Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone¡

I’ve always loved owning planted aquariums but it’s time progress and dive saltwater reef keeping. After researching for MONTHS I’ve made a huge list of all the equipment from the ghl controller to what coral dip to get. That’s when my slow brain realized I hadn’t picked a tank size. Not planning on dealing with a nano tank’s (<40 gallon) water parameters BUT I also don’t wan’t to spend extra for equipment for bigger tanks (>90 Gallon). When looking at different aquarium brands, I really like the ext aquariums from Fiji Cube (what the heck are these dimensions bruh how are you supposed to pick? Am I crazy or I can literally get the same 90% of the equipment for the 57 and put it on the 81???????).
48 Gallon Shallow 29.2”x23.62”x15.75”
57 Gallon Shallow 35.3”x23.62”x15.75”
81 Gallon 35.3”x23.62”x22.44”
Keep in mind I know bigger = better but if I can go smaller and save my $$$ then I’m happy. I’m aiming to have a bare bottom, low-medium light mainly LPS reef and have 3 options for livestock.

-OPTION #1 (original plan)
• A pair of white banded possum wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata)
• 5 Sexy Shrimp
• Geometric Pigmy Hawkfish (Plectranthias inermis)
-OPTION #2
• A male and a group of female white possum wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata)
• 5 sexy shrimp
-OPTION #3
• A pair of white Banded possum wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata)
•10 sexy shrimp

¡PLEASE tell me what I can get away with and if I should add subtract FOR EACH of the three aquarium sizes¡
I’m aware that the options are expensive and hard to acquire BUT they’re closer to intermediate care than they are to EXPERT ONLY. I plan to add the clean up crew once cycled, then stock the refugium once parameters allow with copepods + algae, then shrimp + softies, and finally fish + lps.
I’m praying I can get some helpful insight and I hope everyone who reads this has a great rest of the day¡

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 48-gallon tank? Easily (and you still have room for more fish).
Ain’t no way. Really¿ I’m gonna go back to the drawing board I guess and keep reading. For that sized tank would you consider that option as being very understocked or do I really still have space for let’s say a 4-5 inch centerpiece fish?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t no way. Really¿ I’m gonna go back to the drawing board I guess and keep reading. For that sized tank would you consider that option as being very understocked or do I really still have space for let’s say a 4-5 inch centerpiece fish?
2 wrasses and a hawkfish? (not even counting the shrimp) Yeah, easily. I had 10 fish in my 25-gallon including a small dwarf angel and sailfin tang, and they were absolutely ecstatic (they've since been moved to a larger system so I don't run afoul of the tang police).

I have 33 fish in my 160-gallon, of which at least a quarter are in excess of 4" (including a 6" marine beta, 5" lamarck's angel and 7" quoy's parrotfish).

Back