Favorite fish foods

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

How do you keep them? When I used to have freshwater, I bought meal worms. Those only needed a potato that was sliced in half.

I see they sell a worm keeper, but do you have to feed the worms?
You keep them in chilled in RO in a refrigerator and rinse them daily by replacing the water. The low temperature slows down their metabolism significantly and they live for quite a while that way without feeding (about 2 months ime). I bought the keeper just cuz I use a lot and it's easier to rinse them.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rotate between Rod's Food Original Blend and LRS Reef Frenzy for the main feeding at mid-day. NLS 0.5mm pellets for an evening snack and Nutramar Ova for a treat every now and then. Herbivores get half a sheet of nori every day.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the list of foods I've tried:

Pretty much all of the fresh water tetra flakes etc.
Formula 1 & 2 flake
Homemade algae flake
Algae wafers/discs
Sinking algae pellets
Nori
Freeze dried bloodworms
Baby brine shrimp
Frozen mysis
Dead copepod "sludge" (Dr. Gs or something)

Recently i have been raising my brine shrimp to adulthood in a ten gallon. I'm waiting on mature adults before harvesting. I have also started phyto and have roti cysts in my fridge. I bought a Christmas present for myself! It's vinegar and micro worm cultures. Still waiting for delivery.
I can update on those when i do feed them if you're interested.

Of all of these here are my thoughts:

Freeze dried blood worms are garbage and nothing eats them (if you have cubes you can stick them to the glass and fish are sort of interested in it. Plus, its fun.)

I have yet to come across "bad" flake food. Even tetra flake was perfectly fine for my clowns. Formula 2 is THE absolute favorite!!!! (Fresh and marine)

Don't waste money on any algae products. Buy nori. I have not found an algae based fish food (if you don't count formula 2) that is anywhere near as happily accepted. A far better option is to make flake food out of tank harvested algae (which works great!). [Also i have seen people just freeze algae]

Baby brine have received the most enthusiastic feeding of all! I am excited to see how the larger brine are accepted.

Frozen mysis was the first food i fed my tank. I find it to be an adequate food but in my experience a very mediocre choice. It messes with my tank params. Its hard to feed the right amount (in my experience an adult occ. Clown eats 1 maybe 2 full mysis in a single feeding) and it is annoying to store if you use less than a full cube (and goes bad quickly). Fish dont love it either. Honestly my clowns very obviously prefer flake to frozen mysis (and i have no complaints $$$ wise [emoji23])

Ok and my biggest waste of money (because i didnt pay for the bloodworms) was the copepod sludge. I wasnt aware how very drastic the difference is between dead and live copepods is. Occasionally i shake my ATS off in the dt. My fish love snagging the copes and amphis that jump off. They do not touch dr. G's. I occasionally use it as a paly coral food but it isnt great for that either (i would much rather opt for coral frenzy or a dedicated coral food next time)

Finally the thought has crossed my mind often that i should try to create a frozen cube blend of these foods. While the idea seems nice, i wonder how it ends up working out... i tend to spot feed particular foods to particular things and it just seems like a recipe for overfeeding... but no experience there... i will definitely try it when i get around to it.

Well thats my fish food eval lol. Just my experiences and interpretation of results. Sorry for typing so much X)

TLDR; LIVE FOODS, NORI AND FORMULA 2 FLAKE [emoji7]

As far as the algae foods go, I've found that my Magnificent Foxfaces, Blue Throat Trigger and little Blue Spot Puffer absolutely love Julian Sprung Green Algae.

I rip it up like flake food and they love it. They will all eat it frim my hand. I don't leave sheets in the tank anymore because it makes a mess. But this brand doesn't break apart right away like some others.

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it safe to feed herbivores like tangs live blackworms? Does it not effect their digestive systems negatively?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe and they love worms.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic, but any suggestions for an ornate leopard wrasse who hasn’t eaten mysis, blood worms, live black worms, brine shrimp, ROE, or cyclops? She seems to only have an eye for pods on the rocks...

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this stuff on YouTube it looks amazing, supposedly you can ween any fish on any food by mixing it in. It is called masstick. It is hard to find in Canada but I am hoping to grab some before my copperband decides to perish. Looks like the be all to end all

harley3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS Reef Frenzy
LRS Herbivore Frenzy
PE Pellets (just started using these and the fish go nuts for them)
Hikari Spirulina Brine shrimp
My snowflake eel only likes squid that I get frozen from a local fish market.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this stuff on YouTube it looks amazing, supposedly you can ween any fish on any food by mixing it in. It is called masstick. It is hard to find in Canada but I am hoping to grab some before my copperband decides to perish. Looks like the be all to end all

IIRC, Larry at LRS distributes Masstick. He may be able to let you know which LFS carry it in your area.

~Bruce

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic, but any suggestions for an ornate leopard wrasse who hasn’t eaten mysis, blood worms, live black worms, brine shrimp, ROE, or cyclops? She seems to only have an eye for pods on the rocks...
LRS fish frenzy and masstick. You can order LRS foods from premium aquatics and masstick from bulkreefsupply or even amazon I think

pandagobyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the algae foods go, I've found that my Magnificent Foxfaces, Blue Throat Trigger and little Blue Spot Puffer absolutely love Julian Sprung Green Algae.

I rip it up like flake food and they love it. They will all eat it frim my hand. I don't leave sheets in the tank anymore because it makes a mess. But this brand doesn't break apart right away like some others.
Thanks for tip! I love that guys tanks and methodology. His Co. Is two little fishies right? Ill have to try it out!

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets ( New life spectrum)

Personal food mix (clams, oyster, shrimp)

Black worms (whenever I remember to buy them, wife hates them in the fridge)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back