Fairy bullies

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Rhomboid and flame from another reef keeper. I was worried about keeping them in the same tank, but they've been together 2 years now in a 180 and I have a 270 although only 4 feet.

The only wrasse in my tank is a rubriventralis, about half the size of the rhomboid, which is a little more than half the size of the flame. My rubriventralis has been terrorizing the new arrivals, although it is only 48 hours so far.

I am not willing to spend the whole weekend to catch my rubriventralis. Any other suggestions? What is the likelihood everyone works this out? I've kept fairy wrasses twenty years, but this is the first time I tried keeping them together.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rubriventralis seems to be a known trouble maker with other fairy wrasses, i doubt the agression will reduce from what ive heard. Best solution would be to catch it sorry. You could try a fish trap, may be easier if hes greedy

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rubriventralis seems to be a known trouble maker with other fairy wrasses, i doubt the agression will reduce from what ive heard. Best solution would be to catch it sorry. You could try a fish trap, may be easier if hes greedy

Based on the link you shared, flame and rubriventralis should be one of the safer combinations. I just wish my flame would stop being such a baby and stand up for himself - he isn't big enough to swallow my rubriventralis whole, but he should not be bullied by such a small fish.

They do seem to be much better today, but I may still try to catch the rubriventralis. How do I go about trapping him? I do have a fish trap somewhere, but how do I avoid catching every other fish in my tank first?

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to have worked it out, although in an unusual way. The flame and rhomboid actively avoid the rubriventralis and let him have full free rein of the entire tank - and in exchange, the rubriventralis doesn't actively chase either of the others, basically just gives them a dirty look if they need to back off, and they do. The flame and rhomboid have shown zero aggression or fear towards eachother, go very close to each other, and maybe even see each other as protection or comfort. Hopefully this lasts, but if not, it is probably the much smaller rubriventralis at risk once the others get bolder.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back