OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build!! I love that tank, I don't think I've seen these in person. Off to a great start!
Thanks!

Fijicube really does build some nice tanks. Comparable to the Redsea and Waterbox tanks. This was cheaper than those options, has a sump I like much better, solid wood stand and shipped free.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this great tank!
I never really looked at these and now I am very intrigued by them !
I have a waterbox 110.5 and was thing of going bigger and the 170 look really nice and a great price!
How is the stand ? And overall comments on the tank and sump and customer service?
Very interesting couldn't afford the waterbox bigger ones and the customer service was horrible.
Great looking tank !!

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this great tank!
I never really looked at these and now I am very intrigued by them !
I have a waterbox 110.5 and was thing of going bigger and the 170 look really nice and a great price!
How is the stand ? And overall comments on the tank and sump and customer service?
Very interesting couldn't afford the waterbox bigger ones and the customer service was horrible.
Great looking tank !!
Stand is marine grade plywood and of good quality. It was very easy to put together, no issues at all. I just wanted wood, not particle board.

Their sumps are awesome and I use one on my other tank as well. Very well thought out, modular, adjustable weirs, covers for all compartments to keep salt creep down, probe and heater holders, dosing line holders, can run 4 inch socks or put the filter caddy in and run floss, goes on and on. Even the 20g sump I use on my 60g cube is great.

Tank is actually nicer than I expected. Seams are perfect and straight, low iron glass on all viewing sides and back comes already blacked out. The 171 comes with thicker glass (19mm) and 40g sump (Fiji-36). Beautiful tank. The LFS I had bring the tank in is a dealer for Waterbox I believe and they were impressed by the Fijicube setup. They asked a ton of questions about the pricing and checked out the quality of everything from top to bottom and gave it 2 thumbs up.

Customer service is great. I had an issue with a skimmer of theirs that I use on my frag tank and they just sent a new pump with no questions asked.

Last edited:

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks !
I would build my own stand to if I could work wood like you do/did.
Just fantastic looking.
I'll be following along !

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks !
I would build my own stand to if I could work wood like you do/did.
Just fantastic looking.
I'll be following along !
On the Fijicube I'm using their stand. The 60g cube I picked up used and the stand was in bad shape. I do prefer that stand to ANY commercial stand... so do most people who see it. If I had time and a place to build them I'd probably build custom stands as a side hustle. I've had a bunch of people inquire if they could buy one. Problem is that since the divorce, I don't have the giant basement to build things anymore and have nowhere here to setup shop.

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosers are calibrated, installed and ready to go. I'll be using 5 out of the 6 heads for now dosing Alk, Ca, Mg, Acropower and one head to add water to the CO2 scrubber daily. CO2 scrubber is connected to the skimmer and good to go. UV is in, I'm just waiting on a some more 1/2 ID line to arrive to plumb the UV return and it can be mounted permanently. All that's left is making the screen top, notching the overflow cover around the middle light bracket and tidying up the lines and wiring. We're about ready for water!

IMG_3991.jpeg

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the hose for the UV return and plumbing everything in. Sump and equipment are all good to go. Screen top and overflow cover left to go. I also made 100g of RODI yesterday and it's sitting in the Brutes waiting for salt. SO close....

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slick build! are you using a ph probe with the co2 scrubber? That plus the oxydator might bump up pH too high, so its good to monitor. Also if you plant to run the refugium i would suggest this (linked below). Flow goes through but most bubbles and all chaeto wont. Doesnt get clogged like filter floss either, I used the rest for spacers and to block light from my refugium

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slick build! are you using a ph probe with the co2 scrubber? That plus the oxydator might bump up pH too high, so its good to monitor. Also if you plant to run the refugium i would suggest this (linked below). Flow goes through but most bubbles and all chaeto wont. Doesnt get clogged like filter floss either, I used the rest for spacers and to block light from my refugium

Thanks! Can't wait to fire it up... I have 145g of RODI waiting for salt in the next room. The contents of the 60g cube as well as the rocks that have been cooking in a Brute out there for the last 9-10 months will be going in there. I'll start with just the livestock and anemones and monitor for any cycling before moving coral in from the frag tank. I'm dropping the heaters in the RODI tonight to start mixing it up tomorrow or Sunday. I still have to make the screen top prior to moving the fish in so it might need to wait until Sunday since tomorrow is supposed to be crappy weather here.

No refugium planned as of yet. The Oxydator will go in the small fuge area of the sump. I'm not worried about the pH running too high. The tank is in the basement and I run the CO2 scrubbers on tanks to keep the pH above 8. I'll monitor it and if the oxydator gives me enough of a pH bump I'll just stop using the CO2 scrubber. One of these days I might actually add a controller to the tanks. For now, I'm the controller.

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need an update!
130g of saltwater made and was prepared to fill the tank. A client of mine got hit with an encryption virus and have been spending all of my time getting them back in business. I do IT for a living. Soon, very soon... work before play I guess.

Back