Fiji Cube 81 Gallon Build

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! First time posting a build thread. I have been in and out of the hobby since high school. I started with a standard 29 gallon with a HOB filter back in the late ‘90s. I had a 20 gallon IM AIO that was eventually upgraded to a standard 120 gallon, on a budget, in my old condo. I ended up tearing that down because I moved (and the ex was less than impressed with the size). Now I think I’m settled for awhile and want to get back into the hobby. Back in early November, I ordered an IM EXT 75. It was supposed to be delivered by YE21. Then by the end of January. I contacted IM yesterday, and they told me maybe by the end of February. The delays were becoming unacceptable; so, I cancelled the order and placed an order for a Fiji Cube 81. Same dimensions, just a couple inches taller. Good news, it has already shipped and should be here the beginning of next week.

So, onto the build details. I’m planning on a wrasse and SPS dominated build, but there will probably be some Euphyllia as well, if the craze dies down and prices come back to Earth.

I have most of my equipment already on hand. Below is a mostly complete list of equipment:
  • ReefBreeders Photon 32 V2+
  • Fiji Cube 30 Sump
  • Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 Skimmer
  • 2x Aquamaxx mini reactors
  • Clear Water CW-50 Algae Scrubber
  • Aquamaxx AF-RS170 Filter Roller
  • Neptune Apex with DIY ATO and semi-automatic water change
  • 1x MP40 for now - will order another
  • DOS for eventual two part
  • Trident
In the basement I have my water change station and an IM 25 Lagoon that will be used as a frag tank.

The frag tank has the following equipment:
  • ReefBreeders Photon 24
  • Aquamaxx NF-1 Nano Skimmer
  • Aqua Illumination Nero 3
  • EB832 connected to the Neptune head
  • Similar ATO and semi-auto
  • DOS for eventual two part
  • Trident
RO/DI is hard plumbed with waste water to the sewer line. Old tank water to the sewer line as well. Tubing run through the floor for the display tank ATO and WC.

Oh, and I built a custom stand. One thing I hated about my previous tanks was a lack of space. So I built a stand that is 40” tall and about 7” larger than the aquarium footprint all around. This also allowed me to fit the 30” sump (and have a nice ledge to hold my whiskey while I’m doing tank maintenance). I’m not much of a carpenter, but I think it came out pretty well. I sealed the top and inside with Gorilla Patch and Seal. I destroyed the hardwood under my last tank with spills; so, this time I wanted to minimize water exposure. Thus, the sealant and semi automatic WCs. Plus no more buckets!

And of course, I did not forget about pictures. So here is my stand, that I originally built for the IM 75 back in December. So glad Fiji Cube makes a tank with the same width/length!

24A652DE-152E-4C21-BFF1-BF9DF384C3A7.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! It looks like you are off to a good start! Welcome to your new adventure!!!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is coming out nice!
great list of goodies too.
I have looked at this tank online many times. good thing (or is it) there is a 2 tank rule in my house or I would prob. have this one too. haha

keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank arrived last week, and overall I am very impressed with it. The seams are perfect. Much better than the seams I have seen on IM tanks; including my current IM 25 frag tank. My only real complaint is I wish the overflow was a little bit higher. It just seems a little low.

I had also built my stand 40” tall with the original plan of getting the IM EXT 75, which is only 19.7” tall. Unfortunately the extra height on the FijiCube is going to mean I’ll need a stool to do maintenance. It doesn’t seem like much of a difference, but it is just enough.

I got a crazy good deal on an open box RedSea Reefer 45 at BRS. I’m going to pair that with an MP40 in the back wall instead of two MP40s as originally planned.

Last weekend I did the plumbing and filled the tank with water. I only had one small leak on one of the unions, which was because I didn’t tighten it enough. I’m going to call my plumbing skills a success. Everything is hard plumbed, and I had a blue and yellow color scheme that I was going with. However I didn’t order enough yellow pipe or fittings. I really wanted to get the tank plumbed over the weekend though; so, I just finished it off with general schedule 40 fittings from Lowes.

I started cycling my dry rock a couple months back in my frag tank in the basement. Yesterday I brought the majority of the rock up to the display tank. I dosed some ammonia and the rest of a bottle of Dr Tims last night and we have already almost returned to zero. Looks like I’ll be ready for fish soon.

Which is a good thing because Mike (aka Dr Reef) has my first two fish currently in quarantine: Cirrhilabrus lunatus and Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis.

So, here is where the tank stands today. I still need to assemble the rocks into my scape as intended. There are about five pieces there, that believe it or not, fit together.

3871C149-0016-4ED8-B501-C31DD73CB1D7.jpeg

That is it for now. I have to get back to work, but I’ll make another post soon with more details on my stocking plans and next steps.

OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have narrowed down my fish stock list. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
  • Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis (currently in QT with Dr. Reef)
  • C. lunatus (currently in QT with Dr. Reef)
  • C. lineatus (a little concerned about this with the rhomboidalis. Thoughts?)
  • Paracheilinus carpenteri
  • P. hemitaeniatus (if I can find one)
  • Macropharyngodon choati
  • Halichoeres chrysus

Other than that, not much progression. Ammonia returned to zero after 24 hours, and the water has cleared up from the sandstorm. I am finally going to get around to checking out some of the LFSs in the Pittsburgh area (I just moved here). And if I’m motivated enough this weekend I might get around to organizing some cables, plumbing the reactors, and installing the filter roller.

OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update. I am still waiting on my first two fish from Dr. reef, but they should be here soon. I was able to get my rockscape assembled, and the sand storm has finally cleared. I check out the Pittsburgh LFS scene last weekend. I was getting really disappointed until my last stop of the day at The Reef Gallery. Amazing store. I picked up a couple frags for the frag tank. I also have some drags coming in from WWC tomorrow. I’ll post some pictures of those if I can be bothered to get the DSLR out this weekend and find the right white balance. In the meantime, my scape. Would love some critiques before my livestock for the display starts to arrive!

EDE13BC3-5F24-4C72-944C-67D6E86B4785.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update. I am still waiting on my first two fish from Dr. reef, but they should be here soon. I was able to get my rockscape assembled, and the sand storm has finally cleared. I check out the Pittsburgh LFS scene last weekend. I was getting really disappointed until my last stop of the day at The Reef Gallery. Amazing store. I picked up a couple frags for the frag tank. I also have some drags coming in from WWC tomorrow. I’ll post some pictures of those if I can be bothered to get the DSLR out this weekend and find the right white balance. In the meantime, my scape. Would love some critiques before my livestock for the display starts to arrive!

EDE13BC3-5F24-4C72-944C-67D6E86B4785.jpeg
Looks great, can't wait to see the fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back