Favite shedding?

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure this is a favite, but it appears to be... shedding a layer of skin...

20201026_155135.jpg

I have not heard of one shedding, and these white specks showed up AFTER the "shed" blew away.

Is this what is going on, or is something worse happening?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, did you just add,poss protective slime layer if new/just moved,kinda looks like chalice to me?? white specks?? how is it now? sorry took so long to see post :)

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, did you just add,poss protective slime layer if new/just moved,kinda looks like chalice to me?? white specks?? how is it now? sorry took so long to see post :)
I have had it for about 8 months now, been in that spot for a while.

The white specks, I honestly have no idea what they are, I thought it was left over "skin" from the shedding, but that does not seem to be it.

It seems to be doing "better" but it is still flat compared to what it normally looks like. Here is a photo of what it normally looks like.

20200901_165345.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,not a chalice,def sort of favia,have current pic?post params ,lets get some expert eyes on :)

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for any who were following this, or any who stumble upon it.

It is getting better. It turns out that a small mushroom I had relocated had died and was messing with the water quality.

It looked like it had just been closed like the rest of the mushrooms I have in the tank, plus I had just moved it so I didn't even think about it.

I went to move it on Monday, and the entire little mushroom just broke apart in the water when I moved it! A big water change after that (I had done a lot when I was first trying to diagnose the problem) and half a day, and everything in the tanknis happy and healthy again!

Just goes to show, don't over look the little things... even if they are tinny "bullet proof" corals!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back