Filtration for frag tank?

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm setting up a 93cube and plan on a 10g inside the stand as my frag tank. I need advice for plumbing.... should I drill the 10g and run a 2nd pump from the sump? Should I just run a HOB and manually dose every week? (Only 2 green chromis in 10g). Should I go with a small canister?

If I run a second return pump from the last chamber of sump, will I have enough display tank water getting into the sump? I plan on using valves to help control flow.

I'll take advice for other ideas so throw it out there

Thnx

Mike

sqcube4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey mike i dont know if you would want to drill the 10 gallon most are tempered .. im not understanding why you would want to run a 2nd pump ..

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled a 10g, man was it a pain. Glass is super thin, so not much structural integrity to work with. If your set on the idea, get the ones from Petsmart, not the ones from Walmart. The ones from Walmart are tempered...

OP
OP
T

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried about having to split the return for the main display . I don't want to throw off any flow to the display . I just thought that a second pump would simplify things

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, plumbing in the Frag system with your main tank is the best way to run it. if you are unable to, then maybe you can find a way to do a weekly water exchange between the two systems. this is what I do with mine. seems to work well enough. Unless I look away and the hose pops out.

OP
OP
T

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 10g. I'll try to drill one later today. Running a small hob sounds good enough though. And I can do the water change like u said using display water

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small HOB on mine. but the Aquaclear ones are the best. you can convert them to house a Fuge, even a skimmer. pul the carbon out and run Chemipure elite and Purigen as well. I ahve an AC20 on my nano at the office and it actually looks better than my 180 at home. LOL.

OP
OP
T

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question..... Should I run my frag tank using gravity from drain (display tank ) or run it off my return. I've seen manifold pics of both ways.

OP
OP
T

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what i did today…. any suggestions? i haven't glued anything yet. quick details. i have the display tank draining into the sump but i have a "T" that goes to my frag tank and fuge. i have valves on all spots to control flows. the frag tank/fuge is drilled and will drain into sump . if anyone has a better idea let me know. also, i didn't want to use a 90 elbow to to sump because i think it cuts some flow but it was very tight having a release connection, "T" and valve so i had to use it...

thanks

Attachments

• PLUMBING1 copy.jpg
    PLUMBING1 copy.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 178
  • PLUM2.jpg
    PLUM2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 140

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back