fighting high zinc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again several months after beginning triton, and discovering zinc and copper in my system, successfully removing those... Spending a ton of cash figuring out the sources... Eliminating the sources... Now the zinc is again high as before. I just got my results back from my latest test to find all is well except the high zinc at about 18 ug/l.

Detox again for now. At least I don't have copper with it this time. But where is the zinc coming from? Any way to focus on removal of only the zinc? I also have elevated AL which I never had in any of my other tests. But it's not that high only in the green plus category.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else, any recommendation on how often I can safely use the detox? It says not to use it more than once.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have zinc and it is elevating.
the question is at what level should we worry?
unless its in the red+ I typically don't think twice.

From what I have learned its all about what you introduce.
even what I feed my fish has zinc.
I try not to chase "perfect" numbers

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, a LFS I go to had elevated zinc in their systems and they narrowed it down to skin lotion that one of the employees was using on their arms.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of maybe sun lotion and checked but thats not it. I don't really use any other lotions and typically my underarms stay out of the water. I'll be checking my shower gel and soap now though. Good idea.

As far as levels to worry about I'd have to go check my last triton test but I want to say the first time I had an acro/lps crash zinc was around 16 ug/l well into the red. But there was also copper. This time around no crash but a few unhappy corals did prompt my test. Zinc was the only thing off and it was up to 18 ug/l or whatever. (I think ug/l is the measurement but may be wrong on that)

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A locally reefer had a similar problem with zinc and Aluminum showing up in his result and it happened to be the metal framing of his screen top. He made one out of acrylic and the issue went away. Not sure if you have one, just trying to throw out some ideas. GL

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really don't have any metal in contact or even above my system. Thanks for the idea though, it may help someone who searches this in the future.

I also don't have issues with other metals such as tin or aluminum either. I believe its like copper and tin that show up from rusty items. Could be wrong there.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if you ever came to a conclusion on your zinc issue? I just received my results and it too shows a high zinc level 34.4. I understand that there are many ways it can get in the system, food, etc but for that level to be so high from foods? The tank I sampled from is pretty new so I can eliminate corrosion etc. It also showed high Aluminum, but I know that's from the Phosguard I'm using.
I was looking into Detox but read that its more for copper than anything else.
Any other ideas?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if you ever came to a conclusion on your zinc issue? I just received my results and it too shows a high zinc level 34.4. I understand that there are many ways it can get in the system, food, etc but for that level to be so high from foods? The tank I sampled from is pretty new so I can eliminate corrosion etc. It also showed high Aluminum, but I know that's from the Phosguard I'm using.
Any other ideas?
I had quite a few different heavy metals in my tank.
I used the detox once and it was the best thing I ever did!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it was crazy how effective it was!
And it has to be one of the most nasty looking stuff I have ever seen, like pouring molasses in the water lol
I can mail you mine!
Used once :)

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it was crazy how effective it was!
And it has to be one of the most nasty looking stuff I have ever seen, like pouring molasses in the water lol
I can mail you mine!
Used once :)

;) just ordered a bottle! I should have looked here first!!!!

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas?
Hi Reduck,
Rowaphos will remove the AL. Thats why we use AL99 one month then Rowaphos the next month.
4x 15% weekly WC with PURE to lower the zinc.
Do you keep a magnet glass cleaner in the water all the time? (possible zinc source)?
I'm not an expert, just trying to give you a hand.
Gene

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reduck,
Rowaphos will remove the AL. Thats why we use AL99 one month then Rowaphos the next month.
4x 15% weekly WC with PURE to lower the zinc.
Do you keep a magnet glass cleaner in the water all the time? (possible zinc source)?
I'm not an expert, just trying to give you a hand.
Gene

I understand the relationship between the Rowaphos (gfo) and Phosguard, so thanks.
I knew that would be the reason for my elevated Al number. I have some normal GFO I can run for a while, which I was planning on doing.

Did not think about the glass cleaner though! Yes! I do leave it in...always. Its pretty new though and well sealed. I'll remove it just the same.
Between that and the WC it would be quite possible that I would not need to use the detox.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I leave multiples magnets in all the time. I use then to hold my frag racks, etc as well. Plus one in my frag tank. There's at least 5 mag floats in the system that I can think of. Not to mention magnet frag plugs, mag rocks on the back, and magnet power heads.

Really think that would be a source?

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I leave multiples magnets in all the time. I use then to hold my frag racks, etc as well. Plus one in my frag tank. There's at least 5 mag floats in the system that I can think of. Not to mention magnet frag plugs, mag rocks on the back, and magnet power heads.

Really think that would be a source?

I'd say if they are old and rusty and the metallic magnet is exposed, yes. But a new encapsulated magnet? Highly doubtful. Or we all would be in zinc or other heavy metal trouble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back