Filter cups vs filter socks needing input

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think the mesh works as well as the floos socks.. I do the filter floss socks right now.. throw them in the washing machine whigh the wife is never happy with but.. does the job.. sometimes have to turn inside out and run for a second time.. I do use bleach.. I have always wondered if the bleach is an issue.. i understand it is not as long as it is dry..? I might start running an extra cycle and throwing in some decorator.. i do know the mesh socks clean easy..but do the mesh trap as much as the floss socks.. I am betting no.. thanks

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even better than the cup I have a flat plate that I can put a piece of floss on top of. Socks are more effective mechanical filtering but a lot more work to maintain.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a top plate right after my overflows.. so it gets passed through before dropiing into the sump... my issue and concern has always been if the poly fill i get from walmart has some bad stuff in it. I always wondered if it added phoshate or something else.. my skimmer tends to get a bit excited whenever I replace this poly fill and I notice if i dont wash a new filter sock.. same thing..

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cups, blue white sponge 2" wide rolled up into an invert cone. TIght enough that it stays put (4" holder though). No socks at all. Been doing it this way for a couple years now and see no need to change. Sponge will last at least 4 -7days depending. Throw it away, put in another. Buy the sponge in sheets 2x6 ft for $20 and that'll last for 5-6 months. There's a bag of media under that (Chemipure Blue now...switch from my own bag GAC/Phosguard mix).

IMG_20191226_115703526.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cups are nice if you can't put media like carbon anmywhere else. Otherwise is easier just get get a bunch of socks, put dirty ones in a bucket, and then when you need to wash them, throw them in the washer machine with or without a little bleach.
Agreed, very easy and much less wasteful than throwing away dirty floss. I've been using the same 8 socks for 4 years - washing every week or so. Finally decided to get new ones last week because the fabric was pilling up a lot. Still useable.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always afraid of residual detergent, plus I got tired of washing socks all these years...
Mesh socks are cool but if it doesn’t clog as fast, something is passing through?
Anymore I’ve gone with Red Sea Cups + WalMart cheapo batting ... I toss it when clog, cost is extremely minor

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a minor concern with waste...not really losing sleep over a 2x6x1" sponge every 6 months, but I'd prefer less. Was thinking about the sponges I've used in FW (and in baffles) - they made different sizes. Cutting those to fit in cup holder should be ok and that would reduce my waste. Take them out, quick rinse in sink and back in tank. Not going to socks though.

"Power to the sponge, fight the sockopoly!"

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate them all. I found it frustrating to have to change felt socks every two days and mesh socks were not much better at 3 days. I also tried cups with the pillow stuffing type floss and found that in my system it also needed to be changed at the 2 day interval.

I'll offer this endorsement for another option with the disclaimer that I'm only a couple weeks in but the Klir roller filter that fits into sock holes has been really good so far. I'm totally digging not having to change socks and hope it continues to perform well. It seems that some people had difficulty with an older version of it but they seem to have fixed the problem with a more powerful motor. I love hearing that little motor turn for a couple of seconds many times throughout the day and my "smelly" maintenance is now limited to emptying the skimmer cup.

Last edited:

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter pad in the cups, when bought in bulk roll and cut to size cost pennies...
I throw them out , dont wash.
Can cut egg crate, put on top of filter and put a 2nd filter on top...
That is how the filter box on my life reef sump was
That’s a good tip with the eggcrate.
I also found that using “Enkamat” mesh in near top of each filter cup works well also.
The mesh acts a silencer and prolongs need to change poly filter by trapping larger particles.
(Enkamat mesh is rinsed and re-used...and poly filter thrown out )
1613346182478.png

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to swtich out to filter cups in our Waterbox 110 sump...

The cups don't sit tight, and make a lot of noise that the socks and silencers didn't make.

Also I wasn't really thinking about how deep the cups go...I hated the socks partly because of washing them...and partly because the gunk just sits in the water in the bottom 6" in them.

The cups still sit in the water about 3" so I put marinepure spheres in them...then the filter floss on top.

Anyone make shallow cups or a tray that fits in the Waterbox sock area? Or how about gaskets for this size since the cups don't fit snug?

I'm thinking socks were fine.... :(

Just like the idea of tossing and replacing rather than having rotten socks sit around for weeks to get a batch...or washing 2 socks all alone.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the cup camp for a short stint. As far as mechanical filtration goes nothing beats felt socks except maybe a diatom filter. With that said they all suck, which is why I don't use any.

TrevN64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floss user myself - its so dang cheap and easy to toss it - tongs to pull it out and just stuff it full again. Replaced weekly @ water change or as needed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back