Favia splitting profits dying?

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rainbow favia I believe? But I moved it and after a couple days over night it split into 2? I’m not sure if it’s dying or reproducing? Maybe someone with expertise could help?!? If it’s an infection I want to take it out ASAP!

16486AB0-1E0E-48B3-B41C-A951B69F0933.jpeg A99D5D87-EA35-4EA0-9D62-75D0ABA5301C.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something broke it in half.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that does not look good. Looks more like polyp bail out.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that does not look good. Looks more like polyp bail out.

Agreed. Probably due to skeletal damage caused by fragging. Sometimes it's really hard to cut these tiny frags even with todays band saws. You might be able to save a spec on one of the sides but I would predict that this will probably melt by tomorrow. That being said it's so small I don't think it will cause a huge problem dying in your tank if you want to hold out hope.

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Probably due to skeletal damage caused by fragging. Sometimes it's really hard to cut these tiny frags even with todays band saws. You might be able to save a spec on one of the sides but I would predict that this will probably melt by tomorrow. That being said it's so small I don't think it will cause a huge problem dying in your tank if you want to hold out hope.
Should I move it or do anything to it?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either just leave it or throw it out. Given it's in such poor condition moving it is not going to help. If it survives the night you might want to dip it. I'd use an iodine based dip like seachem reef dip to prevent infection, but if you don't have this I wouldn't really rush out to buy it. Either some will survive or some won't at this point. Someone might tell you otherwise but in my experience this piece is in such rough shape it's not going to help trying other things.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back