Filter Floss in Cups?

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using filter floss in cups that sit in the filter sock spots? Any issues with this? I'm preparing my next build and was thinking this would be a much easier maintenance than dealing with filter socks.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for a while and found the cups get clogged up quickly even with a small amount of floss

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F5C9623-3BB5-4202-80DC-E6A89B760406.jpeg

I think it would work OK. I built this to sit under my outflow pipe from those ‘house for sale’ Info tubes from Lowe’s/ Home Depot. Drilled holes in it and filled it with filter floss. Note however that if you have a lot of flow, and the “cup” you plan on using isn’t as long (deep) as a typical filter sock, water may back up and overflow the top of the cup before it can adequately drain through it. Could you knock the bottom out of one cup and connect a second one under it to make the whole apparatus longer?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying it right now.

I cut the floss so that it will fit around the inside edge of the cup while leaving the center open (basically cut a rectangle the height of the cup x circumference) and have had clearer water than I did with filter socks. But I find myself changing it out every 3-4 days when the socks would last a week.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with your observation about change-frequency, compared to a sock. Easier to change out, but more frequently—a ‘choose your evil’ scenario? Of course, some would say that a more frequent change-out means less ‘gunk’ getting right back into the water, so... Best wishes!

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with your observation about change-frequency, compared to a sock. Easier to change out, but more frequently—a ‘choose your evil’ scenario? Of course, some would say that a more frequent change-out means less ‘gunk’ getting right back into the water, so... Best wishes!

Interesting observations from everyone, definitely seems like a choose your poison. I believe I'm still leaning on the side of filter floss as changing it out can be very quick and much less cleaning maintenance long term. I suffer from lazy syndrome sometimes....

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gone yet personally, but people say that a giant pillow-sized bag from a fabrics/craft store is as cheap as a small bag from a LFS.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filter cups with poly-fil here. I got a big box at the craft store for 30$ and it will last me well over 1 year changing two cups every 3rd day... I deff need to change more often then socks but it takes me all of 30seconds to change. I gave all my socks away a few months after making the switch. I dispise socks!

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cups w floss w one white and one blue side. I cut 10” long by 2 “ wide. Roll it up loosely and place into cup. Works awesome. Change once a week

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The huge advantage of floss over socks to me is that you just pull the floss and toss it in the trash. The socks you have to clean. This alone makes it worthwhile in my book. That being said, I only use it when i do a water change and stir things up to get the detritus out of the tank, so only 2 days a month.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to agree with everyone's sentiment, changing/cleaning socks is a PITA, definitely encouraged to move forward with the filter cups and floss.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cups w floss w one white and one blue side. I cut 10” long by 2 “ wide. Roll it up loosely and place into cup. Works awesome. Change once a week

I use the same type of floss with white on one side and blue on the other but cut 5 inch squares and put them into my Red Sea media cups. I insert the floss white side face up so it is easy to see when you need to change it. They are lasting me 3-4 days on average and is much easier than cleaning the socks.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tunze Macro Wadding. A little goes a long way and it doesn't clog nearly as fast. It's a little coarser than the typical white filter floss.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this until I read the NatGeo article on plastics in the ocean and figured I could wash the socks to do my bit to reduce plastic use. Just me, not preaching (very loudly).

Back