fergusk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a build thread here for my Red Sea Reefer 250. I'll be doing an SPS Dominant tank with AWC/as much automated as possible since I travel with work quite a lot. The primary goal is for stability and minimal time with hands in the tank. I think a big part of this is going to be the fish load, as well as the nutrient export. While the auto water change method is useful for that, I don't plan to burn through salt water using it for nutrient export. I'm planning a refugium with AI Fuge or a Pax Bellum reactor. Currently I'm leaning towards a refugium, provided I can keep the sump clean. I was thinking a small pump with spray bar could be enough to get the Chaeto tumbling and prevent detritus build up. The roller filter should do 95% of the work anyway.

I'll quickly run through the planned equipment. Note that the end goal is to have it on an Apex with KHG, but I've been told that Australia is getting a new apex power board so I'm holding off until that arrives. I have almost caved and bought one 4 times in the last week though, so I may not stay strong.... In the meantime, the plan is:

Red Sea Reefer 250 (white)
Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro (X2) with diffusers. I have 2 gen 3 pros with diffusers but may upgrade to gen 5 once the tank is running.
Octo VarioS 6 Return Pump (Ecotech Vectra M1 as a spare - it'll make a good saltwater mixing and transfer pump in the mean time)
Bubble Magus Roller Mat filter (Medium size). I wanted to try this and with the price I figured I may as well. I'll need to make some mods and because it's relatively cheap I'm not afraid to.
Cove 120 skimmer or Bubble Magus Z6. I wanted a Curve 5 elite but I'll need to make more mods to the sump to fit it in (or swap the skimmer and refugium sections, which is how it was designed but seems like a waste. I don't plan on using a skimmer as a big nutrient export system - more for aeration and a convenient dump for KHG reagent.
Refugium (with AI Fuge) or Pax Bellum ARID n24. Seriously tempted by the PAX even though there's very little room for it. It would free up sump space...
Kamoer X2sr for AWC into 30L drums (in the other room)
Red Sea mesh cover
Autofeeder (probably Eheim or similar - ideally with a USB Charger so I don't need to worry about it).
ATO - Kamoer (most likely)
(Temporary) - eKoral Lite monitor with PH and Temp Probes and a connection to the VarioS Pump.
Ikea Cabinet Lighting

My plan is to set up as much as possible before filling with water. It's a pain to play with wires when you can't move the tank and it's a trap I've fallen into in my previous builds. I have a fake door behind the tank (it was a doorway but we shoved a bit of melamine in it) so I'm very happy to drill through that to route AWC and ATO reservoirs.

Let me know any thoughts. ATM I'm leaning towards Kalkwasser in a reactor as a base for alk and 2 part on the KHG, but I may swap that around. I like the idea of doing it in 2 halves.

OP
OP
F

fergusk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mods to the sump to remove baffles. I'd been using a razor blade but found that a combo of fishing wire and a Stanley knife were great. Then a razor blade to tidy up after. I can't see any scratches on the sump (I did ruin the edges of the piece I removed though). I also used a saw blade to cut the cup holder. After all that, the roller mat ALMOST fits. I'll make it fit though :)

IMG_7814.jpg
IMG_7817.jpg
IMG_7820.jpg

OP
OP
F

fergusk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: Installed the Bubble Magus Rollermat. Some regrets about going this way vs Clarisea (the motor sticks out and will impact what skimmer I can get) but considering my willingness to butcher it, I'm not too upset. I think it'll be fine re skimmer anyway - I just need to take the gamble on the Cove 120.

Will put the return pump in tomorrow when I can get to the hardware store, and will sort out a manifold (likely online so it'll be in stages). Also ordered an AI Fuge. Hopefully that can help with the ugly stages!!!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fergusk just my thoughts and opinions. For a refugium to even be effective for removing any excess nutrients it should be at least 40% in volume of your total water volume, although yours should be effective for pods. I don’t mean to rain on your parade but I’ve done a lot of research on this and that’s the figure that Julian Sprung and others give. You will have to rely on your skimmer for export and fleece roller. Believe me the fleece roller takes out a lot of particulate matter which is a big help. I also would like you to know I have a RSR 250 too. See my build thread, click on my Build Thread Contributor badge underneath my username. I’ll leave you with this video: BRS’s recommendation for adding trace minerals to a kalk driven system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fergusk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fergusk just my thoughts and opinions. For a refugium to even be effective for removing any excess nutrients it should be at least 40% in volume of your total water volume, although yours should be effective for pods. I don’t mean to rain on your parade but I’ve done a lot of research on this and that’s the figure that Julian Sprung and others give. You will have to rely on your skimmer for export and fleece roller. Believe me the fleece roller takes out a lot of particulate matter which is a big help. I also would like you to know I have a RSR 250 too. See my build thread, click on my Build Thread Contributor badge underneath my username. I’ll leave you with this video: BRS’s recommendation for adding trace minerals to a kalk driven system.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not expecting it do do 100% (which is why I have auto water change, fleece roller, skimmer, carbon dosing etc. too), especially since in the long run I'd expect corals to do a lot of that as well, but I don't think it's quite right to say that up to that point it straight up just won't be effective. I'd imagine it'll depend on stocking levels and its general efficiency more than anything. Time will tell - I can always get a reactor instead or to supplement it. I appreciate the comments though - I'm open to swapping the sump out if I need to, but I'll try to get it done with the stock sump.

Good point on the trace - I'm still undecided on which way to go with that. I'll probably swap to a calcium reactor once things start growing anyway, so I'm tempted to use up my stockpile of Aquaforest Balling 3 part until then. Then Kalk could be a part of nighttime dosing vs daytime? Could depend on what the PH is doing though - daytime might actually need it more if the refugium is effective

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have 5 methodologies to deal with excess nutrients plus what the corals and bacteria in the liverock will consume. Looks like it’s taken care of. ;-)

OP
OP
F

fergusk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have 5 methodologies to deal with excess nutrients plus what the corals and bacteria in the liverock will consume. Looks like it’s taken care of. ;-)
Hope so! It might be overkill but I'd rather be able to dial it back than have it as a constant battle playing catch up. The 40% Fuge would be an absolute dream though - if I get the hint that my current method(/s) isn't working I guess I'll have to get a nice custom sump with a bigger Fuge... Kinda hope it doesn't work now haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back