it's such a neutral thing in my life it's hard to understand why people have such strong feelings about it. Hope that clears it up for you.

It’s an easy way to keep in touch with friends and family? Aren’t there many other ways of doing that with out the use of Facebook? I think there’s been at least several thousand years that people have done this.

Of course there are other ways. I said it was an easy way. I first got on FB because I entered into a career that required me to travel a lot. FB is way easier than texting or phoning or even emailing people constantly. I don't remember the last time I mailed a letter. Probably several thousand years ago.

I’m actually not expecting people to conform to my choice of not using Facebook. Technically it’s you that is expecting them to conform to your use of Facebook. It’s because people use Facebook that they started marketing to them.

I will agree with you that social media is an excellent marketing platform. My issue is that Facebook shouldn’t be that. When it first came out, it was about connecting with friends and family, and I used it when that was the case.

Thank you for welcoming me into the 21st century, but don’t assume that because I don’t use Facebook that I don’t understand what is going on. I’m capable of critical thinking and made a conscious decision to not use Facebook.

And I shrug at your decision. And I see no reason for people to complain about things on a platform they aren't on.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't clear. What I don't understand is why people are so adamant about not using FB. Since it's such a neutral thing in my life it's hard to understand why people have such strong feelings about it. Hope that clears it up for you.

Of course there are other ways. I said it was an easy way. I first got on FB because I entered into a career that required me to travel a lot. FB is way easier than texting or phoning or even emailing people constantly. I don't remember the last time I mailed a letter. Probably several thousand years ago.

And I shrug at your decision. And I see no reason for people to complain about things on a platform they aren't on.
I’ve been thinking about my response to you and it was way over the top and uncalled for. I’m sorry, will you forgive me?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been my observations that not all of them require Facebook, and a few don’t even have it listed. You’ll see some asking to like on facebook twitter ect. But most that I’ve noticed is to go to their site and tell what you like, share your build thread, and stuff like that.

OP
OP
D

dirkdirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I was just venting on FB and contest as a whole. I am not sure face book advertising lives up to its hype either objectively I am wondering how much is padded to get people to advertise. Just like google FB does some not so ok stuff in the background and stuff people may even consider nefarious. I get its personal choice not to use it but I don’t deman other not use it I just voice my opinions and came to my own conclusions based on what I have researched and observed. I get that R2R has a lot of giveaways that do not require FB. Its just the ones on here that use facebook as a gateway entry. I dont jave a problem if a company has a FB giveaway and comes on here says hey look we have this give away on our FB. It just bumbs me out i miss out on something I potentially want/need but i will never get facebook again and I do wish it would just go away. This was all jist a rant to let off steam and ment no ill will against anyone isong fb or companies who promote on facebook. Its just not something I'm using or ever will again.

sorry if this is sloppy on my phone(wish we still had physical keyboards on phones but thats another post)

Back