Favia infection??

ttd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Advice for what seems to be an infection on my favia? I placed a Duncan coral on a rock and when I returned after being away for a weekend I saw that the Duncan was on top of the favia. Duncan coral was fine with no injuries at all. However, the favia seems to be in bad shape. Has anyone encountered this? What could I do for treatment? I couldn’t find much on a google search.

Thank you !!

2E055FCC-0A8E-4435-ABED-F3D2554F8A81.jpeg 3717E084-E1D4-4F9E-8F04-3FF5F5E2F303.jpeg 11289790-9E1C-478A-9C17-0F618EF5CC06.jpeg

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens, but your favia will recover. It's key to remove the dead tissue from skeleton to avoid further infection, I recommend a Lugol's iodine dip, for about 5 min, u can use turkey baster to blow off dead tissue.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the flow and try to gently bag the favia to remove and then outside the tank clean it off and possibly iodine dip it. Some infection like bjd can infect other corals so best not to blow it off in the tank.

OP
OP
T

ttd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the flow and try to gently bag the favia to remove and then outside the tank clean it off and possibly iodine dip it. Some infection like bjd can infect other corals so best not to blow it off in the tank.
Unfortunately, I don't have iodine. I will need to pick it up tomorrow.

Would it be best to wait to remove the infected tissue until I have tomorrow when I have iodine? Or remove from the tank now, gently clean it outside of tank then put back in without iodine? Thank you for your help :)

OP
OP
T

ttd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would it be best to wait to remove the infected tissue until I have tomorrow when I have iodine? Or remove from the tank now, gently clean it outside of tank then put back in without iodine? Thank you for your help :)

OP
OP
T

ttd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens, but your favia will recover. It's key to remove the dead tissue from skeleton to avoid further infection, I recommend a Lugol's iodine dip, for about 5 min, u can use turkey baster to blow off dead tissue.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would remove from tank tonight and blow off and remove infected tissue

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back