Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422767634.047395.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422767649.501078.jpg

My two

Awesome! Would you mind giving their names?

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0093.jpg

Here is a close up of my favorite guy. He is always looking at me when I am in the room.

How big is he? Looks on the smaller side right now.

Side note, I found a babe volitan and a baby dwarf zebra at the lfs the other day. Zebra was maybe a inch long!

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating between a volitans versus a fuzzy dwarf. I think the volitans is a gorgeous fish but afraid when it gets full size his tank mates might be meals. Tank mates will be a harlequin tusk, large angel, couple tangs, blue throat trigger, Toby puffer and a wart skin angler.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would depend on the size of the Toby, the angler would most likely be food. The others should be okay with the lion.

Remember lions and puffers don't always make good tank mates, puffers like to nip on the lions fins.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build? Sweet. Set it up so the lion has places to perch. Remember a full grown volitan can get to almost 18" with fins full spread.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. But since you asked I think I will get one started. Build is early but I would live to put all my thoughts down and look for feedback. Will try to get it up tonight or tomorrow in this forum.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would skip over the puffer if your set on a lion (I can't believe I just said to skip a puffer. I must be getting sick or something!). A fuzzy dwarf may be ok though :)
I'd also reconsider the angler. From what I've read over the years they will either eat tank mates or be eaten themselves. I don't have much experience with them to say for sure though.
Awesome fish guys!
Love those scorps rayn !

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom dwellers are fine with two rules. One they don't grow to large for your system and two you don't have big pickers or scavenger fish. Tangs, rabbit fish, most grazers mistake bottom dwellers for food and start picking at them. This can go two ways, your bottom scorp gets picked to death or your other fish gets eaten. Ask how I know!

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tyler1503 those aren't my scorps. I want a positive id, I believe I know the first one but not sure on the second.

They are pretty though

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I had a Inimicus didactylus, or sea goblin. I kept him by himself in a 40 breeder tank and was just bonkers over this fish. Trained onto frozen, would come up when I was at the tank...just one of my fave fish I had. However,I had aptasia and they were taking over the tank. I used joes juice, lemon juice, kalk paste, whatever just never got them under control. Well with preds any type of shrimp is out, so no peppermints. Then I found a matte file fish. Hey, they eat appies!

Sure enough, he decimated those aptasia. Wiped them out in a couple months. Ate frozen food as well. But then once the appies were gone, nothing to pick at. So the little tassels that are on bottom dwellers looked appetizing. Literally almost picked him to death. I watched him grab a part and pick the Inimicus off the bottom of the tank.

Needless to say I quickly removed the file fish and relocated him somewhere else. I was able to save the Inimicus with mess and vitamin c dosing, but I learned my lesson on grazers real quick.

My 125 could stand a tang or two, something to pick at the rocks. But my preds are more important then a bit of algae to me. Especially when you can't find them very often.

That's my story.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tyler1503 those aren't my scorps. I want a positive id, I believe I know the first one but not sure on the second.

They are pretty though

Ah my bad. I didn't see that your post was a quote, not an original post.
Nice scorps green street! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back