FedEx is the worst

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that is the case, then I'd always do "hold for pickup" and get the package yourself much earlier and with less stress on the livestock.

I have switched having any livestock delivered. I now have every livestock shipped to the hub and marked "hold for pickup". doesn't matter if it's UPS or FED-EX, I do the hold for pickup every time now. I have not had a single issue with either one since going exclusively to hold for pickup method.
I ALWAYS do this with FedEx and I'm surprised more people don't. The FedEx Shipping Center near me is at the airport. The package goes about 150 feet from the plane to the desk where it's always available for pickup at 9am when they open - that's the end of the process.

Otherwise, I have to wait for it to be loaded on a truck, driven to a local distribution center, sorted, loaded (hopefully) onto a local delivery truck, and then (again, hopefully) delivered to my address sometime in the afternoon if everything goes right. Picking up at the shipping center greatly decreases the odds of delay due to incident along the chain. And if there's a delay in Memphis (or whichever air hub it's coming through), there's still a good chance it'll arrive at my shipping center later in the day since it's still just being moved from the plane to the desk at the same facility. But if I did home delivery, I'd have to wait at least another day because once you miss the delivery truck dispatch in the AM, you're stuck till the next day.

TL/DR, FedEx isn't great for many of us, but there are ways to greatly improve your odds of having a successful transaction.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fedex biggest problem is the memphis terminal. Anything going through memphis is a long shot you get it on time.

I "think" the biggest problem FedEx faces is utilizing the government post office system USPS. If correct UPS is more independent if independence defined is not relying on government resources business wise.

Last edited:

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" the biggest problem FedEx faces is utilizing the government post office system USPS. If correct UPS is more independent if independence defined is not relying on government resources business wise.
They memphis location is extremely short staffed and they cannot get people to fill the empty roles. This will not correct for quite a while.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know why companies are still shipping livestock through FedEx rather than UPS? FedEx has proven to be completely unreliable at this point. So far with all my livestock orders, over the past 2 years, Ive calculated a 75% chance that the order will be delayed a day. Dry goods I get, but when it comes to livestock, we really need to take better care of our animals. UPS is much more reliable. It’s been proven time and time again. Is UPS more expensive for the shipper or something? If so, by how much? Sorry I just have to vent, but this is getting ridiculous!
Yes, I totally agree! I have the same problem! They have the same old two excuses every time...weather or mechanical problems. And lots of times they are no clouds in the sky anywhere on the route! :rolleyes:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I totally agree! I have the same problem! They have the same old two excuses every time...weather or mechanical problems. And lots of times they are no clouds in the sky anywhere on the route! :rolleyes:

They are probably talking about weather at the World Hub in memphis rather than your local weather. Anytime there is lightning around the world hub, it shuts right down. Any rain/thunderstorm within several miles of the hub sets off alarms and the whole thing shuts down until the weather passes. That is why there are so many weather delays with packages going through the memphis hub.

This article is old, but mentions some of the issues, like weather, when it comes to the Fed Ex Hub.

Article on World Hub

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably talking about weather at the World Hub in memphis rather than your local weather. Anytime there is lightning around the world hub, it shuts right down. Any rain/thunderstorm within several miles of the hub sets off alarms and the whole thing shuts down until the weather passes. That is why there are so many weather delays with packages going through the memphis hub.

This article is old, but mentions some of the issues, like weather, when it comes to the Fed Ex Hub.

Article on World Hub

Lack of fluidity in the logistics of the business model of FedEx? Reminds me of a the nervous system and applying pressure to a localized point in alternative medicine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back