Fiji mud

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use it? Good or bad experiences?
I use it and feel it is very beneficial to anyone who started a system with dry rock, or the "live rock" that you can get in a store that is only soaking in a tub.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am using it and can't tell either way so far. I know it has to be beneficial!

Jereamy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use miracle mud which I would assume is pretty much the same thing. I noticed that my corals looked a bit better but the water clarity is what got me. It really made a huge difference for some reason.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on using it as refugium substrate or dosing small amounts to the display like some users have begun? I am considering small amounts of dosing in my tank as i am going with dry rock and want to have as many sources of bacteria and other stuff i can possibly add to the system

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a layer to my sump refugium section. No longer using macro for nutrient export, and I'm still having issues with a ton of heavy metals STNing anything that touches the tank... but I can't say either way if it has helped or not. I'm sure it hasn't hurt anything tho.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using it about five years. First time I used it I got corralines in never had before.
I’ve never had Dino’s. Rarely have cyano regardless of nutints.
Cycled a dry rock tank (my coral qt) with it and got sponges foramanifra and worms.

I dont use much, mostly mixed it into the sand.

The two theories going around are high diversity bacterial and microbial populations and microorganisms competing for nutrients creating a food web of sorts like in soils and allepothy , causing some unwanted organisms from forming in large numbers .
I use miracle mud which I would assume is pretty much the same thing. I noticed that my corals looked a bit better but the water clarity is what got me. It really made a huge difference for some reason.
It’s a man made substrate and a method similar to a deep sand bed. Good stuff though.
Fuji mud is mud from Fiji.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I guess my spirorbid worms came from the Fiji mud... they showed up shortly after I added it.
Could be. Mine were all sand worms. Always hard to say. Eggs are weird.
Like in a dry rock tank, where the heck do diatoms come from? :)

OP
OP
Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies! Figured no one saw this post yesterday. I got a 6lb tub today and added it to my refugium. I started with pukani and i feel like my tank is lacking. About an inch layer maybe a little more. Like said above i know it cant hurt so what the heck! Lol

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that add it to your substrate, do you just mix it all in or place it underneath the sandbed? I rinsed all my dry sand so there is no dust in the tank, so i would be weary of adding this to it as it will then cause a dust storm anytime the sand is disturbed which is what i am hoping to avoid by rinsing the sand. I may just place it underneath all the sand in a single corner and do my best to not disturb that section.

Idk.. @op.. sorry if im thread jacking or going off topic

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that add it to your substrate, do you just mix it all in or place it underneath the sandbed? I rinsed all my dry sand so there is no dust in the tank, so i would be weary of adding this to it as it will then cause a dust storm anytime the sand is disturbed which is what i am hoping to avoid by rinsing the sand. I may just place it underneath all the sand in a single corner and do my best to not disturb that section.

Idk.. @op.. sorry if im thread jacking or going off topic
Not a all. Yes. It makes a mess. :D

But it settles. And yea , you can put a glob in the sump or behind a rock. Ime it’s def not like fine sand.

james lance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the Fiji mud is not as good as the mericale mud I started to see the beenifets right away from the mericale mud but the Fiji mud was like a nutrince sink and I got algae red slime and it don't matter how much water I change I can't keep it out of my display. I never had a problem like the till I switched the mud type this is the only difference same tank running for 5 years. I switched it out only 6 months ago. And I'm switching back .

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the Fiji mud is not as good as the mericale mud I started to see the beenifets right away from the mericale mud but the Fiji mud was like a nutrince sink and I got algae red slime and it don't matter how much water I change I can't keep it out of my display. I never had a problem like the till I switched the mud type this is the only difference same tank running for 5 years. I switched it out only 6 months ago. And I'm switching back .
May I ask how much you used ?
Same as the miracle mud?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back